• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was meaning when I was watching rather than playing TBH but even if I, or my team, are batting I never much enjoy bad fielding, no. Certainly don't enjoy being dropped or having someone misfield something if I hit it straight to them.

I've seen it all now. :-O

Craig

World Traveller
People calling for David Warner's selection in the Test team to replace Matt Hayden:

Look I think it is fair to say you don't understand cricket, or care enough about it. Because if you did, you would realise one super T20 knock don't mean **** when it comes to Test cricket and first things first, Warner has played the grand total of zero FC games for NSW or for indeed anybody, that is right zero. Look I have no idea how Warner will go in FC cricket or indeed will he be good enough to make the Test XI one day, but if Hayden is to get the arse, he has less then Buckley's chance (for the non Australians, none at all) of being ahead of Rogers, Hughes, and Jaques. I caught it on the radio this morning when they were going on about Warner getting 89 off 43 balls and does he have what it takes to be a Test standard opener. Well let him play FC cricket first. But if you knew about cricket, you would already know this. So go back to overkilling Kings of Leon thanks.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Channel 9's stupid run-rate worm

Think this may have been done before, but the stupid "new" worm (as in the one they've used for the last five or so years) really grinds my gears. The previous, time honoured version, which they still use at the MCG scoreboard, showed the culmulative total with runs on the Y axis and overs on the X. Made it very easy to see how the two innings were progressing in comparison to each other, with the steepness of the worm's movement indicating the run-rate.

The new worm shows the culmulative run-rate, so essentially all it shows you is at what point the team batting first was above or below it's eventual rate, and whether the team batting second is above or below the asking rate - it's a much less useful graph, and a lot more complicated to interpret.

Dire. One 'innovation' that's been a huge leap backwards, and one I urge you all to write letters to Ch. 9 about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Retired out, maybe?
Well I suppose anyone can retire out at any time, but that'd be different to walking for a dropped catch.

Anyway, when you're actually playing rather than purely watching, what you enjoy watching obviously comes second to winning.

Chimpdaddy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The KFC ads are the worst

But the things that annoy me the most are

1) The roads they call pitches all around the world. Fast Pitches with grass bring the class batsmen to the top.

2) Lack of top quality swing bowlers. Nothing beats seeing the ball zip through the air and beating the bat from the likes of Damien Fleming
Great points. The KFC ads are completely poor. The obvious dub over the players voices, and the way Micheal Clarke drinks a "Filler" is cringeworthy to say the less.

Also agree with your point on swing bowlers. What happened to them??

-Chimpdaddy-

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also agree with your point on swing bowlers. What happened to them??
The ball has swung far less in recent years in some countries (possibly not much less in the subcontinent or South Africa, and if anything more so in West Indies - when I started watching the general assertation was that getting the ball to swing in the Caribbean was not far short of impossible, and in my time I've seen it swing to some extent sometimes). In England, it's because of the fact that the manufacturing process used in the ball was changed in 2001. It was changed again in 2007 and the ball has swung more again since then. Let's hope it stays that way.

BTW I'd add my voice to those requesting that you stop doing this:
-Chimpdaddy-
every post.

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
BTW I'd add my voice to those requesting that you stop doing this:

every post.
I don't understand how that's any more irritating than your endless use of confusing acronyms and constant referring to posters by their real names so that barely anyone has a clue who you're talking about.

Evermind

International Debutant
What grinds my cricketing gears - any commentor who isn't English. Benaud is an exception, while Mark Nicholas is an exception in the opposite sense.

The West Indians are pretty ok generally, while all of the Asians and the Australians are the worst.

If a cricket game turned up in my nightmares, it would have Nicholas, Slater and Athar Ali Khan commentating.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't understand how that's any more irritating than your endless use of confusing acronyms and constant referring to posters by their real names so that barely anyone has a clue who you're talking about.
Most people have a clue of posters' real names (I always make it obvious by using links to the posts anyway) and most people pick-up acronyms and abbreviations very quickly. BTW, I'm far from the most common "inventor" of the things. Many people have created far more than I - it's just, naturally, given I post more than most, you'll see more of them in my posts than others'.

Anyway, obviously for some the above will be more irritating than someone putting their posting-ID at the bottom of every post. For many others, it won't. What's particularly silly is that doing that (putting their posting-ID at the bottom of every post) is just a completely and totally needless waste of (however little amount of) effort. I only do the two above things to save effort. Writing UIMM is far, far quicker than typing-out "unless I'm much mistaken". And in most cases, names are shorter than posting-IDs. Even if they aren't, I feel silly calling someone whose name I know by a posting-ID so, unless there's good reason, I'll do it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, who gives a flying if he signs off his name every post? Don't care.
Plenty of people do. You might not, and obviously you've no obligation to. But given it only makes posting more difficult for him (even if not by much), and adds absolutely nothing for anyone, the poster concerned or anyone else, the fact that it irritates plenty of people should mean the person concerned would see fit to discontinue it.

Should add, BTW, that Chimpdaddy has been easily one of the more impressive recent additions to CW ranks and I hope he\she sticks around. But I, and plenty of others, can do without that habit.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Plenty of people do. You might not, and obviously you've no obligation to. But given it only makes posting more difficult for him (even if not by much), and adds absolutely nothing for anyone, the poster concerned or anyone else, the fact that it irritates plenty of people should mean the person concerned would see fit to discontinue it.

Should add, BTW, that Chimpdaddy has been easily one of the more impressive recent additions to CW ranks and I hope he\she sticks around. But I, and plenty of others, can do without that habit.

Pretty sure you've got plenty of habits over 70k posts, that I, and plenty of others can do without. Same goes for everyone really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed. As I've said hundreds of times, if people ask pleasantly and if I don't consider it stupidly unreasonable, I'm quite happy to alter certain aspects of my posting to improve the CW experience for people whose presence enhances it for me.

Especially if such changes make zero difference to me.

Chimpdaddy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Honestly, I don't get what all the fuss is about. I like doing it, and I'm going to continue to do it despite your friendly request. It is not going to kill you or any other poster to read one more word, and I have never had a complaint on any other forum where I've done the same.

-Chimpdaddy-