• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top ten TEST bowlers of ALL-TIME

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
For more than half of Wasim's test career(when he was at his best),West Indies were the best side in the world.Imran averages 25.12 while Wasim averages 26.88 in West Indies.
May be they were but Australia were not even close to being the best in Imran's era but they were the best in Akram's time and check out his record in Australia vs. Imran's

Oh and just in case you didn't know Imran's bowling average against the mighty windies in WI was in 30s and thanks to his 11 wickets in a test match against a week batting line up in the 88 that it came under 30.

And was it Imran's fault that ICC didn't allow SA to play cricket for whole of his career?Since their return to cricket,South Africa has been nowhere near as good as West Indies 1976-1993 & Australia 1998-present in the batting department.So,even if South Africa were there to play tests from 1977-1992,Imran would've done well against them especially in South Africa given the bowling friendly conditions there.
Would have could have should have etc dont work with me. No it is not Imran;s fault that SA were banned but neither was it Akram's fault that BD, Zim etc were allowed to play, not that Zimbabwe during 90s were as good/bad SL of 80s.

Imran also had a much longer & more destructive peak period than Wasim,in fact better than any modern day bowler(Only Barnes & Lohmann have better peak than Imran).Personally,I think no Pakistani bowler comes close to Imran Khan.Wasim makes my alltime XIs & lists because he gets the advantage of being a left armer,otherwise he was nowhere near being as good as Imran Khan.
What you think doesn't count for much in my opinion. We have already established how biased you are when it comes to Imran Khan. Anyone who says that Wasim was nowhere near Imran as a bowler doesn't know crap about bowling.

And it is funny that you talk about peak when it suits you..but not consider it when it doesn't go in favor of your argument. That said , Imran didn't have a longer peak than Akram. Imran was at his peak between 1979 and 1986 whereas Akram was at his peak for pretty much all of his career. I watched Akram and Imran both bowl a lot and I dont think Akram was any less destructive than Imran at any point in his career. His stats dont show it and that's because he shared bowling with Waqar early in his career and then Shoaib later on.

Sri Lanka have never been a sub-standard Test side,Richard has already explained it in a perfect manner in his posts in this thread.
Richard's opinion has as much value as a horse's fart. But if at all you are going to consider SriLanka as a test standard nation then at least be consistent because Zimbabwe were pretty much of same standard during Akram's career.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, not unusual but was wondering why you would want to argue with me when we had agreed on it
Hahahaha! I'm not arguing with you about Such vs Giles as it happens. I'm debating the issue with the one and only Riccardo Montezuma.

I'm guessing this could be the perils of the ignore function??

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Please tell me who to give ten points to: Marshall or McGrath?

No ties please.
McGrath was a excellent bowler, but clearly....10 pts - MD Marshall

Look, as good as McGrath was, he was clearly a more "negative" bowler. A bowler who, yes, bowled to get people out but far more through negative means (containment policy). To be the considered the greatest in my view, if you have 2 bowlers with similar statistical records (and actually Marshall still has a better overall record) the nod clearly goes to the out-and-out attacking bowler, the one with the greater arsenal, the charisma, the aura etc...the one that has the "aesthetics", the one that makes cricket beautiful to watch.

The only "argument" you could put against Marshall is that he was bowling in a strong bowling attack. But to counter that, all the test sides were highly competitive (in batting and bowling, especially compared to today) which means the pressure was more evenly distributed between all players involved in a match.
Whereas, today, and especially for McGrath in the second half of his career - the batsmen were almost always under abnormally enormous pressure against Australia because their bowling attacks were so poor (constantly chasing 500+) .
I think its obvious batsmen's temperaments are much poorer today than what they were in Marshall's day.

Another question I ask myself in comparing bowlers for "greatness" to each other - if you could pick between bowlers for 1 place in the Bangladesh bowling attack who would it be?

No disrespect to McGrath but I wouldn't even have him in my top 10.

Top 10
1 M.Marshall
2 R.Hadlee
3 F.Trueman
4 C.Ambrose
5 SF Barnes
6 Imran Khan
7 Waqar Younis
8 Wasim Akram
9 A.Donald
10 M.Holding

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You misunderstand. I am suggesting that Warne benefits due to pressure created by McGrath having already made inroads into the opposition and keeping the scoring down.
And how does he? 2/3rds of his wickets are upper-middle order which suggests Warne got batsmen out that McGrath couldn't and were hence settled.

Especially in that Ashes, it puts such non-sense to rest where Warne bowled very early on and took many wickets.

Didn't McGrath do that, stem the tide, in the Lord's test by ripping through England? His absence resulted in a series loss, showing how he's very much the main man in the Aussie bowling. Without him, Australia couldnt win, despite Warne's best efforts.
Really, so much rubbish here that I insult myself by arguing. There are many tests that Warne did better than McGrath and he 'stemmed the tide' and it would be equally as stupid to say that without Warne, the main man, McGrath wouldn't do as well - which can actually be statistically verified.

