• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL hurting the international game

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:yawn:

Test cricket alone cannot fund the game and retain top talent on a global scale. IPL has the cash and intervenes in the schedule only for a month or two in a year. It must be given a window and that should solve all problems. **** the ODIs.
Agreed. Trying to fit it all in is what's killing the game, not T20.

Speaking personally, Test cricket is the form I enjoy most. T20, though, is a distillation of the only bits I like about ODI's anyway. I've seen heaps of T20's I've enjoyed but, save for the occasional awesome game, there's been probably 5-10 ODI's in the past 10 years I can honestly say I enjoyed. Wouldn't weep at all if the number of ODI's was reduced drastically. At the risk of another broken record.jpg, I'll say what I've been saying for a while; as long as Tests are viewed as the top level of the game, they'll survive. Everyone's worried about Tests losing their primacy. Myself, their recency is what needs to be protected.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't see anyone having a go at T20, just the IPL.
Ah, yeah clearly I didn't read thread title or other posts properly.

Still have no problem with the IPL. I missed the entire thing this year and didn't care that much but, like everything else (including Test cricket), it has to compete in the marketplace. It's up to the respective cricketing board to keep their product competitive, not 'we were here first' politics.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
:yawn:

Test cricket alone cannot fund the game and retain top talent on a global scale. IPL has the cash and intervenes in the schedule only for a month or two in a year. It must be given a window and that should solve all problems. **** the ODIs.
No need to scrap ODI's. But 7 match ODI series should ceased to exist for sure.

Pigeon

Banned
No need to scrap ODI's. But 7 match ODI series should ceased to exist for sure.
ODIs are occupying a lot of space and time in the International time table. If half of them was allocated to T20 including the IPL, it would not only guarantee a full window for IPL, but also ample rest time for players. The financial loss caused to member boards can easily be recuperated from the increased profits from the IPL. The ICC should levy a "royalty" from the IPL for ensuring seamless participation by players of other countries. Thus everyone profits and test cricket lives.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ODIs are occupying a lot of space and time in the International time table. If half of them was allocated to T20 including the IPL, it would not only guarantee a full window for IPL, but also ample rest time for players. The financial loss caused to member boards can easily be recuperated from the increased profits from the IPL. The ICC should levy a "royalty" from the IPL for ensuring seamless participation by players of other countries. Thus everyone profits and test cricket lives.
I'm tired of hearing this flat point. (No personal offence to you though).

If you abandon ODI's what would happen to countries like outside AUS, ENG, SA who have very subs-standard FC competitions & inadvertently select players based on ODI form into test cricket. Surely you don't want be selecting players based on T20 form for test matches?

Pigeon

Banned
I'm tired of hearing this flat point. (No personal offence to you though).

If you abandon ODI's what would happen to countries like outside AUS, ENG, SA who have very subs-standard FC competitions & inadvertently select players based on ODI form into test cricket. Surely you don't want be selecting players based on T20 form for test matches?
Selecting players on the basis of ODIs is as justifiable as selecting them on the basis of T20s, perhaps except for the openers who stand a chance to play for more than 2 hours.

Flem274*

123/5
IPL, whilst it has every right to exist, still risks pulling players away from the less financially secure nations. In fact, it probably will. This will impact on test cricket when we see such and such's fourth XI get mauled by Australia or England or India, because these boards can actualy pay their guys.

You can hardly blame the boards either, money doesn't grow on trees and the FC domestic teams and players, kids cricket, womens cricket etc need to be paid for. The national boards can only pay the top echelon so much.

People may say the players have every right to choose IPL or whatever over their country, but I still think its flat out wrong. Every little boy and girl that likes sport has wanted to represent their country in it one day, and to see the possibility of players decline this in favour of some whoring corporate franchise hit and giggle side is just gutting. Thats just my opnion however.

As for international 20/20s, if they kill off ODIs I'd be disappointed because I prefer them more, but if ODIs have to go so everyone can coexist peacefuly, then go right ahead. get it done yesterday.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

Regardless of standard of domestic competition, it is still possible to watch players relative to their peers and select them based on that, just requires more effort from selectors to actually identify the talent.

Polo23

International Debutant
Wonderful. Yeah they have to live in the 60s and 70s just because they play cricket? Grow up.
You're kidding me right? The 60's and 70's? The IPL's been going for 2 years moron, I recall cricketers doing fine for a good decade before that.

Pigeon

Banned
You're kidding me right? The 60's and 70's? The IPL's been going for 2 years moron, I recall cricketers doing fine for a good decade before that.
Oh really? So then why they clamour for the commentary bozes, coaching jobs etc once they retire? And tell me cricketers who played in the past and are comfortably well off today? If am not mistaken, there are players who drive taxis to make a living.

And what is this "comfortable salary" that they get from the Board? If given a chance to earn more, why in the world should they not go for it? Just because they are players they cannot earn more than what their Board gives them? How ridiculous.

Polo23

International Debutant
Oh really? So then why they clamour for the commentary bozes, coaching jobs etc once they retire? And tell me cricketers who played in the past and are comfortably well off today? If am not mistaken, there are players who drive taxis to make a living.

And what is this "comfortable salary" that they get from the Board? If given a chance to earn more, why in the world should they not go for it? Just because they are players they cannot earn more than what their Board gives them? How ridiculous.
What the hell is bozes?

Why wouldn't cricketers need jobs after they retire? They are no longer making money playing cricket, so of course they have to get another job. How ridiculous for you to think otherwise. The majority of international cricketers were making good money before the IPL ever came along, are you that much of a chump to think otherwise?

I never said they shouldn't try to earn more money. I simply agreed with someone who said the IPL could destroy test cricket.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5

Quite a few cricketers have degrees, and FC cricketers here have "real" jobs. I know of two school teachers in the current CD first XI for instance, and one will probably join the openers merry go round for NZ if he keeps batting well.

EDIT: Trent Boult for example, on his cricinfo profile or somewhere says he wants to be a chef if things don't work out in cricket (sorry Boulter :p). I find it hard to imagine in this day and age cricketers have no second option. Hell, normal people with stable-er lives have second options.

Last edited:

Pigeon

Banned
What the hell is bozes?

Why wouldn't cricketers need jobs after they retire? They are no longer making money playing cricket, so of course they have to get another job. How ridiculous for you to think otherwise. The majority of international cricketers were making good money before the IPL ever came along, are you that much of a chump to think otherwise?

I never said they shouldn't try to earn more money. I simply agreed with someone who said the IPL could destroy test cricket.
Why they have to? They devoted a large part of their youth playing the game and hence have little other skills to take care of them post retirement. So since they invested so much in cricket, it is only natural that it provide them a near perennial source of income, That is what the humungous salaries offered by the IPL does. In one word "SAVINGS".