• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For all of Ponting's defensiveness, India are still going at 4.31....there is no downside to attacking. Maybe they'll go at five, but the best way to restrict the run rate is to get Dravid out here instead of Sehwag.
It was ridiculous for Brett Lee, arguably the world's best fast bowler opening the bowling with a solitary slip.

Craig

World Traveller
For all of Ponting's defensiveness, India are still going at 4.31....there is no downside to attacking. Maybe they'll go at five, but the best way to restrict the run rate is to get Dravid out here instead of Sehwag.
Even then he was still scoring at 55 in the 1st innings. Not a bad scoring rate for mine.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For me, the true litmus test for Ponting's captaincy has been the current series, where he doesnt have McG or Warney to call up. And to be frank, he's been disappointing so far.

However cricket is a funny game, and things could change drastically.
Hardly Pontings fault the bowling has been absolute dross this test match. The man may not be the most astute tactician, but I fail to see how any captain is going to look good when his best 3 bowlers insist on bowling at the legs of the opposition batsmen.

Precambrian

Banned
Actually there is a better chance of getting Sehwag when there is an attacking field, as he will invariably slash one to slips or cover. Here, it's giving him not only boundaries, but also plenty of singles and twos. I hope Ponting understands that Sehwag has matured as a test level batsman to understand the virtues of "rotating the strike" and curbed his instincts.

pup11

International Coach
For me, the true litmus test for Ponting's captaincy has been the current series, where he doesnt have McG or Warney to call up. And to be frank, he's been disappointing so far.

However cricket is a funny game, and things could change drastically.
Ponting can't do a **** as long as his bowlers don't bowl with any discipline, him having boundary riders is probably testimony to the fact that he expects his bowlers to bowl a hit-me ball every over, Lee bowling as poorly as he has and Clark not being there further makes things hard for him, but still he should to look to attack with the new ball or when the ball is doing something but he hasn't done that and that is something i'm not too happy about.

Precambrian

Banned
Hardly Pontings fault the bowling has been absolute dross this test match. The man may not be the most astute tactician, but I fail to see how any captain is going to look good when his best 3 bowlers insist on bowling at the legs of the opposition batsmen.
I agree that Australia's bowling is not as good as when they had McG and Warney. However, they still have a decent pace attack. Somehow I feel Ponting's been a Dressing Room captain, who has promised to carry out plans discussed during the team meeting. There is definitely a lack of Plan B, and "on the feet" thinking here.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree that Australia's bowling is not as good as when they had McG and Warney. However, they still have a decent pace attack. Somehow I feel Ponting's been a Dressing Room captain, who has promised to carry out plans discussed during the team meeting. There is definitely a lack of Plan B, and "on the feet" thinking here.
Has always been a worry with him. It's just getting exposed now.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The Sehwag and Gambhir partnership crosses 50 every second innings they walk out together. Wouldn't have imagined it of an Indian opening combination.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was ridiculous for Brett Lee, arguably the world's best fast bowler opening the bowling with a solitary slip.
Yep

The team arrived in India with Plan A (which everyone knew btw) of trying to restrict the scoring rates by cutting off boundaries

Unfortunately:

a. they have totally overdone it and the fields set have massively reduced the ways in which a batsman can be dismissed;

b. the bowlers have bowled all over the shop so it looks more like setting a field for bad bowling than anything else; and

c. there has been no Plan B

Precambrian

Banned
Ponting can't do a **** as long as his bowlers don't bowl with any discipline, him having boundary riders is probably testimony to the fact that he expects his bowlers to bowl a hit-me ball every over, Lee bowling as poorly as he has and Clark not being there further makes things hard for him, but still he should to look to attack with the new ball or when the ball is doing something but he hasn't done that and that is something i'm not too happy about.
Disagree, one can understand the defensive setting if Sehwag started firing right from the first over. However, the deep point was in place from the fourth ball of the innings itself, and such a negative gesture will succeed only in disheartening the bowler.

Craig

World Traveller
White is bowling, does Sehwag look to smash White a little bit or wait for tomorrow and then go the tonk! It is lucky for me I get home at 3.00pm so I can see the last hour before lunch.

pup11

International Coach
Disagree, one can understand the defensive setting if Sehwag started firing right from the first over. However, the deep point was in place from the fourth ball of the innings itself, and such a negative gesture will succeed only in disheartening the bowler.
Duh, didn't i mention the exact same thing in my post...:huh:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When you're staring down the barrel of a 200-run deficit, it must be hard to maintain the illusion that your team is still in with a chance, though. Can't win, really; if he'd set 3 slips/2 gullies and Sehwag was 80* off 50 balls right now with with lead touching 350, he'd be pillored too. On this deck, setting an attacking field just opens up scoring opportunities. Many people (not you) forget this isn't ICC2005 where you can set an attacking field and batsmen will just get themselves out going for the spank. Real personalities involved here.

That even with the defensive fields India are going at 4+ per over shows how good the pitch is and how poor the bowling. Throwing everything but the kitchen sink in a Test match under these conditions would be just as foolish as an ultra-defensive approach. I would imagine he'd have been hoping to just limit the number of runs the Indians score this evening and regroup tonight for another crack tomorrow. The bowling has been bad enough that any field setting wouldn't have made much of a difference, though.

As for disheartening the bowler, seriously, we're talking professionals here. They might be a bit down but it'd be an excuse if they walked off saying "Well geez, I was all prepared to bowl thunderbolts and totally knock Sehwag over but then I saw a point and square-leg on the fence and my heart just sank. Was so disheartened. Now I don't believe in nothin' no more." :D

Last edited: