• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think an employer is on pretty thin ice making someone go if they don't want to.
Who said anything about making anyone go?

silentstriker said:
In any case, people have the right to their personal decision, and if they feel its unsafe, they should not go. I've no problems with individuals making that type of decision.

8-) Look, I duno if you're 8, 18 or 80 but that's just a stupid, stupid post. Explain how they gain in popularity by not going to the CT in Pakistan. I'm really, really looking forward to hearing that argument, along with your reasons for saying their era of being champion is over.

Which is why the likes of Johnson, Haddin and Clarke didn't go to the IPL right?

Wish you'd go and play in Kandihar, tbh.

Australia has missed it's past two tours to Pakistan. IIRC the first was due not very long after the war in Afghanistan had started and there was a large level of instability in the region, combined with reports that a number of extremists were operating in and from Pakistan. Not saying those reports were right, just saying they were there. The last one was "deferred" owing to the violence around election time. It's all very well to say other countries toured at times which may not have been as troubled, but it's not apples and apples you're comparing if you do.
As for the crap in the above posts about throwing money at people and they'll play anywhere - the incumbent Aussie ODI captain knocked back playing in the recent IPL, as did Johnson and Haddin. Don't lumber everyone who refuses to go somewhere with the tag of a mercenary, it's odious. Likewsie, MacGill refused to tour Zimbabwe for political reasons. No doubt he'd have made a lot more $ had he gone.

Anyway, there are reports here that each of England, NZ and Australia (not sure about SA) are going to be relying on the same security fella's report on the situation in Pakistan before deciding whether to go or not. In the event that it comes back unfavourably, I have no doubt that balanced posters such as Aamir will treat everyone's refusal to play in exactly the same light - not.
Action speaks louder than the words. I don't feel any need to argue with a typical biased person. :laugh:

Oh yes one more thing, Ponting was not happy for having good bid for IPL and players like Clarke were not even considered for IPL. He can be considered if they ever thought to conduct 50-50 IPL. Moreover immature players like Haddin were never under consideration for IPL.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be interesting to hear Symonds if he gets traded to Jaipur. In any case, people have the right to their personal decision, and if they feel its unsafe, they should not go. I've no problems with individuals making that type of decision.
No, absolutely. I was more amused by the two comments reflecting the rather different personalities of the players involved (and their comfort with their places in the team):

Symonds: "I don't mind the odd game of cricket for Australia"

Watson: "Me personally, I'd go anywhere, I'll play anywhere, I just want to play for my country''

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not what I said or implied. If they had a bias against Asia, they wouldn't go to India either. And Australia have played in places in India with the same travel warnings as they have in Pakistan.
The travel warnings at the moment are more severe for Pakistan, and probably have been for the majority of the past five years.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Who said anything about making anyone go?
True, no-one raised it, but I'm just saying that Cricket Australia, given that this is the official advice from the Australian government, are obliged to take any concerns the players have seriously.

I'm not setting out to bash Pakistan or the Pakistan people here, but I'm just trying to point out that the concerns some of the players have do have some basis and that its not unreasonable for them to be worried about going - and by extension its proper for Cricket Australia to take that onboard and be very careful about deciding whether or not to go.

Matt79

Global Moderator
No, absolutely. I was more amused by the two comments reflecting the rather different personalities of the players involved (and their comfort with their places in the team):

Symonds: "I don't mind the odd game of cricket for Australia"

Watson: "Me personally, I'd go anywhere, I'll play anywhere, I just want to play for my country''
As some else pointed out, the fact that Symonds is virtually iron-clad in the ODI team and pretty damn solid in the Test team, plus is one of the highest profile and popular cricketers in the world gives him the ability to confidently be a bit more picky about when and where he'll play. Watto has none of those assets, and therefore needs to be more ready to compromise his other concerns.

Does it make Symonds and the others who don't want to go hypocritical? Yes, in the sense that anyone with options, wealth or power who chooses not to do something they find objectionable or unpleasant that they might consider if they were desperate is a hypocrite.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
As some else pointed out, the fact that Symonds is virtually iron-clad in the ODI team and pretty damn solid in the Test team, plus is one of the highest profile and popular cricketers in the world gives him the ability to confidently be a bit more picky about when and where he'll play. Watto has none of those assets, and therefore needs to be more ready to compromise his other concerns.

Does it make Symonds and the others who don't want to go hypocritical? Yes, in the sense that anyone with options, wealth or power who chooses not to do something they find objectionable or unpleasant that they might consider if they were desperate is a hypocrite.
:unsure: would love to have a poll for that Aussies vs non-Aussies

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The travel warnings at the moment are more severe for Pakistan, and probably have been for the majority of the past five years.
If you look at areas of India, many have the same warnings as Pakistan, and Australia have played in those places.

pasag

RTDAS
Action speaks louder than the words. I don't feel any need to argue with a typical biased person. :laugh:

Oh yes one more thing, Ponting was not happy for having good bid for IPL and players like Clarke were not even considered for IPL. He can be considered if they ever thought to conduct 50-50 IPL. Moreover immature players like Haddin were never under consideration for IPL.
a) Stop trolling
b) Clarke opted to not be involved with the IPL to spend time with his family.

Matt79

Global Moderator

Your ignorance amuses me.