• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Analyzing Sehwag's batting

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
oh my...when I brought in Kevin Pieterson into the discussion, I didnt realize it would end up like this...so much analysis?? Kevin Pieterson is a fantastic player of spin bowling. Anyone who has seen him play Warne or Murali would agree with that.
He might have had a poor series in Lanka in 07, but he is just 30, give him another series and I am sure he will rectify that.

The reason I mentioned Pieterson was to suggest that even the top players like Pieterson struggle at times when the ball is seaming around a bit and he is up against a top quality fast bowler. My point was not to suggest that he is a bad player or anything, it was infact in support of Sehwag against arguments that he cant perform in unfavourable conditions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You merely said Pakistani players are not good players of spin.
Even avg players are reasonably good players of spin.
Whatever I said, it should be fairly obvious that I didn't mean "no Pakistani batsman has ever been much good against spin". Your run-of-the-mill Pakistan batsman doesn't tend to be that good against it, and there have been many examples of Pakistan batsmen who've made it to Test level with considerable weakness against spin.
You are mistaken. Spinners get wickets by making batsmen play false attacking shots rather than just defensive prods. So if Pietersen gets out playing attacking shots, that shows his lack of temperament and mental ability, and indeed a flaw against spin bowling.
All bowlers get wickets thus. In my book, a batsman has a weakness against a certain type of bowling only if they can get him out by doing something he, with his game, has no power to counter. Pietersen has regular trouble with getting himself out to balls that should not get him out, against both seam and spin, and there is no bias towards one nor the other. Nor is there a flaw in his game which allows spinners to penetrate it, as I say.
Again wrong Richard, see excerpts from cricinfo

Pakistan's key bowlers before the match were always going to be Danish Kaneria and a fully-fit Shoaib Akhtar. Kaneria's four wickets, in particular, on a last day pitch that still held no major alarm but offered him bounce and turn, was crucial. "I knew Kaneria would get turn. He has been bowling really well for the last year and has won us a few matches. I was confident he would do it here as well. - On Multan test match - Cricinfo.com

Tendulkar's words on Chennai pitch - ""I told Yuvi when he played a shot off Monty [Panesar] that landed between short midwicket and long-on: 'Wait till the last run is scored. We need to make sure that both of us complete the runs'. On a track like this, when you lose a wicket, it can become hard for the new batsman. The odd ball will keep a bit low or kick up and you can lose two or three quick wickets. Better to finish the job ourselves."

Swann found turn and bounce, reward for giving the ball a tweak, although he had a tendency to drift too straight rather than making the batsmen drive...... Tendulkar century sets up famous win | India v England, 1st Test, Chennai, 5th day Report | Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Again, there was sharp turn, but the paddle-sweep that greeted the ball was emphatic. As it streaked to fine leg, the batsman ran down the pitch and punched the air in celebration, before being held aloft by his equally delighted partner...Superstar Tendulkar writes the perfect script | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com (Dileep Premachandran)

And on the fourth evening, Gautam Gambhir, a mild-mannered man off the field, had absolutely no doubt that a fast-wearing and untrustworthy pitch wouldn't deter India from going for a win. - A triumph of belief | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com (Sambit Bal)
There is no way either pitch was a turner. If someone described it as such - or predicted it would become such - they were wrong, plain-and-simple. I watched not that far short of every over of both games and while the odd ball turned in the Chepauk match (Kaneria being a wristspinner BTW doesn't need a turning deck to make it go so he's irrelevant - no fingerspinner got it off the straight at all at Multan) there is no way there was significant assistance for spin in either match. In any case, Pietersen's dismissals were as much due to seam as spin - especially his woeful shot against Mohammad Sami in the second-innings at Multan.
He is weak against spin in terms of sheer temparement and skill and I have produced my arguments above. He is a master player of pace bowling I agree. He has only one option against spinners and that is to attack and it often comes out a cropper.
He is a master against any bowling when he plays well enough to do so - and he is well capable, and has several times, played both attacking and defensive innings', of substantial length, against seam and spin. However, against seam and spin he often comes a-cropper due to over-aggressiveness - and sometimes even over-passiveness.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The whole sentence..I didnt quite understand what you meant sorry
Black_Warrior said:
But if you are only going to consider the top 15% as the greats, then thats fair enough but its a very high standard and many of today's greats, averaging over 50 will struggle to make it to that list, including the names I mentioned
me said:
True. But how small the 15/10/20 % is those few guys who have showed adaptability in this 2000s era to score tough runs againts top attacks in difficult conditons - rather not when the pitch is flat. For eg Ponting, Dravid, Sangakkara, KP, Hayden, Kallis, Chanderpaul, Langer etc etc...they are the very good/excellent/great batsmen.
Well all i was saying there in reference to your orginial point. Was the small 15% of modern day batsmen that show adaptability to score runs in not only the large amount of flat decks today - but also when conditions are difficult for batting (even though that has not been a regular in this 2000s era). That small 15% have to be rated higher than the general 85 % of FTBs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hi Richard with all due respect to you I would take Sachin Tendulkar's words ahead of yours anyday. :)
That's great - all Tendulkar actually said was there was a bit of uneven bounce, which is not all that far short of inevitable on a fifth-day deck (there was still far less in that pitch than there will be in many BTW). Tendulkar mentioned nothing about any turn or otherwise. All the rest was written by journalists who, frankly, are absolutely no better judges of the game than me.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
awesome stuff, SJS.. But as I said in the comments there, I feel Lara is the better suited modern great for your point than Sachin.. :)

Apart frm that, agree completely with every single thing you have said in the article...
Well the article is not about Sachin or Lara, it is about unorthodox and aggressive batting. Lara was more orthodox than Sachin in his technique with a perfect grip and exemplary footwork. Sachin has very good technique but it is not classical like Lara's that's why Sachin is mentioned in the passing in that feature not for his otherwise undisputed greatness.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well the article is not about Sachin or Lara, it is about unorthodox and aggressive batting. Lara was more orthodox than Sachin in his technique with a perfect grip and exemplary footwork. Sachin has very good technique but it is not classical like Lara's that's why Sachin is mentioned in the passing in that feature not for his otherwise undisputed greatness.
No offence, SJS.. I agree about Lara's footwork and that Sachin is not as good in that. But I was talking about the backlift and that arc that is created and Lara's jumping around during the initial part.. Far more prone to danger than Sachin's technique, IMHO. But yeah, I agree that was not the point. I was juz referring it mostly in jest.. Hence the smiley..

The article is wonderful though.. I seriously didn't have any idea that Bradman was ridiculed for his technique so much back then. Even in the books you had sent me, they refer to him in a pretty reverential tone.. So hard to imagine him, of all people, copping it so much. I mean, I have heard that people commented his technique was not perfect, but never thought it was to such an extent.

And I agree completely about Sehwag.. The main thing is his aggressive intent. He thinks of defending a ball ONLY when he cannot hit an attacking shot to it. There are so many around the world, including some all timers like Sachin and Ponting, who resort to defence first and then attack... I mean, you can say he is premeditated in his attacking intent but that is just as true for an Atherton or Boycott or Gavaskar who were premeditated in their defensive intent. And we don't criticize them for that, do we? Even Ponting and Tendulkar tend to be pre meditated in defence so many times.. And so was Lara when he was around. We never hold that against them.. Why hold this against Sehwag?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No offence, SJS..
No offence taken HB :)

Just to clarify that Lara Sachin point. Its not about being technically stronger or deficient. Both have wonderful techniques. I was talking about deviation from the classical orthodoxy. That's all. So starting with grip, stance, backlift the classically orthodox has its confines of footwork, body positioning etc. The top hand is the dominant hand, the body for most part is side on, head is over the ball, toes and shoulders are pointing roughly in the direction of the shot and so on.

Sachin deviates more in this than Lara. Tha's all. Its no big deal really because the basic technique remains solid but it is noticeable and will also affect some of your play. To take just one example, Sachin's swing is restricted by his right hand dominated grip so in his atempt to keep the bat from turning as it does for someone like Graham Smith, he will control the at at the end of the swing as in the picture below.

