• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis Vs Sobers

The better allrounder?

• Total voters

Evermind

International Debutant
But these are not reasons to vote for Kallis as being better than Sobers. They are reasons not to participate in the poll at all.

To be fair, Sobers' career is hardly shrouded in the mists of time. Plenty of people have watched both him and Kallis play and can therefore attempt a direct, first-hand comparison (albeit not on CW - most of the people here are too young). We are not talking about the 1870s, we're talking about the 1960s and 1970s.

The fact is that Sobers was, at the time when he played, recognised by just about everyone as the outstanding player of his time. That suggests that the Sobers-adulation isn't just rose-tinted restrospection.

Few people would suggest that Kallis is the outstanding player of his generation. One of the very best, yes, but he didn't by any means overshadow, for instance, Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting, McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Murali etc. This is not, of course, conclusive evidence that Sobers was better than Kallis - it's possible, if unlikely, that these half dozen or so modern-day players were all better than Sobers - but it does indicate that those who rate Sobers more highly are not just afflicted by misty-eyed hindsight.

A few years ago Wisden selected its top 5 players of the 20th Century. Sobers was number 2. The panel was (IIRC) 100 top cricket writers. You will find it difficult, I think, to write that appraisal off as some kind of mass hysteria. Why write off the equivalent opinions of CW contributors - less esteemed though they may be - quite so glibly as you have?

I wrote a long reply to this, and 80% of the way through it, deleted it when I realised I just don't care about the issue enough. :( Your points are well-put, and I have some agreements and some disagreements, but I don't have enough energy to put into this.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Pretty sure we've had an incredibly lengthy debate on Imran vs Sobers in the past.
but isn't that why forums are there?for debates...?would be a dull forum if ppl couldnt express their views.and pls don't take offense and start insulting.just saying.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
but isn't that why forums are there?for debates...?would be a dull forum if ppl couldnt express their views.and pls don't take offense and start insulting.just saying.
Haha not at all. Its just that a lot of the topics have been done to death and that particular one was quite lengthy and most everything that needed to be said has been said. Though noone's stopping you from digging up a thread if you have something to add to it.

EDIT: I believe this was the thread that the topic was discussed in.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/23849-garry-sobers-master-black-magic-49.html

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A few years ago Wisden selected its top 5 players of the 20th Century. Sobers was number 2. The panel was (IIRC) 100 top cricket writers. You will find it difficult, I think, to write that appraisal off as some kind of mass hysteria. Why write off the equivalent opinions of CW contributors - less esteemed though they may be - quite so glibly as you have?
It lends largely due to the fact that at the time people did not tend to even mention strike-rate. I remember when people were trying to "dispell" the black magic thread by quoting historians but none of them ever mentioned SR and even praised statistics that would seem mediocre today. Even going into the irrelevant and talking about his FC success.

The thing that made Sobers superb in people's eyes was that he took at least 2 wickets a game. Well, he bowled a lot of overs to get those two. These days, if someone were bowling with a SR relative to Sobers' he wouldn't be praised so universally for his all-round abilities. Simply put, for most of his career Sobers' bowling wouldn't have merited discussion in this era - it was pretty poor, even for spinners.

I voted for Kallis here not because I think he was better - I don't know, I think it's close. But these over-exaggerations about Sobers are bothersome.

Last edited:

0RI0N

State 12th Man

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That probably has to do more with the fact that there are more superior batsmen in more teams. The three good sides of that time were pretty much Australia, England and West Indies. Nowadays it's Australia, S.Africa, India, Sri Lanka and England.
You flatter us, sir.

I voted Kallis simply because I believe post-Packer cricket is a superior, faster game, and because it annoys me how people here discuss all the old cricketers like they've seen them personally or on TV. All they know about them is from a couple of books and statsguru. I also think Kallis is criminally underrated on CW and world cricket in general, and is probably the greatest (along with Murali) cricket player playing at the moment.
Couple of points to address there. I'll take the easy one first because I'm lazy like that; yes, Kallis is underrated on CW and the greater cricketing world. I think it's because he's perceived as something of a fair weather and selfish player, rightly or wrongly. There have been occasions when he's looked like he was batting for himself rather than his team & seems (or has seemed until the last year or so) a sometimes reluctant bowler.

Add to this a reputation for dimness (he used to be known as "Kalahari", I believe, because like the desert of the same name there's not much there) and an unprepossessing physical appearance (burly Afrikaner bruiser, essentially) it's easy to see why he's a player who is admired rather than genuinely loved.

Your second point has been touched on by others, but I'll add my tuppence worth anyway. Yes, cricket has moved on since the 50s, 60s & 70s and if we took Kallis and somehow put him back in 1965 there's no doubt he'd make hay with his superior fitness and lightly-pressed bat that carries top edges for six & I suspect Sobers might initially struggle if he were moved from 65 to now. However I see no reason to think that Sir Gaz wouldn't quickly adapt; his breadth of cricketing abilities suggest a versatile player.

My gist is, and it's a theme I've gone on about before on CW, is that being the best of one's peers is all one can expect of a sportsman (Bradman being the exception that proves the rule, obv) & Sobers was certainly that. If we look at the top run scorers in the 1960s, the decade that saw the best of him, only the criminally underrated Kenny Barrington tops his record. Kallis in the 2000s is also very close to the summit, but has rather more company with him, possibly suggesting batting has become easier generally.

