• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

BoyBrumby

Englishman
And if Tres is still unavailable?
Ramps to three, Trott in at four. Would rather not play a bloke in his first test in such a situation, but retain doubts about Fat Bob's technique at the highest level & Trott seems a confident chap. Lacks our English diffidence.

JBH001

International Regular
Scaly made some apt comments regarding the inclusion of Ramps for the Oval. And despite everyone's hopes Tresco is not going to play either. The issue is whether England actually opt for two new test batsmen for such a pivotal test - I am not sure they should. Frankly, I would rather retain Bopara if he is still up for it, but drop Bell if need be (he never should have returned - England wasted a chance there of playing Key/Trott/Joyce). Bopara also needs to go away and score some runs in the week and a half before the fifth test for his CC side. Therefore, Key preferably, or Joyce or Trott, in place of Bell. The only other change, imo, should be Flintoff for Harmison but only if Freddie is fully fit. The last thing England need is Flintoff falling over halfway through the match. Oh, and Sidebottom in for Anderson if Jimmy is unfit.

Hence a possible XI for The Oval:

Strauss
Cook
Key
Collingwood
Bopara
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bopara can't play, I think I'll actually cry if he does. He won't score any runs, especially if one of the openers goes early.

I'm not sure Ramps is the answer but I'm also not sure he'd do any worse than Bopara. At the minute it's just CW talk and what not, would be interesting to see if the selectors are thinking about him.

We should offer Tresco five million quid to play I reckon

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
At the minute it's just CW talk and what not, would be interesting to see if the selectors are thinking about him.
Ramps' possible selection was being discussed on BBC radio today (TMS at lunchtime I think, or Radio 5 after the end of the game). However the pundits thought that it was a ridiculous idea.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I doubt Ramps is expecting the call. The time for a recall, if he was ever going to get one, was probably 06-07.

TBH I don't care who they bat as long as it's not Bopara, honestly.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah a mercy culling for Bopara is both inevitable and appropriate methinks

Not desperately in favour of this because it's bound to interfere with Sussex's bid to avoid relegation from Div 1, but Ed Joyce would be a decent bet. Fine player, near his peak, and in good form.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Scored his only international ton against the crims as well IIRC. Meh, let go of the straws Martyn! We need to make a decision on this side early, whoever is going to play needs time to prepare.

Bopara shouldn't have played at Headingley, doubt it would have made a difference to the result, in fact you could say it's a good thing as it wouldn't have been a great match to give someone a debut. Nonetheless, time to go Bopara.

I thought he had improved after his performances versus the West Indies but he's looked worse here than he did in Sri Lanka, no mean feat.

JBH001

International Regular
Hmmm, you guys are probably right. I just dont like the idea of playing two newbies in such a pivotal test.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hmmm, you guys are probably right. I just dont like the idea of playing two newbies in such a pivotal test.
I don't either tbh, but I think to hand one a debut would be alright, and if I had my way (Ramps) there would be no need for two newbies, just one.

pasag

RTDAS
Bring back Vaughan, would have scored more than 105 runs at 15 and might have just possibly captained better than Strauss.....just possibly.

howardj

International Coach
My Pommy rump for the Oval

Strauss
Cook
Keybo
Collingwood
Bell
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swan
Anderson
Harmison

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's only when there's a modicum of help for the bowlers that the current inept batting line-up are found wanting. If the Oval is it's usual self Bell is just as likely to get runs as the rest of the hillbilles that are being bandied about.
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they just shuffled the pack with Bell at 3, Collingwood 4 and Bopara 5.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Bring back Vaughan, would have scored more than 105 runs at 15 and might have just possibly captained better than Strauss.....just possibly.
Easier said in hindsight. I would disagree strongly if I wasn't suffering from Post-Traumatic Strauss Disorder.

pasag

RTDAS
Assuming there are no changes, the best thing for mine is to hide the deadwood down the order. If Prior can do it, have:

Strauss
Cook
Collingwood
Prior
Bopara
Bell

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Assuming there are no changes, the best thing for mine is to hide the deadwood down the order. If Prior can do it, have:

Strauss
Cook
Collingwood
Prior
Bopara
Bell
Problem with that is it sends out a very negative message, it very much looks like England are trying to hide their weaker players, and as such will send out very bad vibes. Though I do not rate Collingwood I would not bat him at three, as in a worst case scenario he is the only batsman who can really dig in and scrap, though he hasn't done a great job of this so far, he is the only one with teh character to do it, and so is needed lower in the order.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Problem with that is it sends out a very negative message, it very much looks like England are trying to hide their weaker players, and as such will send out very bad vibes. Though I do not rate Collingwood I would not bat him at three, as in a worst case scenario he is the only batsman who can really dig in and scrap, though he hasn't done a great job of this so far, he is the only one with teh character to do it, and so is needed lower in the order.
Did a pretty good job in the first couple of Tests, tbf. Particularly at Cardiff.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Did a pretty good job in the first couple of Tests, tbf. Particularly at Cardiff.
Yeah, indeed, can't fault his record on a lot of occasions, but I've just never been convinced of him as a test batsman. Though he occasionally does pull it out of the bag with a scrappy courageous innings, when I see him walking into bat, it's always with a sense of hope rather than expectation, unlike when Graham Thorpe was playing the same role.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm with you on that. Can't quite believe he's got an average comparable to Thorpe's after more than 50 Tests.