• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Craig

World Traveller
I haven't seen enough of him in the senior code to say with any conviction, tbh. He's too late tho, isn't he? I'm pretty sure playing for Aus "A" in the Pacific Cup means the ABs are forever closed to him.
This was 18 months ago he contacted the NZRFU and Robbie Deans about the possibility of playing for the Crusaders. Sorry I should of made myself more clear :)

Full story

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The NZRU would have never offered him enough anyway - couldn't be offered more than a standard Super 14 contract until he proved himself. In fact, I'd be surprised if they'd even allow him to do that - he'd probably have to sign with a provincial union first and go from there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Flutey was known as "Flakey Flutey". Had matchwinning abilities, but really didn't have the brain for a top-level 10. A big left boot, but I didn't rate his organisational skills.

He also got into some trouble in Argentina on a Colts tour - luckily escaped an assault conviction.
If he managed to make the England side and he ever faced an AB team, NZers would be laughing all the way to 50 points. He is NOT international-class - not even close. And 10 (assuming that's where he still plays) isn't really a position of weakness for you lot when Hodgson, Barkley and Jonny (if he's ever right again) are fit. And no, I didn't forget Goode - I just didn't include him. :laugh:
Just thought I'd post this in a "life reflecting CW" kinda way. The England elite squad (from the BBC):

Forwards: Tim Payne (Wasps), Andrew Sheridan (Sale), Matt Stevens (Bath), Phil Vickery (Wasps), George Chuter (Leicester), Dylan Hartley (Northampton), Lee Mears (Bath), Steve Borthwick (Saracens), Nick Kennedy (London Irish), Tom Palmer (Wasps), Simon Shaw (Wasps), Tom Croft (Leicester), James Haskell (Wasps), Lewis Moody (Leicester), Tom Rees (Wasps), Jordan Crane (Leicester), Luke Narraway (Gloucester).

Backs: Josh Lewsey (Wasps), Mathew Tait (Sale), Paul Sackey (Wasps), James Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester), Tom Varndell (Leicester), Dan Hipkiss (Leicester), Jamie Noon (Newcastle), Olly Barkley (Gloucester), Toby Flood (Leicester), Riki Flutey (Wasps), Shane Geraghty (London Irish), Jonny Wilkinson (Newcastle), Danny Care (Harlequins), Harry Ellis (Leicester), Pete Richards (London Irish).

Qualifies for us in September, apparently. Just hope the "50 points" bit is wrong. :ph34r:

Craig

World Traveller
The NZRU would have never offered him enough anyway - couldn't be offered more than a standard Super 14 contract until he proved himself. In fact, I'd be surprised if they'd even allow him to do that - he'd probably have to sign with a provincial union first and go from there.
That aside, would he have been good enough to play at the top level for New Zealand?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That aside, would he have been good enough to play at the top level for New Zealand?
Who knows? I'd much rather have a young guy like Kahui or Nonu, than a tired old leaguie like Tahu in the backline - he's a short-term answer even if he's potentially better than Kahui at the moment.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Half time, and the All Blacks have been poor for pretty much the whole half given the amount of possession we've had.

Credit to the Wallabies, some great defence from them, and seem to have some good tactics.

Can someone teach Andrew Ellis how to pass and distribute the ball please? He's driving me crazy!!!

James

Cricket Web Owner
That grinds my gears Richie McCaw watching the game with his girlfriend in the stands.

He's captain, and even though he's out shouldn't he be sitting with the coaching staff analysing the play and working with them?

Craig

World Traveller
Deadset the worst set of defending the last 3 or 4 minutes I have ever seen. You know tackling helps.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that was pretty average. Excellent stuff from the Aussies though, they're back in front.

Looks like an injury to Cowan as well.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, Nisbo. "Aww, penalty try c'mon ref!" Nice objectivity.

Do agree with him though.