• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stages

cbuts

International Debutant
haha i find it funny that you think England have got a good scrum. Just cos you beat aussie up front.... Lets be honest the Aussie tight five is the worst out of the top nations.

In saying that, England def deserved their win, and i was cheering for them, but i think france will prob put 30 on them

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'd agree with Perm, England's scrum and general forward play was superb last night. I'd love to see an All Blacks backline playing behind an England pack.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well really there isn't anything wrong with our forward pack, if they were allowed to play together for more than one game at a time then we'd easily have the best pack in the world. Our scrum is the best, our loose forwards are very good, the only real concern would be the lineout.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Well really there isn't anything wrong with our forward pack, if they were allowed to play together for more than one game at a time then we'd easily have the best pack in the world. Our scrum is the best, our loose forwards are very good, the only real concern would be the lineout.
Our scrum was good this morning and our lineout was superb I thought. We got what must have been 3 or 4 off their throw, but I don't think our loose forwards played well, but that was probably more down to the French play.

We lack that aggressive intent that we used it have in our forward play IMO.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Our forward pack played really well, particularly Ali Williams. The loose forwards didn't play badly at all. We had over 70% possession. We lost because our back line was too flat. Obviously, France being offside at every ruck didn't help... It was RIDICULOUS that the ref had his back turned at the ruck... but what happened to our counter attacking? We really missed Mils at the back.

Anyway, I hope people don't forget what a great team this was and what a good job Henry did. They had a great run. We should be proud of these All Blacks.

James

Cricket Web Owner
But one of our best ever teams, who have acheived so much.
Agreed, but they didn't win the one that counts and that's what most people will remember them for. Its amazing the talent that has come and gone over the past 20 years, and we haven't had a single World Cup win.

Craig

World Traveller
Luke McAlister, biggest bogan out there, or has his pay cheque got biggen over the years that his brain capacity got smaller? A field goal attempt from 50m out WTF? I doubt even Zinzan Brooke would of be able to have done that (and Brooke was always one of my fave rugby players growing up).

Haha at England winning, been quite dire for the last few years and they could end up making the final.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Urgh, don't know what would be worse. Going to work on Monday in New Zealand with a bunch of people feeling crap like I am, or going to work on Monday in Edinburgh with a bunch of Scots and - more notably - English guys who will love to rub this in my face. Honestly, I'd rather work with French people than them after NZ lose. They take any loss the All Blacks have as a victory for them over me. Wouldn't mind the depressing state of NZ right now, actually, now that I think on it further. Rather a depressed country than my workmates out to rub my face in it. But to be fair, at least it's Saturday here so I have a day to prepare myself and, hopefully, get over it.

Henry shouldn't really get sacked, but he probably will.
Call in sick?

Craig

World Traveller
Can't really blame Gregan, Australia's forwards made it damn hard for him. It was slow ball. Australia couldn't maintain any continuity after the second phase. It's quite glorious really, it's all entirely down to their forwards and there was nothing they could do about it. I knew when Australia had an important scrum feed they'd blow... just beautiful.

Nothing's as beautiful as watching New Zealand lose... that people in New Zealand are suffering brings new life to my soul and fills it with grace.
Can we have a not feed the troll sign?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
haha i find it funny that you think England have got a good scrum. Just cos you beat aussie up front.... Lets be honest the Aussie tight five is the worst out of the top nations.

In saying that, England def deserved their win, and i was cheering for them, but i think france will prob put 30 on them
Australia's tight five was abysmal last night and on many occasions in the last four years.

Why they keep selecting guys who have been consistently found wanting over the years (particularly when a forwards guru like Alec Evans claims there are any no. of better front rows playing club rugby) is totally beyond comprehension.

No point in having great backs when they arent given remotely serviceable ball

Good luck to Eng but that was really an incredibly poor standard game and they'll need to find a lot more than a scrum to beat the frogs

vogue

International Vice-Captain
..going to be watching the two games today with interest,even tho Argentina and SA

are certain to win....on what i have seen so far,think Argentina will go thru to the final...

sorry to see NZ get knocked out yesterday ,but France played to win,and i am not sure if

England look good enough to go thru to the finals...

Piper

International Captain
Was watching the game with my NZ mate and he was livid that Carter was playing as he's been carrying an injury and apparently isn't on good form, he also thinks Nick Evans is extremely underrated and deserved to start.
I don't think he should have played to be honest. I know that he is NZ's 'ace' player but they shouldn't have played with any hint of an injury. Nick Evans has proved that he is a really good Number 10 and should have started.. But then he got injured when he came on. I don't think NZ were meant to win :(

It does matter, it just pales in comparison.

England were magnificent in beating Australia I felt, they were the far better side and looked really hungry. I was surprised to see them actually come out and play rugby, they wanted to attack and defended stoutly. Full credit to them for the win, they deserved it.

As expected, IMO atleast, the All Blacks lost. The French team played well, but we played poorly. The refereeing was average, but I'm not going to blame that, as it would make us and the entire country come across as poor losers. If anything should take blame, I feel that the rest and rotation policy is the one in the firing line. I've never been a fan of resting your top players, and entire All Blacks management and setup just assumed that we would win this game, and we'd only have to play our top team for three games in a row. McCaw should stay as captain, but I'm undecided about Henry and co. Some would say they deserve to be sacked, purely because we lost, but that is absolutely bull**** reasoning, IMO.
I agree. New Zealand had one bad game in four years worth. You can't sack someone because one game went bad. I think Henry has been a good coach and I think if NZ had won the World Cup everyone else would have said the same thing.

Despite McAlister being a greedy **** and bombing a try in this game? I've never been a fan of his, Aaron Mauger would have been a far better option at 12.
I think McAlister is a good player but I do think that Aaron Mauger should have played, for his experience if nothing else. I do think that Mauger is underrated as a player. If Carter hadn't come onto the scene, I think that Mauger would still be fly-half.