• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think Australia will repeat the heroics of 2004 ?

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Guys i don't know what you are on about here...but this is my first account here..my name is Mahesh btw from Bangalore,India.people who don't believe can verify via mods through IP address or whatever.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
no...first time on this forum.Why should anyone even consider the possibility of banning me?? I was posting sense until a couple of guys started provoking me personally by making comments with regards to posts on Ponting which were well backed by facts if i might add.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Guys i don't know what you are on about here...but this is my first account here..my name is Mahesh btw from Bangalore,India.people who don't believe can verify via mods through IP address or whatever.
??? who is SST?
Haha, seems some people are a little confused. There's a poster who has more duplicate-accounts than anyone in CW history - his two best-known are Shane Warne and BingLeeElectric, so we call him SW\BLE. I'd wondered whether this Ah Ya Puter! or whatever it was account was him - turns-out it was a totally different poster - sideshowtim (sst) who is currently sitting-out a seven-day ban for being a silly boy.

No-one has thought you have had previous accounts - Fuller just said for some odd reason that you should be banned this time.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Haha, seems some people are a little confused. There's a poster who has more duplicate-accounts than anyone in CW history - his two best-known are Shane Warne and BingLeeElectric, so we call him SW\BLE. I'd wondered whether this Ah Ya Puter! or whatever it was account was him - turns-out it was a totally different poster - sideshowtim (sst) who is currently sitting-out a seven-day ban for being a silly boy.

No-one has thought you have had previous accounts - Fuller just said for some odd reason that you should be banned this time.
Thanks for clearing that up for me:happy: ..was getting really confusing.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Anyway in getting back to the topic at hand...i think the retirement of Macgill will hamper Australia(he was never in the class of Warne but still was ok)..esp considering that Lee,Johnson and Clark have not played a single test in the subcontinent to date(except in Bangladesh ofcourse)..Mcgain(sp?) looked like cannon fodder when we played him in the warm up match before our series down under.may be this new guy Casson is their option.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
that Ishant Sharma if he can continue to pick out that weak spot of Ponting...what is it just outside off...rising... nothing on the pads.... eek.
it doesnt even have to move for it to trouble Ponting - well not significantly... just ahs to be there really...
also dont like Ponting vs left armers .. mainly around the wicket..

ok i dont feel confident at all about punter now :laughing:
Yeah but I think you have to factor in that Ponting was no where near his best when facing Shrma this summer. He bowled really well to him, don't get me wrong, but Ponting's early fishing at balls on. outside off has and had a lot more to do with his lack of form than anything mystical which Shram threw at him.

Having said that, Sharma exploited the weakness brilliantly. His bowling was a great highlight last summer.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't know if it clearly is. It's quite possible, but I still think there's a fair amount of doubt about it. Personally, I think he was just clueless the first time he toured, although I'd definitely be willing to accept it was a mixture of poor form and mind games that stopped him performing on his second tour.

Whatever the reasons for his original failures though, Ponting is a much better batsman than the kid who was over there in the late 90s. The fact that he hasn't played a full series in India for seven years is quite possibly the only reason he hasn't conquered it yet, but I don't think we can actually say that with any sort of certainty. Ponting's holy grail is one of the many reasons the series will be so fascinating.
In 2001, Harbhajan pretty much showed how you can bowl perfectly on pitches that assist spin bowling. I've seen the entire career of Kumble who is much better at home than Harbhajan, but I have never seen an offspinner bowl as perfectly as Harbhajan did in 2001. I think he deserves a lot of the credit for that series win, more so than even Laxman.

And you have no idea how much I hate admitting that, though in 2001 I didn't hate him.

Burgey

Yep. HBS had a 2001 series like Flintoff's or S Jones' 05 series with the ball. There was always somethinn happening and he used the conditions perfectly.
He also didn't rely on XXX mints to get the job done either :ph34r:

Not that I'm bitter at all.

Top_Cat

Yep. HBS had a 2001 series like Flintoff's or S Jones' 05 series with the ball. There was always somethinn happening and he used the conditions perfectly.
He also didn't rely on XXX mints to get the job done either :ph34r:

Not that I'm bitter at all.
Surely Harbhajan's 2001 series was better than either of those two. That's not a knock against them either but Habhajan was something else in 2001, bar the first Test. For two Tests, he wasn't just tha danger man; he was the only man.

Ugh, feel dirty now.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Especially this test.

Second innings scorecard:
Code:
ML Hayden             c Khan             b Kulkarni            35  76  40  3 1
MJ Slater             c Laxman           b Harbhajan Singh     48  98  82  4 2
+AC Gilchrist         lbw                b Harbhajan Singh      1  11  11  0 0
JL Langer             c Laxman           b Bahutule            21  75  54  2 1
ME Waugh              c Dravid           b Harbhajan Singh     57 142 139  7 0
*SR Waugh             c Das              b Harbhajan Singh     47 166 125  5 0
RT Ponting            c Dravid           b Harbhajan Singh     11  29  25  0 1
SK Warne              lbw                b Harbhajan Singh     11  35  28  2 0
JN Gillespie          c Dravid           b Harbhajan Singh      2  46  47  0 0
CR Miller             lbw                b Harbhajan Singh      2  42  27  0 0
GD McGrath            not out                                  11  19  13  1 0

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, Parthiv Patel should have been the one to present the Border-Gavaskar Trophy to Gilly/Ponting I reckon.

One of the worst series with the gloves in history.
His previous one down under wasn't flash either, Jono. And he was awful behind the stumps yesterday. And yet, we have newspaper columnists (even cricinfo guys) suggesting he must be close to a recall. Maybe as a batsman, but as a keeper, give me a break. The guy can't hold on to anything.....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Don't worry about others think, Post what you think and what you want to. You will do well here as long as you do not break forum rules.

Welcome to the Forum.

Anyways I think Australia will find it hard to repeat their 2004 heroics. Also I think Ponting will score a Century in India this time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
His previous one down under wasn't flash either, Jono. And he was awful behind the stumps yesterday. And yet, we have newspaper columnists (even cricinfo guys) suggesting he must be close to a recall. Maybe as a batsman, but as a keeper, give me a break. The guy can't hold on to anything.....
I want Parthiv Patel as an Opener in Test matches. I feel his batting is better than Gambhir, Chopra, Jaffer etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha, can someone ban this Lambu clown already?

Anyway, I think it'll be a great series, but I think Australia can win. There's a fair argument for India being favourites, but I think it's being mildly overstated. It's a very hard series to call either way IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2-2 draw, but I'm thinking 2-1 Australia.
what the hell?

Lambu made one bad comment and even that was more sarcastic than anything else and yet you don't want the dear old "Ah Ya Punter" to be banned and only Lambu? Read up the posts, Sean... That Punter guy was going on some personal insult hyperbole juz because Lambu said he didn't feel confident Punter will do well in India... And if Lambu's comments warrant a ban, I guess no one can really post in CW as we have all had the occassional sarcastic comment at players...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I want Parthiv Patel as an Opener in Test matches. I feel his batting is better than Gambhir, Chopra, Jaffer etc.
yep.. I don't mind that at all, although Karthik has done well as an opener too. But if we want a back up keeper, I would rather have Karthik or even that Saha guy over Parthiv. He just is not good enough as a keeper...