• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just to show I wasnt being biased earlier, I wouldnt have given that either.

My have straightened a shade too much

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Just to show I wasnt being biased earlier, I wouldnt have given that either.

My have straightened a shade too much
Yeah, watching more replays, it looks as if it would have been missing or just shaving off stump. So fair enough.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would've given it myself TBH, same as I'd have given the Vaughan one. Sheeysh Kev, can't be many lbws in games you Umpire - it'd have to be on the boot in front of all 3 from wicket to wicket else n\o. :mellow:

Can Redders emulate Vaughan? Would have to say I doubt it, but a 74 would do such a thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even I wouldn't have given that though.

This pitch is really starting to get uneven now mind. Several that have jumped and scuttled, including that from MSP.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ambrose almost had that, but despite Ian Smith I'd not call that a chance at all. You don't catch the ball in your fingertips.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, obviously not - but you want him to be in our side with no questions asked about his place going into the summer?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hopefully he will be (for Australia's sake anyways) as his innings, like most of Eng's top order, was pretty average and a reflection of how they've played for the last year
Ah, but you also know (well - you should) that Vaughan is capable of so much better, and if he gets the runs when he's not playing that well, this takes the pressure off him and makes it much more likely that he'll get the runs when he is playing well.

And back in 2008, yay, the sun's out. Hope it stays.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, that's the end of that - NZ -2 for 0 going into tomorrow. Lucky not to be at least 1 down, but we were probably lucky to get the lead ITFP, so no-one should be moaning too much about anything.

Was really pleased with the opening partnership but disappointed with Pietersen and Ambrose who padded-up to nothing balls. Bell and Collingwood didn't do much wrong obviously. Glad Vaughan got that century, obviously, even though he shouldn't have got more than 31. Hopefully he'll reassert himself at number-three (again...) and continue to play well in the winter. Heck, it's about time.

Can't see there being a result tomorrow either, but you never know.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would've given it myself TBH, same as I'd have given the Vaughan one. Sheeysh Kev, can't be many lbws in games you Umpire - it'd have to be on the boot in front of all 3 from wicket to wicket else n\o. :mellow:

Can Redders emulate Vaughan? Would have to say I doubt it, but a 74 would do such a thing.
9/10 there is a legit reason why it may not be out. May have pitched a shade outside leg, may be just going over, maybe just done too much. Very close isnt enough IMO.

I only give 'em if they are stone dead. Where no guess work is involved.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fair enuff I suppose, consistency is all anyone ever asks for in those matters.

Guess all it illustrates is that it's asking a hell of a lot to get one person to make the judgement on a one-off look at full speed with 4 or 5 people screaming at him. :) Sooner we get technological aids, be it replays, mats on the pitch, superimposition of stumps, lots of camera-angles, whatever (ideally not HawkEyes) at every level it's available, the better.

Though obviously that should be the last thing that's introduced. Cannot believe we've been using third-Umpires and technology for 16 years and still it's expected that the standing-Umpire calls no-balls. 8-) It'd be far-from-difficult to manufacture something that did the job and just bleeped in the Umpire's earpiece or something.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watching the highlights now, and boy, Martin had a cracker of a day. Vettori got the headlines, but Martin produced two of the balls of the match (Strauss and Bell). He's kept New Zealand in this game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye, and he should've had Vaughan too, of course, without falling into broken-record territory.

Martin easily the best of NZ's bowlers. Hope Mason gets picked ahead of Southee for the next game, I really do, for all sorts of reasons.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting tactically now, it's effectively a 1-day, 1-innings match, and it'll be interesting to what extent NZ are willing to roll the dice, or if they're just gonna play it safe and go for the draw. I reckon they should probably gamble...