• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vivian Richards vs Sachin Tendulkar

Who was the better Test match batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No, your points don't remain valid, that's the whole issue. Saying a certain player played when they didn't makes that bowling attack weaker for example. Saying a certain player scored on a certain pitch, trying to say that the batting effort was of a different standard for example is wrong. Saying one player was in one part of his career and getting the years wrong in the comparison contradicts your whole point..
What nonsense ? I mean how low can you get. At least on one occasion in this discussion I menttioned the Multan test. Now take a look at the Multan test played sometime around 2003, Did Saqlain play there ? YES, Did Akhtar play there ? YES, Did Tendulkar Hammer them ? YES.

But no you will have none of it, why ? because you like clutching at straws.

I work from memory too. But considering a lot of this stuff is 10+ years ago, I check not to look like a duffer.
Turns out you still are one.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yo Kaz i got your back here son, but i do sense you are being a bit biased here towards Ponting.

So if you are not too stressed arguing Punter's case run the 411 by me let me get the jist of whats really poppin with this argument dawg?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't you say that viv was averaging 60 in the 80s ? Turns out, you are not really that much good at reading Statsguru either.
Ohhhh, I mean't in terms of cumulative average. He was averaging, career record-wise, in the 60s in the 80s. But in the sense that his overall record in the 80s should count, yeh that isn't a reflective stat.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What nonsense ? I mean how low can you get. At least on one occasion in this discussion I menttioned the Multan test. Now take a look at the Multan test played sometime around 2003, Did Saqlain play there ? YES, Did Akhtar play there ? YES, Did Tendulkar Hammer them ? YES.

But no you will have none of it, why ? because you like clutching at straws.
You said Ponting scored against a weak attack, which turned out to be roughly the same attack Tendulkar had played against. Then you suddenly said it was never a weak attack.

You said the attack in 89 was 100 times worse than the one in 99, but still you went onto talk-up the line-up when it suited you to argue about Tendulkar's 'relative' success as a 16 year old. You got Ponting's records mixed up, hiding number of innings and you tried to level the century count as a way of hiding the truth that Ponting scored more runs in 1 inning than Tendulkar did the rest of the 90s. You got the ground wrong in which he scored that record too.

These were all at the top of my head, I am sure you made more mistakes if I had looked back. You should have some shame or at least reflect on what the hell it is you're arguing.

Turns out you still are one.
Said the guy who is trying to argue that an average of 30 is a good achievement.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yo Kaz i got your back here son, but i do sense you are being a bit biased here towards Ponting.

So if you are not too stressed arguing Punter's case run the 411 by me let me get the jist of whats really poppin with this argument dawg?
Not hard to see why someone would think I am biased towards Ponting here :laugh: . But it's not the kind of bias that will see me back him no matter what. He has an amazing record which stands on it's own merits. It needs little bias to argue for it.

I think if you look at my reply to HB you will get the jist of it. If you want more info look at the thread since we started this 'debate' - which I am not sure we are continuing in this thread which has nothing to do with Ponting. :laugh: I hope people reading the thread will read through the arguments with an unbiased mind and get some new conclusions from them.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously, now you have to resort to nit picking. 2003 vs. 2004. it was 2003-04 season, that's why I keep menitioning 2003. It is proof enough that I was speaking from my memory and not by looking at cricinfo. The test in question is (which I am sure you knew what I was talking about) :-

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/64081.html
I know which series you were talking about but Saqlain played only one match against India.

No, only you have the right to denigrate great cricketers. I dont have to denigrate anyone to know/prove how great Tendulakr is. It is almost universally accepted that Tendulkar and Lara are the best of their generation. Everyone else is a notch below, regardless of their average and no. of runs/centuries etc. But for the likes of you to make Ponting the greatest of his era , it is a necessity to denigrate the best of the best and hence the crap being unloaded by you here.
If giving everyone the same standard is denigrating, I will denigrate. For you to have the gall to try and downplay a 197 against that attack on that pitch and then also fail to mention that almost 1100 runs were scored in an inning on the pitch against Pakistan that Tendulkar scored against shows you have little respect for either player.

The difference between you and I is that I don't say "hey, his 136 shouldn't count because of X and Y". You've yet to read me here say Tendulkar was not a great batsman, Tendulkar is not an all-time great batsman, etc. I say count it, cherish it, but it still isn't enough to prove he was great or even just average against them. And this is just Pakistan, there is also S.Africa as well.

In any case, for the record I was just suggesting that Ponting's runs in the 1998 test didn't come against the great pace attack of Pakistan. And against similar attack(and pitch) Sachin Tendulkar was better than Ponting despite not being in best of form.
Ponting's great inning came against Shoaib, Wasim and Saqlain. Are you now taking back that this is no longer a strong Pakistan attack?

In the end, it's like trying to hear you cram a square peg in a round hole. An average of 30 is not just going to cut it. And it's not like the rest of his career has proven you right? He only has 2 centuries against Pakistan, one in a difficult situation in the 90s and one in a run-orgy post 2000. To his credit he's made his overall record much better, but we both know he's scored against a Pakistan that isn't the same Pakistan. And now that Sri Lanka have emerged as one of the better bowling sides he averages 37 against them too.

