• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Precambrian

Banned
Yes he does bowl better to right handers. I am convinced it is due to the fact that he bowls over the wicket and prefers bowling from there.

Zaheer who is a left hander also bowls over the wicket most of the time and is more effective against left handers. If they could both practice and start bowling round the wicket they will do better for the other type of batsman too. The same is the problem with Harbhajan who is not as effective against left handers as he should be since he makes the ball go away from them, Of late he has been trying to bowl round the wicket to left handers and it has shown some reults but it doesnt seem to be something he likes. Needs to do it a lot in the nets.
Yep, AWTA.

Zaheer is actually GUN when he gets it right bowling around the stumps at the RHB. He got IIRC Vaughan in 2007 series and Ponting in 2007-08 series. Only if he could boost his confidence to bowl it more.

Ishant is extremely dangerous with his angle across the LHB on bouncy tracks, he may not take wickets by the load, but certainly will constrict the scoring, and the moment some one hangs his blade out, fair chance of a catch behind. And i agree to him become somewhat the allround fast bowler, he needs to operate around the wicket also to LHBs, esp with the older ball, when he can reverse it as well, suddenly make it go into the LHB and get an LBW/bowled. Well, he is only 20, and let it be one step at a time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was going to reply to this earlier, but then "Database Errors" and then dinner intervened. Really don't think I'm being holier than thou. I've made it pretty clear that I think both captains have at times been too ready to be overly defensive, and was pretty strident in my criticism of Ponting's few overs of madness yesterday.

You say that the abberent hour today was due to the bowlers bowling poorly - I say it was a poorly set field for the situation - as you say, it was open to Hayden and Hussey to knock the ball around and score at the rate required to win, but it wasn't them going for big shots that brought them undone, it was a quality delivery to Hussey, and stuffed up attempt to knock it around by Hayden.

The negative line being bowled at that time made the situation more ugly, and I don't accept that this was a result of the bowlers erring when Dhoni was standing outside the leg stump before they bowled. As I understand it, in the end the umpires actually warned Dhoni to stop that soon before he took Sehwag off.

And the Indian team certainly appeared to be trying to slow the match down when Hayden and Hussey were together. I imagine if it had continued much longer, they might have been looking at a time-wasting charge. 10 overs in an hour with two spinners operating is terrible. I understand why they'd be tempted to do it, but its a bad look for test cricket.

I like Dhoni and think he's a good captain. I think he let himself down for a period today, and briefly gave Australia a window of hope. Once he regained his nerve, he got the result that India deserved. And kudos to him for that.

I don't think it can be holier-than-thou to hold him to the same standard as my own team. To be clear, I'm not saying that I think that India somehow don't deserve the win because of it. What Ponting did yesterday was worse, and my objection is as a cricket fan, rather than an Australia fan.
Apologies, I thought you were referring to Harbhajan bowling into the footmarks outside Hayden's off-stump (and bowling wides accidentally), not Sehwag bowling a leg-stump line (I was out of the room during that play but did return to see the umpires telling Dhoni off, had no idea what was going on tbh). Fair enough.

I don't think its fair to criticise Dhoni for having everyone on the fence though. Its not against the spirit of the game, its just poor captaincy which worked out.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
At what price? 30 per wicket? That's a joke considering he got tailenders too.

I am not taking away anything from him. But to say that he was Man of the match is a joke seriously. Could have given to Watto for sheer effect, or to Tendulkar for his 100.
Without Krejza, I don't think Australians would have had a chance to even be in this game. Lower order or not, India were looking at 600+ without Krejza. He should have gotten it IMO.

Come on, for the first time since 1983 an Indian fast bowler has won MOTS in India. And another bowler has won MOTM in this test.

How often do you have that? About time. I'd put a one year moratorium on batsmen winning MOTM and MOTS awards TBH. Bastards are overrated.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In the end, my thoughts are:

Purposefully slowing down over rates: Very negative and very bad. Should introduced laws to severely punish such things by runs session by session. Force captains to keep rates up every sessions.

Field placings and bowling: Defensive but not negative. And good if it yields results.

That'll probably be my last post on the subject. I think at some point we just disagree on what we each consider good cricket.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In the end, my thoughts are:

Slowing down over rates: Very negative and very bad. Should introduced laws to severely punish such things by runs session by session. Force captains to keep rates up every sessions.

Field placings and bowling: Defensive but not negative. And good if it yields results.

