• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Berrick has won it there. Cool head & dead eye from the young fella.

Feels wrong supporting Oz, but against the yarps one makes concessions.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
First time I've looked forward to Rugby in a long time. Not sure why but I'm getting to enjoy rugby again.
New rule changes have made the game a fair bit better to watch. Mind you that game wasn't what you would call free following rugby, but there was some great defence from both sides.

Cross continues to look like a rugby player, lost in league for a couple years. Decent performance but still some question marks over that side.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Bok busters!

A few thoughts...

* Pretty scrappy game. ELV's aren't doing it for me..

* That's the best I've seen the Aussie backrow play in many a long year. George Smith with 3 pilfers and wrecking havoc at the breakdown. Any time the Wallaby attack looked stagnant, Palu was there to take the ball over the advantage line. Rocky Elsom - a MOTM performance.

* Luke Burgess still hasn't adapted to Tets level rugby. He's full of enthusiasm... but he's making mistakes.

* It sounds like a weak excuse, but you know SA were a little beat up from their fist two Tri Nations tests against the All Blacks. They just didn't have the same spark. They're obviously missing John Smit as well.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Could potentially be the closest Tri Nations on record this year.

Can't wait for the Wallabies/All Blacks match.

ripper868

International Coach
What a tackle by Ryan Cross, match saving you'd think (hope). Roosters taught him how to do that imo.
Yeah, not playing rugby for 10 years (and at Aus Schoolboys) before he played league:dry:

Great game IMO, Still feel the AB's will belt us though, will be smarting from the loss to SA

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointing display by the Boks, they never looked like they were in the game let alone be able to win it.

And questions now need to be raised about Butch James; his been awful since coming back from England.

ripper868

International Coach
Was a joke ffs.
no worries, just didnt read it that way. Know plenty of people who try and claim the guys who play for the wallabies who had a stint in the NRL learnt everything from league. Gets my goat when they dont acknowledge that they were playing union in the first place. (Dally Messenger anyone?)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best display from our foward pack I've seen in a long time. Thought Smith, Elsom & Palau were awesome. Cross was sensational in defence when he came on as well, awesome tackle on Habana. Can't wait for the ABs game now, even though I reckon we might just get pumped despite all the hype.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
North Otago cheated out of lifting the Log Of Wood, thanks to a crooked ref who allowed Auckland to sneak home 113-3.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
To get into a Bledisloe mood, I'm gonna make an all-time team comprised of All Blacks and Wallabies...

1. Topo Rodriguez
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
3. Ken Gray
4. Colin Meads
5. John Eales
6. Viliami 'Ofahengaue
7. Michael Jones
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Ken Catchpole
10. Mark Ella
11. David Campese
12. Tim Horan
13. Trevor Allen
14. John Kirwan
15. Christian Cullen

Anyway it's a terrible blow for the Wallabies losing Mortlock. He's their best player and he always rises to the occasion. I admire Mortlock because of his physical courage and it's so bloody hard to keep him behind the advantage line. Plays his best rugby against New Zealand too, like Matt Burke.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Apparently TIMANA Tahu was interested in playing for the Crusaders in the Super 14 and to play for the All Blacks (Kiwi dad IIRC) as well. Read it today in the paper and it is on the fixsports website, but my question is, would he have been good enough to play for the AB's anyway?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Apparently TIMANA Tahu was interested in playing for the Crusaders in the Super 14 and to play for the All Blacks (Kiwi dad IIRC) as well. Read it today in the paper and it is on the fixsports website, but my question is, would he have been good enough to play for the AB's anyway?
I haven't seen enough of him in the senior code to say with any conviction, tbh. He's too late tho, isn't he? I'm pretty sure playing for Aus "A" in the Pacific Cup means the ABs are forever closed to him.