Lara on the other hand is able to swing his bat the complete 360 degrees and will end up like this.

Being the great players that they are, they both get great results its just that Lara's is a bit more natural and unrestrained whereas Sachin's is cultivated and controlled.

One could deviate more from the orthodox like Bradman and end up with this. . .

Bradman does not bother to control his right handed swing, allows his wrists to naturally fold early and uses his great hands and fractionally late driving to keep the ball on the ground.

Finally there is Sobers whose grip is completely devoid of any influence (in the power he generates) from the bottom hand. So he ends up like this.

Now these four are on everyone's shortlist of the greatest batsmen of all time yet they cover a spectrum of grips from most orthodox Sobers , through, Lara onto Sachin and the Bradman.

It would be silly to say that any of them were technically deficient but its easy to see how they vary from the classical.

Thats all there is to it.

Unfortunately, the traditionalists can tend to be a bit fanatical and miss the overall package for the specific details which is sad because if every player on the planet played in exactly the same manner, even if it was perfectly correct, the game would lose most of its charm. :)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The sledging is true. But i disagree that KP was exposed technically, his technique is perfect per se. But the only problems he ever has is mental (thats why the sledging sort of worked, why Yubraj got him LBW a few times in IND last winter & why he keeps holding out stupidly to joke spinenrs like Harris). KP got out to good balls in that series almost all the time.
aCnnot agree with you. His patience was worked over by Vaas, technique by Murali and killer blow by Malinga. KP was pushing and prodding against Murali in the whole tour.

In 06 when your guys toured ENG. Murali & Vaas where handled very well. Thats why i'd say what happened in SRI 07/08 was basically a blimp. How much batsmen ever reverse sweep Murali for 6??
Sooy I beg to differ. Even in that ENG tour when Murali overcame the initial shock, he was bowling beautifully at KP. By the time of 3rd test KP vs Murali was an Equal contest. But in SL with bit of extra support from the pitch Murali totally dominated KP. To compound problems Vaas was also praying on his patience. Malinga kept sending quick stuff at him at aggressive lengths.

Have seen Sidhu & Azhar play Warne - not Murali. The domination is comparable indeed.
Not even close. Azhar and Sidhu gone after Murali multiple times, and Murali never dominated them. But KP was struggling against Murali.

But hey smoked hollywood in 98 given as the Warne/Murali debate goes, since he was the a one-man attack then (no McGrath, Fleming, Gillespie). In those conditions he could not contain those batsmen.
Sidhu played only few times against Warne. Not as often as Murali, so lesser chance of being smoked regularly.

Ganguly never smoked Warne in the series i saw 98, 99/00, 01 & 04, KP defiantely played Warne better than him. Saw Ganguly play Murali in 05 & 08, KP was better againts Murali.
1997-2001 era Ganguly was supreme against spin. Warne did not come across him regularly, possibly once or twice in ODIs he went after Warne. (I have to check that out)

Ranatunga hmmm, smoked Warne in 96 WC Final yea. While my memory of the 99 AUS to SRI was that Warne had most of SRI batsmen in check.
In first SL-AUS series away and home, Ranatunga treated Warne with disdain. In Aussie tour he kept getting out to fast bowlers, but when ever he met Warne, he did smoked some boundaries.

The only other batsmen who can really compare to dominating Warne for example like KP & Lara was Saleem Malik in 94.
Vinod Kambli at Sharjah went berserk against Warne, 25 runs off 7 balls IIRC. Kambli never played Warne after that IIRC. But that burst was as good as any assault on Warne by anyone.

Sir Alex

Banned
That's great - all Tendulkar actually said was there was a bit of uneven bounce, which is not all that far short of inevitable on a fifth-day deck (there was still far less in that pitch than there will be in many BTW). Tendulkar mentioned nothing about any turn or otherwise. All the rest was written by journalists who, frankly, are absolutely no better judges of the game than me.
I would take my own eyes however ahead of any of these...

Also what abt Inzy's words?