That'll probably be my last post on the subject. I think at some point we just disagree on what we each consider good cricket.
Agree with this.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Report Card is in

I'd also be requesting parent/teacher interviews with Mr and Mrs Lee, Mr and Mrs Neilson, as well as Mr and Mrs White.
Its pretty clear what's wrong with Lee with his personal life in trouble and his captain losing faith in him.
I think he needs a couple of weeks off in India where I feel he is loved more than back home in Australia ATM. A few weeks with his IPL friends.:)

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Its pretty clear what's wrong with Lee with his personal life in trouble and his captain losing faith in him.
I think he needs a couple of weeks off in India where I feel he is loved more than back home in Australia ATM. A few weeks with his IPL friends.:)
Or that he, like many other fast-bowlers are ineffective in India?

BTW, who is that in your avatar? Katrina Kaif and ??

biased indian

International Coach
The series is done and dusted and i dont think any body over here has mentioned his name yet.....ya speaking about Indian coach Kirsten....i m sure he played a good role in what had gone behing all the tactics that dhoni put on the third day....it nice to see that he is never in the spotlight and quietly doing his job .think this is the way a coach should be ,,never inthe limelight but always doing what he is meant do

Precambrian

Banned
credit to Venky Prasad too..

slowly and surely our seamers have improved under him. keep it up, Venky.. :)
Damn right, more than Kirsten I would applaud the efforts fof Venky Prasad. Ever since he's taken over the mantle of bowling coach, our fast bowling is on the ascendance. Tremendous effort in the reverse swing also.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The series is done and dusted and i dont think any body over here has mentioned his name yet.....ya speaking about Indian coach Kirsten....i m sure he played a good role in what had gone behing all the tactics that dhoni put on the third day....it nice to see that he is never in the spotlight and quietly doing his job .think this is the way a coach should be ,,never inthe limelight but always doing what he is meant do
Haha so true, Gary Kirsten getting no kudos whatsoever. Wasn't he also there when India won the ODIs vs. Aust and SL in the tri-series?

Role of a coach, get no praise when you win, and get lambasted when you lose/

Precambrian

Banned
Chucker column from The Age

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport...1226318648299.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

FIVE OBSERVATIONS FROM ...

THE WEEK IN CRICKET

1. The last wicket of the series, which would have missed off stump by the width of Mark Cosgrove, was a fitting end.

2. Brad Haddin throwing a wicketkeeping glove at the ball was a good idea that just needed some tweaking. It should have been both gloves, aimed at a bin.

3. Apparently Brett Lee was sick. You'd reckon he'd be feeling a whole lot better now that Ricky Ponting is fighting with everyone, and not just him.

4. Andrew Symonds' refusal to apologise for whatever it is he did shows he is definitely ready to be an Australian cricketer again.

5. Someone named Burt took five wickets for NSW last week, and a bloke named Wes made a hundred for WA on Monday. Who says Australian cricket is in trouble?
COOKING WITH HAYDOS

(Recipes from Australia's gourmet cricketer that didn't quite make the book)

This week's dish: Fried Captain's Brains

Ingredients: Olive oil, onion, parsley, a captain's brain, 10 measures of slow over rates, one cup of threats.

Method: Soak your captain's brain in the slow over rates and bring to the boil. Add the threats of suspension, which will instantly bring everything off the boil and make things dull and tasteless. Soak for a couple of hours, remove and call nasty names (try "selfish" for starters), then watch your captain's brain return to boiling point as if by magic. Brush in oil and fry with onions. Serve with chopped parsley.

Culinary hint: Wash down with two bottles of anything from New Zealand, which should be so easy to knock over you'll feel like your old self in no time
:laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha so true, Gary Kirsten getting no kudos whatsoever. Wasn't he also there when India won the ODIs vs. Aust and SL in the tri-series?

Role of a coach, get no praise when you win, and get lambasted when you lose/
:)

I think the best thing about him is he seems to be invisible.. That is how the players like it, I guess. He doesn't go running around in the media telling what he thinks of player X or player Y... I think the Indian players seem to prefer a coach who will be like a friend, helping them out in the background and even if he has problems with them, he will only tell that in private.. That kind of an approach seems to be a hit with our players.. First John Wright and now Gary Kirsten.

Also, it seems only left handed openers who seemed to achieve more than their talent indicated make the best coaches for India... :ph34r:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Report Card is in

I'd also be requesting parent/teacher interviews with Mr and Mrs Lee, Mr and Mrs Neilson, as well as Mr and Mrs White.
Whoever did that did not watch the series. Abysmal.

Mainly on the assessment of White. Also nailed Johnson's description... then gave him a B. Harsh on Haydos. Etc.

Last edited: