• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I'll let you do the research on that if you can be bothered.

But you can consider Martin, Chapple and Austin who have, between them, taken 49 times more 5-fers for Lancashire than Fred.

Your argument that Fred has bowled in strong bowling line-ups for Lancs can't explain why, to take one striking and rather podgy example, Ian Austin has managed 6 times more 5-fers than him while operating as part of the same attack.

The fact is that Fred's bowling stats belie his reputation as one of the world's best fast bowlers.

Not sure if I can give any convincing explanation but I'll try:

1. Early in his career he wasn't used as a strike bowler (but cf Ian Austin and his 6 5-fers)

2. Perhaps his back-of-a-length style, while hard to score off, is relatively easy to defend.

3. Perhaps more recently opposition batsmen have tended to try to see him off before feasting on the richer pickings on offer from Anderson, Mahmood, et al?

4. He doesn't get much lateral movement. I know that you (Richard) think he does, but I disagree. I haven't seen him ever get much orthodox swing. And importantly such movement as he does get tends to be in to the right-hander rather than away.
I don't disagree with any of that. I've said before - Flintoff's lack of five-wicket hauls is remarkable, and nothing less. Certainly he could be better with the old bowling of conventional swing. He can do it though, and I've seen him do so several times.

HOWEVER, if he's getting 3-40 and 4-90 regularly (which in Tests between 2003/04 and 2006/07 he was) then this isn't the biggest deal in The World. Average > five-fors. 3-40 is a far more helpful performance for your team than 5-140. And it depends far more on the strength of the rest of your attack than anything else.

One minor thing though - there wasn't really all that much overlap in the careers of Flintoff and Austin. Certainly not in the time Flintoff was a serious bowler. :p

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
One minor thing though - there wasn't really all that much overlap in the careers of Flintoff and Austin. Certainly not in the time Flintoff was a serious bowler. :p
You're not by any chance trying to have it both ways are you?...

Martin, Chapple, Austin, Cork, Anderson, Smith, Hogg, Muralitharan, Schofield, Yates, Keedy.

Just some of the bowlers he's bowled with at Lancs. I'd not want to bet against a few of his Lancs attacks being stronger than one or two of the Test ones of different times.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
8-) I've already replied to the post in question. There's nothing in those links Gelman provided that I'd said I hadn't said.
Rubbish 8-) ..Referring to Sidebottom you recently said "but I couldn't ever have called it a poor decision" when earlier you had said "I still don't like the selection of Sidebottom" which clearly implies you didn't think it was a good decision

So often those consumed with their own self importance are blinded

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
According to cricinfo's headline, Collingwood's been dropped and Pattison's playing.
They haven't got the full side though. Presumably something like:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
KP
Bell
Fred
Ambrose
Broad
Pattison
Whichever of Anderson & Sidebottom is fit
Panesar

Unless they've dropped Panesar for this game

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
According to cricinfo's headline, Collingwood's been dropped and Pattison's playing.
They haven't got the full side though. Presumably something like:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
KP
Bell
Fred
Ambrose
Broad
Pattison
Whichever of Anderson & Sidebottom is fit
Panesar

Unless they've dropped Panesar for this game
OK, that's it. I'm turning my coat.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Damn it, Sky NZ aren't showing the 1st session due to the Open, Rugby league & a replay of the All Blacks test - go figure !!!

Marius

International Debutant
Damn it, Sky NZ aren't showing the 1st session due to the Open, Rugby league & a replay of the All Blacks test - go figure !!!
The replay of the All Blacks Test from last week Saturday? The one where the Springboks won? :)

Allan Donald wrote in the Telegraph saying Harris should be dropped for Andre Nel. Not too sure about that. I like Harris, I think he should be kept in the side.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
OK, that's it. I'm turning my coat.
Colly must be really chuffed to be dropped after copping a shocker at Lord's.

It reminds me of some of the 1980's lineups we saw when Peter May thought it a good idea to bat Capel or Pringle at 6 as the side's all-rounder and bring in all sorts of odds & sods as bowlers afer the first choice attack had buggered off to SA.

EDIT
Pattinson's in for Sidebottom and apparently will bat below Panesar. Anderson's batting at 9. Abrose is indeed at 6 btw.

Today's starter is to find a weaker bottom 6 that has ever represented England.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's unusual enough to get someone going from grade cricketer to Test squad-member within 5 months - it's probably near enough unheard-of to get someone going from grade cricketer to England Test squad-member within 5 months.
Because England's always been so careful in who they award caps to?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I can only find the headline atm and nothing more. What's the weather like? Forecast I read suggests dav is not quite on the money, with irregular play through the first two days and then a full day on day 3

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
English cricket is dead to me (or atleast until I get over it)

Even if the guy takes 5 wkts (probablilty and chance dictates its a posibility) there is no reason for this selection. None.

I hope he get booed. One of the worst selections Ive seen from England and that says a lot.

Last edited: