• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

Flem274*

123/5
The rumour going around is that Bracewell heard of his selection and ordered the other selectors to take him out of the side, with the false story about his 'ankle'.

FFS, NZ cricket is getting more like Pakistan cricket everyday. The quicker we get rid of Bracewell the better.
I heard a rumour that a band of NZ cricket fans that post on cricketweb were waiting at braces house with rifles....

Fiery

Banned
I disagree. He has always batted at 3 throughout his career domestically. Makes sense to have a guy in his normal position. Hes the no3 for NZ for the next 10 years IMO. He has done well at three, but actually a lot of his recent failures have come while batting at 5.

I remember Richardson saying batting no 5 was the hardest position in one dayers, some days you have to come at 200/3 and blaze away from the start, and others you come in at 20/3 and have to play a totally different style to rebuild.

From no3 he can settle and not have to worry about the state of the game as much and just bat.
Eyebrows rise sorry Matt. NZ domestic cricket and international cricket are worlds apart mate. Garvin Larsen batted at 5 for Wellington ffs. 5 is a far easier position to bat than 3 mate, I can assure you from personal experience and watching and following the game, in both forms

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Eyebrows rise sorry Matt. NZ domestic cricket and international cricket are worlds apart mate. Garvin Larsen batted at 5 for Wellington ffs. 5 is a far easier position to bat than 3 mate, I can assure you from personal experience and watching and following the game, in both forms
I hated batting at three too. But some guys like it (wierdos) and if thats where you have always batted and had international success batting at three then I dont see why it should change.

I know domestic cricket to internationals is a difficult change so why make it tougher by trying a different role than you are used to. I say make the change easier by keeping as many things as possible the same.

You do kinda explain yourself that 3 and 5 are very different positions, so just say to the guy, look, your role in the team is the same as what you did every week, just try and do what you normally do. But obviously to a tougher standard.

Us kiwis seem to try and complicate things a bit too much. The guy is the best no3 one day batsman in NZ so select him in that position in the national team, Simple as that.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm for this ODI series I wouldn't mind trying:

McCullum
How/Vincent/Bell/someone
Taylor
Fulton
Styris
Oram
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Gillespie
Patel

6 genuine bowlers in there and we have bowlers for all conditions and if someone has a bad day we can replace them with another genuine bowler. Best of all the batting is still pretty powerful. I rate Franklin to be a very good middle to lower order allrounder for us in the future.

Get rid of Gillespie.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Get rid of Gillespie.
Indeed. Gillespie has the best of both worlds wicket wise, he gets the new cherry and then the open all hours freebie wickets come the end of the innings, yet this guy misses the boat on both fronts and averages close to 50 with the ball and usually goes at comfortably more than a run a ball. How anyone can suggest New Zealand keep this guy around is beyond me.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Knee jerking from Geoff there, Taylor had several bad ones (seven actually) in a row and all of a sudden he can't be trusted with the bat. We seem to forget his glorious debut in his relatively short career. I think he makes a great number 3 after seeing some of his great innings. I think besides Fulton there is no one fit for the job in the current line up and I would rather Fulton as a safety 4 than a number 3. I think number 3's should be there to dominate games, Taylor IMO has the ability to do that more so than Fulton, though Fulton is probably the more reliable to not lose his wicket.

Flem274*

123/5
Indeed. Gillespie has the best of both worlds wicket wise, he gets the new cherry and then the open all hours freebie wickets come the end of the innings, yet this guy misses the boat on both fronts and averages close to 50 with the ball and usually goes at comfortably more than a run a ball. How anyone can suggest New Zealand keep this guy around is beyond me.
Don't think it really matter if we select Martin, Mason or Gillespie. Same result.

Flem274*

123/5
Good. James had been in runs recently. Hope he continue to put up his form in International cricket too.
No no no no no no no no no. He is hopeless. He'll be the batting version of O'Brien, no matter how many runs he gets domestically he doesn't have it in international cricket.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Really hoping Broom gets to play against Bangladesh. He scored quite a few runs @ over 50 last season and has a good record for NZ conditions. Is young and could go far in a black cap.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
No no no no no no no no no. He is hopeless. He'll be the batting version of O'Brien, no matter how many runs he gets domestically he doesn't have it in international cricket.
Is he actually in to the squad? Is it finalized?