• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That's fine, so do I. But I'm not sure why you're arguing/telling me that when I already dislike what Elliott tonight - I was directly discussing with Top_Cat one aspect of his play. Not exactly sure what point you're trying to prove.
Wasn't disagreeing with what you are saying. Just using at as a reference to point out what I thought was the worst part of his dig.

Howsie

International Captain
I was impressed with Ian Butlers bowling tonight, and he still has abit of pace. He did get up to 139kph. Nathan McCullum looked pretty good with the ball to, get him in the ODI team over Jeetan Patel. How much better has Ian Butler's batting got, I saw his innings in the State Shield final and he can whack them. Any chance of him playing a all-rounders role in ODI cricket.

Dydl

International Debutant
By more than a mile.
Bracken really redeemed himself after some un-Bracken like performance towards the end of the CH.
Didn't play that great for the last couple of ODIs, but really redeemed himself here. Enjoyed hearing his comments for that last over too.

Wasn't expecting the rain to hold off either, pleased and surprised that we got a full, uninterrupted match. Women's game wasn't so lucky though.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
I dunno man. He just kept playing and missing. imo that shows he struggled with the pace of the pitch and the bowling, very much a hand/eye/talent thing
Agreed. To lose to a mediocre target with so many wickets left is terrible. If we missed out chasing 180-200, then I could understand. Elliott seems an average player thats had a few good innings. he can get away with it in one dayers if he has enough time but I think its fair to label him a limited player.

On another note wish Nathan McCullum hadnt hit those last two deliveries. Losing by ten would have been easier to take than losing by one.

Someone mentioned a while ago that the new tactic of NZ was to bat normally at the start and not try to hit over the top early, just retain wickets for later on in the innings. That seems to be the way they have played. I hope its not true as they are putting themselves under so much pressure at the end of an innings and sometimes we just dont make it like tonight. The first one dayer we almost couldnt muster 180 odd. We almost ran out of time. Same in the second game. And the same tonight.

Surely you should be trying to win the game with an over or two to spare, rather than waiting until its late in the innings. And that means going hard early is important. A good first 6 or 7 overs and it would have been no problem, but we just try and pace it right through and put pressure on ourselves right until the end.

When you think about it its better to have a go early. Asking genuine batsmen to hit a few boundaries early is better than asking tailenders to come in, in a pressure situation and hit boundaries early at the end of a game. McCullum and Elliott paced it so they needed 40 odd of 25 balls. A situation where one wicket means a tailender has to come in and deal with that situation. Not smart. Have a go earlier, get the runs down to something like a run a ball, then at least if you get out the tailender has a bit of time to see a few deliveries before he needs to smack it.

I hope its not a new policy of theirs to go slowly at the start and save wickets for later. Always going to be under pressure and like tonight, could lose the game with plenty of wickets left. Brings up the question Ive always wondered about with cricket coaches generally coaching players that are better than them. I hope this new Moles fellow isnt coaching them to bat like an English county cricketer from the 70's.

Then again maybe we just had a bad day.:@

thierry henry

International Coach
Someone mentioned a while ago that the new tactic of NZ was to bat normally at the start and not try to hit over the top early, just retain wickets for later on in the innings. That seems to be the way they have played. I hope its not true as they are putting themselves under so much pressure at the end of an innings and sometimes we just dont make it like tonight. The first one dayer we almost couldnt muster 180 odd. We almost ran out of time. Same in the second game. And the same tonight.

Surely you should be trying to win the game with an over or two to spare, rather than waiting until its late in the innings. And that means going hard early is important. A good first 6 or 7 overs and it would have been no problem, but we just try and pace it right through and put pressure on ourselves right until the end.

When you think about it its better to have a go early. Asking genuine batsmen to hit a few boundaries early is better than asking tailenders to come in, in a pressure situation and hit boundaries early at the end of a game. McCullum and Elliott paced it so they needed 40 odd of 25 balls. A situation where one wicket means a tailender has to come in and deal with that situation. Not smart. Have a go earlier, get the runs down to something like a run a ball, then at least if you get out the tailender has a bit of time to see a few deliveries before he needs to smack it.

I hope its not a new policy of theirs to go slowly at the start and save wickets for later. Always going to be under pressure and like tonight, could lose the game with plenty of wickets left. Brings up the question Ive always wondered about with cricket coaches generally coaching players that are better than them. I hope this new Moles fellow isnt coaching them to bat like an English county cricketer from the 70's.
Moles is mate, he came out and said it.

I think it is a big mistake and I think our limited overs batting is way off the mark atm

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
I'll say.

Best of the summer IMO.
Good effort but isnt that normal?. Seen that plenty of times where the guy catches it on the boundary, throws it up and runs back in and catches it again.

LMAO at the new commentator Brayshaw. Guy could hardly stop yelling about it and said "he'd never seen that in his life". Has this guy seen any cricket before?. or is he just ...... one of those.
i mean good catch and all, but the commentator just cracked me up.

What's happened to Aussies eh???? You guys have gone all American on us. or is it just your commentators. Just cut it out. Boon and Hughes should be in the commentary team. real Aussies.

pup11

International Coach
Good effort but isnt that normal?. Seen that plenty of times where the guy catches it on the boundary, throws it up and runs back in and catches it again.

LMAO at the new commentator Brayshaw. Guy could hardly stop yelling about it and said "he'd never seen that in his life". Has this guy seen any cricket before?. or is he just ...... one of those.

What's happened to Aussies eh???? You guys have gone all American on us. or is it just your commentators. Just cut it out. Boon and Hughes should be in the commentary team. real Aussies.
The current C9 commentary team is bad as it is, but if Hughes and Boon join it, our ears would bleed to death tbh.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year

Played 75 games of FC cricket, so I'd say he knows quite a bit. Ordinary commentator, though.

profernity

U19 Debutant
The only time I found James Brayshaw interesting was when he was on the radio show Get This, talking about one time when he was being viciously verballed by John Bracewell, before Ewen Chatfield came up to him and said, "Don't worry about him, he digs graves for a living".

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Boon and Hughes should be in the commentary team. real Aussies.
Wow you have got to be kidding re: Merv Hughes. I am assuming you haven't heard his commentary but he's commentated a few domestic games this year and he's quite easily the worst commentator I've ever heard. He was so bad I watched the domestic 20/20 final on mute.

EDIT: See this for an example.

Last edited: