• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's Record

bond21

Banned
Lillee is the best bowler ever, the only 2 bowlers who could come close to him would be McGrath and Marshall.

Anyone who says hes not an all time great is an idiot or knows nothing about cricket.

Fact is Murali will always be in Warne's shadow because of his action

Fiery

Banned
Lillee is the best bowler ever, the only 2 bowlers who could come close to him would be McGrath and Marshall.

Anyone who says hes not an all time great is an idiot or knows nothing about cricket.

When are you going to get banned?

archie mac

International Coach
That's true, no doubt, but from personal experience I've never tried to say Dennis Lillee wasn't an all-time great bowler. Myself, and others, have argued that other bowlers are better because they have performed similarly (or better) in all conditions, including in the subcontinent. Too often people miss the point completely, and think we are trying to say Lillee was a poor bowler.
Not that I have any intention of arguing this again, but you seem to be now suggesting that the fact he did not bowl that well in Pakistan now proves others as better bowlers8-)

Which I will say again is a silly argument8-) 8-) 8-)

Nothing more from me in this thread on Lillee:ph34r:

Let the cheap shots begin:-O

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not that I have any intention of arguing this again, but you seem to be now suggesting that the fact he did not bowl that well in Pakistan now proves others as better bowlers8-)
No, I am suggesting that Malcolm Marshall is a better bowler than Dennis Lillee because he performed better in other countries, and in Pakistan too.

That is all :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

:laugh: Oh, lor, how we won't miss you.
When you get banned

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Lillee argument when argued by the better ones isn't that he's not an all-time great, rather that there are some better than him as they've suceeded where he hasn't. Anyways, Murali's an all-time great, but not the undisputed greatest ever bowler either.
Yeah agreed.

Lillee is quite obviously an all-time great, and most knowledgeable posters would agree with that. Same with Murali too.

Its unfortunate holes in their record which they have to deal with. There's various reasons why they exist, but they exist none the less. I remember some Australian posters throwing out reasons for Warne's poor record in India, such as lack of cricket, shoulder injury etc. Same goes for Lillee and Murali, with the small sample space, the pitches, the bowling support etc.

All three are clearly all-time greats though.
BTW, this pretty well sums-up my feelings on the matter. Have never claimed Murali was the greatest bowler ever, nor would I, for a multitude of reasons, this amongst them.

BTW, though, Cameron - Murali is every bit a wristspinner as Warne. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What, you wanted a response saying "yeah, I am, amazing this being-up-at-before-10AM-lark-innit"?

I've tried to cut down on the unnecessary posts of late.

Now,I don't understand people coming up again & again with "not considering Lillee an alltime great" rubbish.Regarding his record in subcontinent,all some people including me say is that he's an alltime great but that there are some better bowlers than him because they've succeeded on subcontinent or for some other reasons such as stats,consistency etc.Lillee is an alltime great ,there's no doubt about it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Now,I don't understand people coming up again & again with "not considering Lillee an alltime great" rubbish.Regarding his record in subcontinent,all some people including me say is that he's an alltime great but that there are some better bowlers than him because they've succeeded on subcontinent or for some other reasons such as stats,consistency etc.Lillee is an alltime great ,there's no doubt about it.

That is true now, but not all that long ago yourself and a few others dismissed him as a green top bully unworthy of greatness. Most have now, to their credit, admitted they were wrong.:cool:

Evermind

International Debutant
This thread reminds me of when one of my friends was talking about Claudia Schiffer, and said "She's hardly attractive - her gums stick out a little when she smiles! URGH!"

As for Murali's action, I must admit that I always suspected there was something fishy about it, until I read Justin Langer's article about how he too used to think Murali's action was suspect - but changed his mind after looking at detailed replays and was thoroughly convinced now that it wasn't. If it's good enough for Langer, it's good enough for me.