• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Wright ODI record?

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
meh. history is littered with players lasting a lot time in international cricket and first class cricket with ordinary performances.... he's not the first, and he won't be the last.

Fiery

Banned
That sort of record actually wasn't too bad in those days, believe it or not (well...for a kiwi anyway). Wright was always an automatic selection in both formats at the time tbh

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender seems easily scared.

Wright stayed in because the other options - as per usual for NZ - were rubbish, Ron Hart et al.

Fiery

Banned
NZTailender seems easily scared.

Wright stayed in because the other options - as per usual for NZ - were rubbish, Ron Hart et al.
And because Glenn Turner put himself ahead of NZ and only played 41 games in the 15 years he played for NZ

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
meh. history is littered with players lasting a lot time in international cricket and first class cricket with ordinary performances.... he's not the first, and he won't be the last.
And more than ever, more than ever particularly in the 1970s and 1980s, it's littered with good Test players who played ODIs for ages despite being crap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not true at all. In any case, averaging over 30 is hardly a phenomena.

Two examples of outstanding Test batsmen who were wholly average in the shorter game are David Gower and Allan Border. Both averaged over 30... just.

Even today you still see it - Michael Vaughan played countless ODIs despite averaging in the low 20s for most of his career. Why? Because the selectors couldn't see past the fact he was a superb Test batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, let's try the cases of...

Chris Tavare
Mike Gatting
Derek Randall
Younis Khan
VVS Laxman
Michael Slater

And I could go on. (Bear in mind that this is an average in games that deserve ODI-status, not official averages)

Fiery

Banned
OK, let's try the cases of...

Chris Tavare
Mike Gatting
Derek Randall
Younis Khan
VVS Laxman
Michael Slater

And I could go on. (Bear in mind that this is an average in games that deserve ODI-status, not official averages)
Yes, but that's not "most good batsmen"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are plenty of good Test batsmen who were ODI failures. Just averaging 32-33 isn't being a ODI success.

John Wright was poor at ODIs and good at Tests, and he was by no means unusual.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sorry, you don't average less than 35 or so and be anything other in my books.

There may have been worse Kiwis, certainly, but Wright was no great shakes.

Fiery

Banned

So anyone who averages under 35 is a "poor" batmen? That's harsh. You know, and in fact you've argued ad nauseum in the past, that run rates and averages in Wright's days were much lower than today. Team scores were much lower on average

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Run-rates were way slower, sure, but if you're a good batsman (top-order batsman at least) you can still average in the high 30s, 40s.

I'm not one for using arbitary cut-off points, you know this, but 35 is a decent "general" number that you look to aim roughly for. For someone with a career average below this, you need something else to have been considered all that much shake.

Days of Grace

International Captain

So, basically, Stephen Fleming, Scott Styris, Chris Cairns etc. are poor batsmen in ODI cricket?