• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

funnygirl

State Regular
Delhi didn't have that many batsmen ,ofcourse bowling line up is the best of the lot .Hydrabad just fell flat on its hype.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Symonds is probably one of the best ODI batsman seen since the King Viv you know? In recent years he's been one of the most devastating bats of all time and thus far he's been able to transform that into his price tag. Sure in Tests he may not be the highest quality but in ODI and T20 to doubt him is being niave, easily a player who should be fetching the top dollar.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:cool: Yup, I hope so.
Same here.

Wasn't it just magic seeing McGrath and Asif bowling end to end? Reminded me of when McGrath and Gillespie were at their best together; giving the batsmen absolutely nothing. Asif looks pretty confident so I'd suggest he's come back well from injury where McGrath was a cranky old bugger with mid-fields, wasn't he? Loved it.

As for Symonds, hey anyone notice he's only had a couple of knocks so far and one of them was a solid one on a tough deck? He's hitting the ball well, matter of time before he has a run of scores I reckon.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Symonds is probably one of the best ODI batsman seen since the King Viv you know? In recent years he's been one of the most devastating bats of all time and thus far he's been able to transform that into his price tag. Sure in Tests he may not be the highest quality but in ODI and T20 to doubt him is being niave, easily a player who should be fetching the top dollar.

Sure he is a devastating bat, but I would still take someone with a ODI average of 55 and sr of 87 over someone with a average of 40 and sr of 92. Hussey for me is the best batsman going in all forms.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As for Symonds, hey anyone notice he's only had a couple of knocks so far and one of them was a solid one on a tough deck? He's hitting the ball well, matter of time before he has a run of scores I reckon.
Maybe, but he'd have to do a lot more though to make up for Warne and McGrath and Hussey and Asif. All of whom combined make less than Symonds. Same goes for Dhoni.

Obviously, it's not their fault. They got paid because the franchises stupidly thought they were worth that much, so its more the franchises who will kick themselves in the ass, not the players. If I was Dhoni or Symonds, I'd be laughing my ass off.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sure he is a devastating bat, but I would still take someone with a ODI average of 55 and sr of 87 over someone with a average of 40 and sr of 92. Hussey for me is the best batsman going in all forms.
Since Husseys debut

Symonds 70 innings 15 NO 2448 @ 45.16 SR 96.16
Hussey 64 innings 26 NO 2113 @ 55.60 SR 87

Symonds 4 100's 16 50's
Hussey 2 100's 12 50's

Now as fantastic as I think Hussey is, in the shorter form of the game I would pick Symonds over him everyday of the week as a bat alone, not even considering what else he brings with some part time bowling and peerless fielding.

pasag

RTDAS
McGrath and Asif bowling together was awesome. Gilchrist's six off Asif was nice, but he's really looking old, from what I've seen he doesn't seem to have the energy or motivation for this as opposed to some of the other old timers like Warne and McGrath, maybe because it's too close to his retirement as opposed to the other two who have had a fair break, who knows?

pasag

RTDAS
Indeed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No, they paid for Symonds because they all thought he would dominate. They were obviously wrong.
Disagree completely. Hate sells, Symonds was paid so much for the same reasons Dhoni was. If Symonds was not involved in so much drama this summer vs. India then he wouldn't have gone for as much. Still would have been expensive, but not that much more expensive than a Mike Hussey.

Image + Ability to dominate = $$$

And on top of that, Symonds is still an absolute champion, how were they wrong? He's failed once.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No *you* have to justify why someone who's only just scraped his Test average fractionally below 30 is the best bowler in the world at the moment, the burden of proof lies with you not me.

Lee's scraped a few good Tests together in favourable conditions and against batsmen who've a weakness against that combination. So what? Season before last he was average, season before that... average. He's not in the top 3 of either bowler rankings either.
Lol, GTFO. Who do you think you are, Roy Black? I'm not in my Crim Law class here, and when I come on CW I don't have a burden of proof to satisfy. Incredibly arrogance on your part. Not that I'm surprised.

When I say who I believe the best bowler in the world is in such a situation (you need wickets to win, I'd bring on Lee over anyone in the world) I don't need to qualify that statement with such evidence. Unless you'd like me to put in an affidavit too?

Brett Lee is the one bowler in the world atm that I think could have ripped Watson out in such a scenario. He wasn't utilised.

Who do you think is better? Your baby boy Steve Harmison?

Dissector

International Debutant
Where they may over-estimated Symonds is his bowling which is useful in ODI's but is pretty vulnerable in TT. One of the great things about TT is how part-time bowlers, who can get by in the middle overs of an ODI, are carted without mercy by batsmen with a license to hit at pretty much any point of an innings. Plus in a shorter game, a single terrible over can be decisive; this happened several times in the WC.

The flip side of all this is that quality bowlers become all the more valuable even if they can't bat.

Laurrz

International Debutant
have looked forward to McGrath and Asif bowling together once i heard they were in the same team :D

smart gets for Delhi...

CDAK

U19 Debutant
it may be for the first time in his life, Sehwag faced this sort of a cold response from Indian crowd,after he made a 50!! :laugh: strange things r happening in the world now.
I hope, chennai crowd won't be like that for Sachin.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
could you tell me who would have been in the team at that time? .... clearly that was not a good period for Indian cricket

during Ganguly's era a lot of good young players came in like Yuvi, Zaheer, Bhajji, Sehwag, and by then Laxman, Dravid, Srinath had also picked up their games .... which made a lot of difference .... guys like Kaif and Nehra, who came in, were in good form too
what about Sriram, Pankaj Dharmani, Amol Muzumdar???? Even VVS wasn't given a longer run inspite of his obvious potential.... I know his performances were bad but it was not like the others were setting the world on fire...

Anyways, I do agree that the talent coming through during Sachin's tenures were very bad compared to the talent that came through when Sourav was captain. But I still don't rate his talent spotting abilities at all... I guess it is just an opinion more than anything else...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
it may be for the first time in his life, Sehwag faced this sort of a cold response from Indian crowd,after he made a 50!! :laugh: strange things r happening in the world now.
I hope, chennai crowd won't be like that for Sachin.
nah... we love him over here.... Bet he will get an awesome response, even bigger than Dhoni, if he plays tonight. :)

And I am going to the game, btw....... :)