I mean, really, you ever actually objectively looked at his record? Or is this thread like someone taking away your hero? Because I've not been confusing about anything here, it's not hard to take in any of these arguments. You've resorted to name-calling - I mean, I don't care if you're aggressive, but be so with the posts; say my logic is **** but then go to explain it - and the logic you've brought to counter has been poor. I say this almost in a way of advise because I've seen you argue a lot of stuff here in a very diligent manner. This thread here has showcased a sloppy response to something you disagree with. You're wasting my time and yours. If you respond with something new, something that is intriguing, I'll respond. But if it's the same dribble then you're not going to change my mind or any others. Trust me, my mind is open for change. I am the kind of person who will let go of a previous perception at the drop of a hat if I can see your logic.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I know which series you were talking about but Saqlain played only one match against India..
And the Multan test was one where Shoaib and Saqi both played. No marks for guessing why Saqi wasn't played again in the series.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You said Ponting scored against a weak attack, which turned out to be roughly the same attack Tendulkar had played against. Then you suddenly said it was never a weak attack..
So what was the attack when Ponting played Pak in 1998, if that is not weak Pak attack then what is ? Ponting scored a 70 something and 41, against similar attack Tendulkar hammered 194 in Multan.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I mean, really, you ever actually objectively looked at his record? Or is this thread like someone taking away your hero?
Sachin Tendulkar and my Hero ? Not in a million years. He is never been my favorite cricketer, not even my favorite Indian cricketer. You really have no clue as always.

If Tendulkar were an Aussie or a Pakistani and Ponting were an Indian, I would have discussed it same way.

Unlike You, I dont come here and discuss things with a nationalistic bias.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If giving everyone the same standard is denigrating, I will denigrate. For you to have the gall to try and downplay a 197 against that attack on that pitch and then also fail to mention that almost 1100 runs were scored in an inning on the pitch against Pakistan that Tendulkar scored against shows you have little respect for either player.
I dont have to mention everything, I put the score card for you to see. There was nothing I was trying to hide. Ponting's 197 was a good inning ( and I did make a mistake about the ground) but it is nowhere as good as Tendulkar's 136. Not Even Close. Neither the attack was as good, nor the pitch was as difficult to bat on. Not to forget the situation of the match.

Tendulkar's 136 is one of the greatest inning of in last 25 years whereas Ponting's is just another big inning, important one for his team, but just another big inning.

The difference between you and I is that I don't say "hey, his 136 shouldn't count because of X and Y". You've yet to read me here say Tendulkar was not a great batsman, Tendulkar is not an all-time great batsman, etc. I say count it, cherish it, but it still isn't enough to prove he was great or even just average against them. And this is just Pakistan, there is also S.Africa as well.
I never said 197 shouldn't count. What I said is, it doesn't prove anything. It doesn't mean that Ponting was hugely successful against the Pakistan attack, Before scoring 197, Ponting was out for 3 ducks in a row. Yes in the end his average was boosted and if one looked at the average, it will appear that he was hugely succesful, but the fact was that he struggled against the Pakistanis for most of the series. Another Example is Virender Sehwag in the recently concluded SA series, He scored 300+ in one inning but struggled for rest of the series or endulkar in Australia 2003-04, struggled all series except Sydney where he scored 300+ runs, which boosted his average. Doesn't mean Tendulkar had a highly successful series in 2003-04 against Australia or Sehwag had a highly successful series against SA this month.

Ponting's great inning came against Shoaib, Wasim and Saqlain. Are you now taking back that this is no longer a strong Pakistan attack?
It was not a great inning. Yes he scored 197 odd runs, but it was not a great inning, just like Tendulkar's 241 in Sydney or 193 in Adelaide. It was just another high scoring inning nothing special about it.

And now that Sri Lanka have emerged as one of the better bowling sides he averages 37 against them too.
What a Load of CRAP. As usual. And you claim that you are not denigrating the guy ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I mean, really, you ever actually objectively looked at his record? Or is this thread like someone taking away your hero? Because I've not been confusing about anything here, it's not hard to take in any of these arguments. You've resorted to name-calling - I mean, I don't care if you're aggressive, but be so with the posts; say my logic is **** but then go to explain it - and the logic you've brought to counter has been poor. I say this almost in a way of advise because I've seen you argue a lot of stuff here in a very diligent manner. This thread here has showcased a sloppy response to something you disagree with. You're wasting my time and yours. If you respond with something new, something that is intriguing, I'll respond. But if it's the same dribble then you're not going to change my mind or any others. Trust me, my mind is open for change. I am the kind of person who will let go of a previous perception at the drop of a hat if I can see your logic.
Charity begins at home. Enuff said.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, we're not on the same page because I am not arguing that because Ponting did well against S.Africa and Pakistan he is better than Sachin.