Yes, injuries. Still, you would think that someone purported to be the 'greatest bowler ever' would have at least produced one match-winning or great performance in 14 tests against the best batting lineup he faced and best players of spin. At least one. Is that too much too ask for the supposed number one spinner? Instead, he just has a big hole in his resume.
His tests come either when he was green, in which he has ridiculously bad figures and in that period.

And he does have good figures against them. Last series he took at avg. of 30 and SR of 60 in India. And he missed the best pitch to bowl against India, a pitch where Clarke took 6 for 9.

Did I mention their averages? Lara and Tendulkar were the best of modern day batsmen (fact). McGrath had a noticable edge over both of them (fact). Warne was more than often a clear second-best against both of them (fact). You dont think McGrath should get credit for that?
That's rubbish. Which noticeable edge? They scored runs off him as well as anyone. Just because he took Lara's wicket often doesn't mean Lara didn't score mountains of runs against him and Australia.

I think McGrath dealt with many a batsman well and often the best batsmen in the opposition. However, it is not always the best batsman of the opposition that is performing the best in a certain match or in a certain instance and they are more dangerous than their better partners. It is just as important to get these fellows out, which Warne has done more than anyone. This is something stats won't tell you, how often, when needed, Warne changed the game around.

You seem to have a pretty loose definition of 'greatest bowler ever'. For me, I think anyone claiming that should have a proven impressive record against all countries, in all countries and against all top batsmen throughout their career. Someone who conquered and dominated every challenge put before him and with no major discrepancy to speak of. Sounds more like McGrath or Marshall than Warne.
To me it doesn't. Their aren't as many pitches conducive to spin as they are to pace, and especially in Australia, so I think Warne is greatly hindered on that aspect.

For me, neither Marshall nor McGrath trump Lillee as the greatest fast bowler of all time. And he, like Warne, has an 'imperfect' record. Warne's contemporaries and Lillee's both rank them the greatest in their respective disciplines if not of all-time. So not only do I have a loose definition of the 'greatest bowler ever' but so do most cricket pundits and a lot of those guys actually have claim for the title itself.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Oooh, Sanz "called me out" on it, big wow. There aren't many on CW who take him seriously, I'm afraid, banking on his support in no way disproves any bias.

And I wasn't skewing anything, I was showing a very clear pattern, which you do not recognise because it clashes with the opinion you've already formed.
Just Sanz?

Richard, you should, of all people, refrain from stating which opinions are respected here. It's rude in the first place and, secondly, you disagree the most with most members here - which shows you're hardly of the populous.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You can laugh all you want, unlike Lillian Thomson (and, dare say, yourself) I've actually spoken to people - lots of them - and know who thinks what of who, including myself and Sanz.
Ignoring the evidence - mainly the catalogue of hostility and general piss taking that comes your way on the forum - it's also a very wild and unsubstantiated claim with "sufficiently insufficient knowledge" that I haven't had contact with any members away from this forum.:laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ignoring the evidence - mainly the catalogue of hostility and general piss taking that comes your way on the forum - it's also a very wild and unsubstantiated claim with "sufficiently insufficient knowledge" that I haven't had contact with any members away from this forum.:laugh:
Are you still on for our weekly steamy webcam session tonight? :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Your argument that Giles is a better bowler is based solely on GIles having some 'winning' performances in him. The fact of the matter is that Such only played against Aus and NZ and bowled very well in the opportunities afforded him. If he'd been a vaguely decent batsman and fielder, he'd have played many more games - consigning GIles to the wheelie bin of history (apologies for that).
Such had retired by the time Giles was beginning the 2nd year of his Test career (2001\02). They were never competition - it was one after the other.

Undoubtedly Such would have had more opportunities to play Tests if he could bat and field better, but I still don't think he'd have been very likely to have helped win many games. Even if he didn't get the chance, that's tough - Giles had a better Test career than him and certainly a better domestic one - purely as a bowler, never mind as batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ignoring the evidence - mainly the catalogue of hostility and general piss taking that comes your way on the forum
Almost all from a small handful of people.
it's also a very wild and unsubstantiated claim with "sufficiently insufficient knowledge" that I haven't had contact with any members away from this forum.:laugh:
It's not an unsubstantiated claim, any fool can tell those willing to actually take a look and those that are willing to live in the fool's paradise and tell themselves that what they see - or appear to see, rather - on the forum tells them all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just Sanz?
Well, OK, Swervy too, but he's always a natural ally of anyone stating against me.
Richard, you should, of all people, refrain from stating which opinions are respected here. It's rude in the first place and, secondly, you disagree the most with most members here - which shows you're hardly of the populous.
It doesn't - as I've said, judging purely on what appears to be the case on the forum won't give you an accurate picture of people's attitudes.

Days of Grace

International Captain
  • Barnes
  • Grimmett
  • Hadlee
  • Lillee
  • Lindwall
  • Marshall
  • Muralitharan
  • O'Rielly
  • Spofforth
  • Warne
In alphabetical order
Please put them in order.

Sorry, but I clearly stated this in both this thread and the batting thread. Otherwise, I can't include your list.