• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Double Match Day - NZ v Sri Lanka (27th Sept)

Howsie

International Captain
Moles is an interesting coach but IMO besides Broom this is one of our strongest lineups in years.
Broom isn't the problem. Give him half a chance (like today) and he'll put a score on the board.

I would like to see how Ross Taylor's career would have gone if he was made to play his first 10-15 games at 6-7.

Athlai

Not Terrible
That might be true but I still don't rate the NZ batting. It is highly dependent on 2 players and they are not going to succeed every time.
Guptill, Ryder, Taylor, McCullum and Elliott are all good limited overs batsman.

A fit (that still had knees) Styris or McMillan would make this a pretty gun outfit.

Athlai

Not Terrible
To be fair though, when he was batting around number seven with success there was much advocation for him to be promoted up the order so his talent wasn't wasted when the overs ran out at the end of an innings - plus he's proven at domestic level how devestating he can be when he gets momentum, remembering the 170-odd for Otago against Auckland in a domestic semi-final or final. Whilst Bracewell might've been behind executing the decision it wasn't as though it was an altogether unpopular one at the time IMO (although obviously there were those who argued he was better to remain down the order).
Just for the record I think he should open.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Guptill, Ryder, Taylor, McCullum and Elliott are all good limited overs batsman.

A fit (that still had knees) Styris or McMillan would make this a pretty gun outfit.
McCullum is not making runs except very slowly.

Guptill and Elliott are not proven yet though I do rate Guptill

It is largely dependent on Taylor and Ryder the way I see it as it stands right now.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Broom isn't the problem. Give him half a chance (like today) and he'll put a score on the board.
I'll be interested to see what happens today and hope he does well, but he just doesn't look good enough. Like, he basically struggles to get bat on ball, even against Jayasuriya and Kandamby. From my POV the criticism of Broom is simply because, watching him bat, he doesn't look the part.

thierry henry

International Coach
Why on Earth is Kandamby bowling btw? What's the rationale there. Surely they have enough overs in the other 6 bowlers to not need him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
McCullum can't make runs except very slowly. I think there is a fair enough argument that he plays the sheet anchor role though as there is no one to do that for NZ (Vettori apparently isn't good enough).

Guptill and Elliott are not proven yet though I do rate Guptill

It is largely dependent on Taylor and Ryder the way I see it as it stands right now.
Not proven? Both Guptill and Elliott have almost the same amount of runs as Ryder.

Howsie

International Captain
Haha oh well. Looks like Broom does suck :ph34r:

We are probably the worst team at this tournament.

kingkallis

International Coach
And now broom goes as well...

Its time to send some Kiwis officials to SAF.....go get some fine talent! You dont have anything left in Kiwiland it seems!

kingkallis

International Coach
Jayasuriya is having a good day with ball and that will boost his confidence when he comes onto bat!

Trouble for the Kiwis...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Athlai said:
Not proven? Both Guptill and Elliott have almost the same amount of runs as Ryder.
Taylor has played 66 ODIs which is more than Guptill and Elliott combined. Same goes for runs too.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
What an absolute disgrace of a shot from Broom given the match situation. Far out....

All on Vettori and Franklin, really hoping we can pass 230 now. Hopefully Guptill can bat through.

Meridio

International Regular
What an absolute disgrace of a shot from Broom given the match situation. Far out....
Ah, it was short and wide and asking to be hit - would be bad cricket not to have a go at it. He just made a complete mess of it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
quote=Athlai]Not proven? Both Guptill and Elliott have almost the same amount of runs as Ryder.
Taylor has played 66 ODIs which is more than Guptill and Elliott combined. Same goes for runs too.[/QUOTE]

Was referring to how Ryder has played about the same as Guppy and Elliott yet was an established batsman.