Here we go:

Sachin is considered untouchable because of his form in the 90s. Yet Ponting is trounced on because of his in the 2000s. Really, the bowling differences are too small to suggest Ponting would still be mediocre, being the only one averaging 60+ (taking out Bang/Zim) he stands alone his record is very comparable with Sachin's.

But here's the thing, Sachin is considered great, because he somehow played tougher attacks and was great whereas Ponting failed. Which I've proved isn't true. Sachin was great against 2/4 great attacks of his time and was more than great against the rest. Whereas with Ponting, where it's apt to compare, with regards to the touted differences, ALSO does well against 2/4 (one of them is his own team which he cannot play - so it's 2/3 really). So what does that mean? That in the 90s, when bowling and pitch conditions were tough, Ponting has a similar record to Sachin.

Now, fast forward to post-2000 and there is absolutely no comparison. Tables have turned immensely if not even more in favour of Ponting. Ponting still has the record of doing well against great attacks in the 90s, but he dominates even the 'mediocre/weaker' ones of the post 2000 (that aren't much different to the ones in 90s that Sachin was belting).

So, on that equal footing, we look at their overall records and it's plain to see. Ponting has the better all-round record and anything that justifies denigration is debatable at best.

Now, despite the fact that their records are so close, and where it mattered in the 90s Ponting also had success, Ponting still cannot compare for some people. And then you have to ask yourself, what did Tendulkar do to get this unabashed support by some people? Couldn't be his performances post-2000, has to be pre-2000. And here we are, looking at them and seeing that Ponting's overall record makes a mockery of Tendulkar's 90s one. But STILL, cannot compare. :laugh:

Sachin played an away series a month before the 90s as well, let's factor that in because apart from date, it's relevant. But even disregarding that, it's still not upto standard here.

Ponting looked like a man possessed in his 197, what does that matter if for the rest of his scores he was poor? But Ponting's obviously not a fluke. A couple years later against Pakistan with Akhtar, Waqar and Saqlain he scored another 141.

Cricket is more than playing one innings great or two innings great, it is about consistency. And you simply cannot argue that 30 runs per dismissal is a great record. You may argue that Tendulkar is/was capable of more? I can't dispute that, that's conjecture anyway. I am talking about what did happen.

And to be frank, Tendulkar against S.Africa is still rather poor. Not just home or away but overall. There are no ifs or buts there.

HB mate, have you seen me dispute him batting very well? Looking great? Being on top? I have not. I dispute his record because consistency is what I am after in this instance.

Still, my reply to that is much the same as the one above.

I'm sure there are side-issues and I would love to hear more of them. As much as I can remember, I don't remember everything. Lara aside, Tendulkar is different. He faced them both (Pakistan/S.Africa) when he was pretty much on top-form.

Here's the thing, I am not going just by stats. I've been around for a while, I've seen both play many many times. Tendulkar looking a cut above is just funny for me because that is exactly what I think of Ponting, but it doesn't matter...because it is all subjective. Ponting in the last few years has looked so good it's beyond belief. You're literally disappointed, he is in himself, if he doesn't at least hit a century. How ridiculous is that? And if we're getting that subjective? What about Viv? What about Lara? For me, without some justification, simply saying one player looked better than another is not a valuable point.

And with regards to Warne, well my friend, Warne didn't have to face much of ol' Ricky did he? Warne's player ranking (as we saw from his top 50 list) is also quite objectionable - see Steve Waugh. But I leave that aside, because I can respect that opinion and it's fine. I can respect anyone that says Tendulkar is slightly better, it's fine. Frankly, I think Lara is better than Tendulkar too. But it's just my opinion and it's too close to deny that there is logic saying Tendulkar can also claim to be better.

Well, I think you just hit the right note there. It is subjective, especially because it is so close. But what isn't subjective is how Ricky fared in the 90s against quality bowling. What isn't subjective, is even regarding the drop in bowling standard/pitches, Ponting's peak is mammoth. What isn't subjective is that they're close and there is no clear choice either way. But to call someone biased if they pick Ponting is a joke. To say they're not close is a joke. Some of the points raised against Ponting are, frankly, a joke.

There seems to be something in the forum that has just eaten up the ideas that batsmen/bowlers of today aren't comparable and use hyperbole towards anything anyone else has done in the past. We've had a long debate here and I hope I've opened some people's eyes. Wouldn't be much of a voluntary thing as I'm sure it's more akin to prying some people's eyes open.
Don't really want to get into a nit picking argument about 4 all time great batsmen, because I believe it is almost never fair to any of those players...

Put it this way... I rate all 4 as all time greats, the proviso being that Punter doesn't have a big form slump from now... And I have watched 3 of them at their very best. I don't think Sachin and Lara are ahead by A LOT from Ponting but having watched them at their best, I do think they are a slight notch above... And to me, Ponting trumps every other batsman since 2000... But there is just a small X factor about Sachin and Lara that doesn't seem as big with Ponting. Extremely subjective and opinion based, but that is what this is... My opinion.

ret

International Debutant
Another thread for the scrapyard .... appears as if some of the dumbest in the world are posting here, and i posted here too :p