• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swalec Stadium

Does the Swalec Stadium deserve Test status?

• Total voters

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Forgot to comment on the outfield as well, which is pretty slow. Particularly compared to most grounds in England which are like billiard tables.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally I don't think lightning-fast outfields add much to the play.

The pitch has been fascinating so far tbh. It's not a minefield, but no one really knows what it'll do. Just enough there to keep the batsmen honest.

Scaly piscine

Just to summarise this as a Test ground compared to the others available to the ECB.

Lowest capacity
Crap backdrop
Bad transport links
Terrible pitch
Slow outfield
Worst weather
Lazy groundstaff
No international cricket history
Very forgettable county cricket history
Home of no international players now or in the foreseeable future
Poor atmosphere

Congratulations ECB. You'd rival Robert Mugabe for twisted incompetence.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Personally I don't think lightning-fast outfields add much to the play.

The pitch has been fascinating so far tbh. It's not a minefield, but no one really knows what it'll do. Just enough there to keep the batsmen honest.
:huh:

Scaly piscine

In the sense that nobody knows what it's going to do.

Although it's not now. Now it's just boring. And looking like a nailed-on draw.

Was pretty obvious. I called it months ago as have most of the players. Guys like Swann and Simon Jones have said exactly how it would behave.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Haha indeed ^^^

Poor atmosphere, lacked the grandeur needed for an opening Ashes Test (that Lords would have given), loads of empty seats today, terrible pitch, crap weather and rubbish supporters.

Great show Cardiff. Sick of everyone in the BBC and Sky Sports harping on about how great everything has been, when it really hasn't.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBH I am not reading anything into the current state of the match seems as it's being played in a neutral venue. Fully instead an Ashes Test in Wellington next year to return the favour.

Matt79

Global Moderator
TBH I am not reading anything into the current state of the match seems as it's being played in a neutral venue. Fully instead an Ashes Test in Wellington next year to return the favour.
Wow - you post English about as well as your team bowls mate... :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
lacked the grandeur needed for an opening Ashes Test (that Lords would have given)
I'm dead-set against Lord's hosting the Ashes opener. Was an ancient tradition for it to host the sophomore match, and what's more there's Australia's outstanding record there to consider.

Between 1899 (when the five-Test series became the norm) and 2001, there were 24 series', and only once (in the impromptu, relatively hastily arranged series in 1977) was the Lord's Test anything but the Second Test.

I'm glad it's back to the proper pattern this year and hope it reverts to it again from now on. Have absolutely no idea why Lord's rather than Edgbaston hosted the opener in 2005.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Never touched a drop of anything last night though and had slept in yesterday morning so wasn't tired. Inexcusable tbh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I make mistakes almost as often when tired as when :drunk: myself TBH. And I imagine you had the lie-in this morning not last night?

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
can't be bothered to trawl through the thread to find it but I do believe I predicted KP to fall early and Strauss and Colly to be the key wickets....