Not according to the man himself - he says he got rid of one at about 11/12 using a length of catgut and a sharp tug and the other at 14/15 using a knife - it does seem rather extraordinary but I can't see why he'd lie about it
Eeuuw. He's lucky he didn't bleed to death or go into shock. Must smart a tad; removing a digit.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eeuuw. He's lucky he didn't bleed to death or go into shock. Must smart a tad; removing a digit.
Thinking about it I suspect LT's post boxes that one off - I have never seen a description of the surplus digits - it is a horrible thought and I'm struggling to get the image out of my mind - wish I'd not mentioned it TBH given it was totally irrelevant to the issue!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wouldn't Sobers vs Imran have been a better poll?
No. It'd be a nightmare, same as it was the last 3,000-post thread (or whatever it was). Trust me. :)

EDIT: I see our resident AC\DC fan has beaten me to it.

Slifer

International Captain
It lends largely due to the fact that at the time people did not tend to even mention strike-rate. I remember when people were trying to "dispell" the black magic thread by quoting historians but none of them ever mentioned SR and even praised statistics that would seem mediocre today. Even going into the irrelevant and talking about his FC success.

The thing that made Sobers superb in people's eyes was that he took at least 2 wickets a game. Well, he bowled a lot of overs to get those two. These days, if someone were bowling with a SR relative to Sobers' he wouldn't be praised so universally for his all-round abilities. Simply put, for most of his career Sobers' bowling wouldn't have merited discussion in this era - it was pretty poor, even for spinners.

I voted for Kallis here not because I think he was better - I don't know, I think it's close. But these over-exaggerations about Sobers are bothersome.

Yeah but ovrexaggeration of ur beloved Australians arent (ex Warne Lillee etc)???

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but ovrexaggeration of ur beloved Australians arent (ex Warne Lillee etc)???
No, because, at worst they're a few points off in Avg./SR...not like 10-30. There's a legitimate claim there. But apart from hearsay I wouldn't say there are many Aces in the "Sobers Easily The Greatest All-Rounder" argument.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
What 10-30 points off are u talking about? and as far as Sobers and aces see His exploits in sheffield shield cricket where he scored 1000 runs and took 50 wkts twice in a season (something Miller never achieved). Or his exploits in England where he scored 700 + runs and took 20 + wkts and i could go on and on. And if Sobers is overated as an allrounder then so are Warne (as the greatest spinner) and Lillee as the best paceman.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What 10-30 points off are u talking about? and as far as Sobers and aces see His exploits in sheffield shield cricket where he scored 1000 runs and took 50 wkts twice in a season (something Miller never achieved). Or his exploits in England where he scored 700 + runs and took 20 + wkts and i could go on and on. And if Sobers is overated as an allrounder then so are Warne (as the greatest spinner) and Lillee as the best paceman.
I'm sure Sobers made 500000 runs and took 10000 wickets in highschool, but we're talking about TEST cricket. Kallis vs. Sobers as TEST players. Also, did Miller play cricket when Sobers was playing? No.

What 10-30 points? You ever taken a gander at Mr. Sobers' SR?

Slifer

International Captain
Ok Sobers SR is way higher than Kallis and his average is slightly higher (2 or 3 runs) and his wkt per match ratio is also higher than Kallis. As batsmen his average is a few runs higher and he scored his centuries at a better rate than Kallis. Overall Sobers>Kallis but not by much i fail to see ur problem.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ok Sobers SR is way higher than Kallis and his average is slightly higher (2 or 3 runs) and his wkt per match ratio is also higher than Kallis. As batsmen his average is a few runs higher and he scored his centuries at a better rate than Kallis. Overall Sobers>Kallis but not by much i fail to see ur problem.
My problem is the myth that's built around "Sobers the all-rounder". It's reflected in this poll. Most people vote without really knowing their records that well. TBF, it could really go either way.

Slifer

International Captain
TBH he's not the only one. The same could be said about players like Lillee, Warne, IVAR etc.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBH he's not the only one. The same could be said about players like Lillee, Warne, IVAR etc.
They're rarely one-sided contests. And they're usually judged more than on hearsay. I know HB for instance, who is a poster I highly respect and he pretty much just goes with the flow on this subject. Very unlike him.

Others saying the comparison is silly or not close...frankly, it's laughable. With Lillee or Warne no one side says the other is WAY better than the other because it's not true.

Slifer

International Captain
Um, Ive never said that Sobers was way better than Kallis (or ne of the other great allrounders for that matter) but if the majority of the world thinks he is the clear best Allrounder there must be a reason y. A few years ago i argued tooth and nail against the notion of Lillee being dubbed as the most complete/best fast bowler of all time (which i still think he is far from being). The majority of the older cricketing world thinks he is, for whatever reason, and over time Ive learned to live with it though as stated i still disagree.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Um, Ive never said that Sobers was way better than Kallis (or ne of the other great allrounders for that matter) but if the majority of the world thinks he is the clear best Allrounder there must be a reason y. A few years ago i argued tooth and nail against the notion of Lillee being dubbed as the most complete/best fast bowler of all time (which i still think he is far from being). The majority of the older cricketing world thinks he is, for whatever reason, and over time Ive learned to live with it though as stated i still disagree.
There is a reason. People just follow the crowd. Some have made it almost sacrilegious to dissect Sobers' career and so a lot of people tend not to think.

The difference between Lillee and Sobers is that Lillee's in the ball-park to begin with. Even in plain stats he isn't far.