• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NRL 2008 Thread

99*

International Debutant
I remembered that some years ago, Australia were talking themselves up saying they could pick 3 or 4 sides that would beat NZ, and it came back to haunt them.
I'd say the Aussie 1 and 2 sides would beat us with some ease, we'd do well against anything lower than that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don' t think the Kiwis gel well in these one off tests. Australia's 1st try was freakish, and I thought Smith's was a double movement. Still the Kiwis handling was horrid, and they were rudderless in attack.
May have been different with all the ball they had before half time if they had someone like Stacy Jones there - would've backed them to put a couple of tries on tbh.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Aweful aweful first twenty minutes, even if Australia's first try was incredible. I actually thought for the remainder of the game the sides were pretty even; if only New Zealand could convert its chances more often, like the Kangaroos did in that first quarter of the match, we'd have had a chance.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For the first five and after the 22nd minute, I thought it was a fairly good match. The first Kiwi try was close to the best of the night. SBW really is a cut above the rest. They've definitely improved from last year, and should be a lot better for the WC.

What was most pleasing on the night was Falou's try and the fact that it was 3 QLD players involved in that one. Can't wait for Origin.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was good to see a bunch of Roosters players play well for the kiwi's tbh.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.
Soliola hasnt played that well in a club game for about three years, bet Freddie is hoping he finally does something now that it looks like he has a bit of confidence.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Soliola hasnt played that well in a club game for about three years, bet Freddie is hoping he finally does something now that it looks like he has a bit of confidence.
Yeah, could use a dynamic centre who could break a game open. Haven't really had one since Hodges left.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Don't see what it affects personally. Posts are exactly the same as they would be except for one line at the end. Pretty fickle, but I suppose it's to be expected from you lot.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Soliola pretty gun got the potential to be the 3rd best centre in the game if he stays fit. Not including Folau and Inglis there, as they play a lot of there football in other positions.

Looking at NZ side they got a handful of players in Williams, Inu, Soliola, Marshall, Mannering and Asotasi who are or could be one best players in Rugby League. If they could improve their depth and stop picking average to crap first graders they might actually be competitive.

PS. Always thought Smith was crackpot, so don't see the point in stating otherwise. A waste of time really.

Craig

World Traveller
Soliola pretty gun got the potential to be the 3rd best centre in the game if he stays fit. Not including Folau and Inglis there, as they play a lot of there football in other positions.

Looking at NZ side they got a handful of players in Williams, Inu, Soliola, Marshall, Mannering and Asotasi who are or could be one best players in Rugby League. If they could improve their depth and stop picking average to crap first graders they might actually be competitive.

PS. Always thought Smith was crackpot, so don't see the point in stating otherwise. A waste of time really.
Well if there were better options they probably would have picked them. They have two pretty good five eights, but **** halfbacks.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well if there were better options they probably would have picked them. They have two pretty good five eights, but **** halfbacks.
I did mean stop having to pick average first graders, cus there is no one else. They need to start by improving their own development of players, most of the top players in the Kiwi side were finished off atleast in Australia, or were developed through rugby.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree.

Doubt Slater would have been selected if Hunt was fit anyway. Couldn't believe it when Slater threw that pass in goal.

Craig

World Traveller
Slats's Fumbles A Worry

I would give Hunt the nod for Qld, regardless of what happened last night.

Hunt rocks, and has the proven capacity to get smashed...and then rebound.
I thought that would be a certainty (and Slater goes onto the wing) anyway. I have a funny feeling Cooper Cronk will get picked before Scott Prince for Game 1 since Lockyer is out.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Talk is Tate and Bell are favored for vacant wing/centre spot over Slater, due to their better defence. Would go with Slater personally as there nothing wrong with their defence in the backline and he isn't that bad anymore himself. Doubt it will make too much difference. Queensland should still win by 50 odd anyway.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Mate I reckon $85 for four people is a pretty damn good price to see the best players in the world- considering an adult has to shell out over $50 for even the worst Origin ticket.
tbf I think the Aussie team is just that good. We have absolute brilliant world class players in every position and somehow it seems to just gel.
I just love the use of the two bolded phrases when it comes to rugby league. You blokes have obviously reading and listening to too much of the cheerleading rugby league media.

Look, I like rugby league - watched a bit of the test after work - but building the international game up with phrases like those are just silly.

And despite this, some of you still enjoy thrashing an opposition side when the international game is on its legs already:

i usually reserve this one for souths but

:laugh: at New Zealand
Good for you.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
How aren't they world class? Just because only 3 or 4 countries actively participate in League doesn't mean there isn't a world class player.

Anyway, Raiders were absolutely terrible tonight.