• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now waiting for the myriad excuses from the Williams. They never just say they were outplayed or beaten by a better player - it's always something to do with them as to why they lost, never their opponent.

Dydl

International Debutant
Predicted Williams for the victory, but don't mind Jankovic winning at all, she played much better.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now waiting for the myriad excuses from the Williams. They never just say they were outplayed or beaten by a better player - it's always something to do with them as to why they lost, never their opponent.
Blister apparently.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Out of curiosity, you a Hewitt fan?

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Any predictions for the Henin - Sharapova match? It will be the aggression of Sharapova against the experience of Henin...it will be a cracker of a match imo.

Dydl

International Debutant
I reckon Henin. Been in good form recently too, on a bit of a roll. Could be completely wrong though, hope not.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Wow - how good is this Tsonga kid? I now have a new favourite tennis player. Hopefully he can sustain this style and level of play and tonight's effort isn't just a flash in the pan.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tsonga's been on the rise since grass-court season last year. Exciting talent.

Cannot believe Serena and Henin lost today, I expected those two to battle in the semi-final.

Also cannot believe Henin lost a set to Sharapova 6-0.

Johnners

Haha whoa, you're not the only 1 Jono. Couldn't believe how poor Williams was on serve in her match. Hoping for an Ivanovic/Sharapova final now. If V Williams loses tomorrow, it would be the first time in a while where neither Henin or the Williams sisters have been in the final 4 of a Slam.

Mister Wright

Can't believe Jankovic beat Serena. The way she played againt Dellelaqua (or whatever her name is) she didn't deserve to win. All credit to her.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
People hate Hewitt because he's a wanker. I thought everyone knew that?
The hate he gets from some quarters is not normal imo. I don't think that it is because he is a sore loser or whatever. That is just an excuse to hate him where the sympton may lie some where else. Australia likes winners and in comparison to the likes of Federer, Nadal, Hewitt is mediocre. Worse, he acknoledges the same. Rafter raised the Australian hopes but the Hewitt era has been that of disappointment in men's tennis. It is a bit like the criticism Tim Henman recieves in England so much. Now Henman did exceedingly well for the amount of talent he possessed at Wimbledon. Yet, Henman found himself getting so much negative assessments.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yeah, but Lleyton Hewitt >>>>> Clapo's ute down a 40-mile dirt road >>>> Tim Henman as a tennis player.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The hate he gets from some quarters is not normal imo. I don't think that it is because he is a sore loser or whatever. That is just an excuse to hate him where the sympton may lie some where else. Australia likes winners and in comparison to the likes of Federer, Nadal, Hewitt is mediocre. Worse, he acknoledges the same. Rafter raised the Australian hopes but the Hewitt era has been that of disappointment in men's tennis. It is a bit like the criticism Tim Henman recieves in England so much. Now Henman did exceedingly well for the amount of talent he possessed at Wimbledon. Yet, Henman found himself getting so much negative assessments.
Pratyush, until you live in Australia you won't understand.

I can guarantee you one thing, the dislike of Hewitt by many is NOTHING like Henman's in England. Its completely different.

And the dislike of Hewitt is also not due to his lack of success in recent times. Hell he's the last Australian to win a Wimbledon, something Rafter didn't do, and Rafter is eternally loved here in Australia.

For the most part, success has nothing to do with it. Its his attitude and character.

Him appearing on frickin' Home & Away doesn't help either FFS. Not to mention his proposal to Bec Cartwright right after he lost at the Aus Open Final in 05, taking away all the attention from Marat.

One of his recent dickhead moves is his complaining about the umpiring after Guccione beat him just before the Australian Open. Its his fellow countrymen, and the only other Australian male player who looks like even being able to make it past the first round of the Australian Open, and he publically says that had it not been for the umpiring, he wouldn't have lost to him.

I remember his hilarious quote about him saying he understands how the cricketers feel.

A lot of Aussies feel cheated that they've had to go from having Rafter represent Australian tennis, to Hewitt. The juxtaposition is astounding.

That being said, plenty of Aussies love him too, so there you go.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He won Wimbledon ages ago. He has certainly disappointed career wise so far. Henman and Hewitt bit which is similar according to me is that these are two countries who have been desperate for tennis success for a long time and haven't had great success for a long time and so the players are bound to get heavily bashed up until and unless you are a model of niceness Rafter was. Hewitt coming right after Rafter increases the hate towards Hewitt - I believe the same too. The Aussies feel cheated as you say. I don't think that it is fair for them to feel so because all the players can't be nice. From an outsider, I find the hate Hewitt recieves way OTT. He is some one who speaks his mind which is not a bad thing where I am concerned but which means that he can be lambaseted when he doesn't say some thing which a section doesn't approve.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
apparently she was playing at only 30%(she did look sluggish but jankovic had problems with her thigh injury as well) and she had the match on her racquet and gave it away...she did mention that jankovic played better than her but just couldn't resist the usual "excuse"...i don't expect any better from her now, i just hate that primal scream that she comes up with to motivate herself and intimidate her opponents...grunting/squealing from the female players is atrocious enough, her sound-barrier breaking screech is the absolute ****ing limit...venus is slightly better in both depts, doesn't give quite as many excuses when she loses and doesn't screech and howl on court quite so much....

Last edited:

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Watched Tsonga beat Youzhny yesterday, couldn't believe it. Youzhny was partially injured so that might be why he was defeated. Anyone know Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's world ranking?

Anyway I think Nadal will end Tsonga's streak, but Tsonga's a player for the future.