• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick retires from international cricket

Woodster

International Captain
A sad end to an excellent international career, his standing in the England side has grown since he has been unavailable, I am not suggesting he was taken for granted, but without him taking it to the attack early on we have had a tendency to plod along somewhat, and this has become more noticeable during his absence.

England have undoubtedly missed his presence in the side, maybe more so in ODI's, and I also don't buy into the thinking he was such a lucky player. He was a quality Test and ODI opener and if players dropped chances off him, like what happens to every player, he had the quality to make them pay.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England have undoubtedly missed his presence in the side, maybe more so in ODI's, and I also don't buy into the thinking he was such a lucky player. He was a quality Test and ODI opener and if players dropped chances off him, like what happens to every player, he had the quality to make them pay.
The point is, though, he had more than almost anyone else tends to. Everyone gets let-offs, unquestionably, and while no-one's exactly the same, most people tend to get around the same amount. The odd few - Trescothick included - got \ will get rather more than the norm, however, and I think it'd be wrong to refuse to accept this when assessing his achievements.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's no doubting he's played some excellent Test innings, but in 70 games that's kinda inevitable really. This shouldn't, though, for my money, obscure the fact that he was poor often, especially when the opposition were taking their catches (relatively rare though that was).

While I'm glad of the highlights, I'm never going to rate him as aught but someone who relied heavily upon let-offs to score Test runs. A very, very fine ODI player, though - one of our very best. And until this day I was hoping he might be able to return to the format. Not to be, but a superb ODI career nonetheless.
God you talk crap

A faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better test opener than Vaughan wil ever dream of being but he's from the south

Really sad to hear

Woodster

International Captain
The point is, though, he had more than almost anyone else tends to. Everyone gets let-offs, unquestionably, and while no-one's exactly the same, most people tend to get around the same amount. The odd few - Trescothick included - got \ will get rather more than the norm, however, and I think it'd be wrong to refuse to accept this when assessing his achievements.
Every chance has varying degree of difficulty also, what are classed as chances may only in reality have been half chances. I refuse to get involved in a discussion on chances Tres or anybody has given away rather than pay him the compliments he deserves on a highly accomplished international career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
God you talk crap
:laugh: Wrong!
A faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better test opener than Vaughan wil ever dream of being but he's from the south
Being a better Test opener than Vaughan is nothing to shout about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Every chance has varying degree of difficulty also, what are classed as chances may only in reality have been half chances.
No such thing as a half-chance, IMO, something's either a chance or it's not. Most of the drops off Trescothick tended to be be easy ones.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We all know Richard's opinion on Tres: lucky, first-chance average, blah, blah, vomit. It just seems rather mean-spirited to plaster it all over a thread that is, essentially, one to remember/eulogise his international career.

Woodster

International Captain
No such thing as a half-chance, IMO, something's either a chance or it's not. Most of the drops off Trescothick tended to be be easy ones.
No such thing as a half chance ? Will disagree strongly with you there.
To say most dropped chances off Tres were easy ones is rather a large generalisation and guess!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
For all that he frustrated me during various parts of his career, his parts in the series win in SA and, obviously, the 2005 ashes, were absolutely crucial. Arguably second only to Flintoff. Or perhaps joint second with Hoggie & Strauss. Either way, he gave me some great memories and right now you can only hope that he recovers sufficiently to enjoy the rest of his life. At the end of the day, it was only a bloody game.

haroon510

International 12th Man
one of my most favorite player from England side.. best opener of 2000s in both form of the game.. outstanding player.. he will be missed..

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad news, he was my favourite England player for most of his career. Excellent career it was too.

masterblaster

International Captain
It's sad news in more ways than one. Firstly, because English Cricket and International Cricket will be a poorer place without him as he was a really good batsman to watch on his day. Secondly, after a long battle, his mental issues have gotten the better of him and have prevented him in playing the sport he loves.

I think that's the biggest tragedy that's come out of the story. I sincerely hope that Marcus recovers from his mental and emotional issues and can live the rest of his life with good mental health and peace of mind.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Probably a poor way to start this post, but to all the English fans, all I can say is I told you so (that Tresco wouldn't play for England again). Though other than that, it is still sad to see such a good bloke leave the game on such terms. I always enjoyed watching him play and just bludgeon the ball . Not the most attractive player, but thats the type of cricket I like.

Quite possibly my favourite English cricket player over the last 10 years.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't think he had played so many tests, he did so much in such a short time. Was a very ugly batsman, but a fine one. Even though Cook is a much better player, he did serve his country well.