• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stages

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As expected, IMO atleast, the All Blacks lost. The French team played well, but we played poorly. The refereeing was average, but I'm not going to blame that, as it would make us and the entire country come across as poor losers. If anything should take blame, I feel that the rest and rotation policy is the one in the firing line. I've never been a fan of resting your top players, and entire All Blacks management and setup just assumed that we would win this game, and we'd only have to play our top team for three games in a row. McCaw should stay as captain, but I'm undecided about Henry and co. Some would say they deserve to be sacked, purely because we lost, but that is absolutely bull**** reasoning, IMO.
:thumbs_up :clapping:

I agree with you there, Perm.

On everything but one thing. Henry deserves the boot for making a needless farce out of this year's Super 14 and making sure that the paying New Zealand public didn't get to see their best and most popular players competing in the toughest domestic rugby competition there is.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Was watching the game with my NZ mate and he was livid that Carter was playing as he's been carrying an injury and apparently isn't on good form, he also thinks Nick Evans is extremely underrated and deserved to start.
Carter hasn't been on form for months and months now, and his kicking has gone to pieces. I'd have had McAlister at first five going into the match.

Fair play to France though, they played their kicking game and kept it in the forwards which suited them.

chalky

International Debutant
:thumbs_up :clapping:

I agree with you there, Perm.

On everything but one thing. Henry deserves the boot for making a needless farce out of this year's Super 14 and making sure that the paying New Zealand public didn't get to see their best and most popular players competing in the toughest domestic rugby competition there is.
Didn't the Saffies make a farce out of the Tri Nations? Should their coaching team be sacked also?

Perm

I would disagree there, how could you possibly say they "deserve" to continue?
The only basis for sacking them, IMO, is that they implimented the rest and rotation policy, which was never likely to work. You can't blame them for our teams poor performance at the World Cup, they can't do much more than they did. In the end, the players are professional athletes and they have to take some of the stick themselves.

Feel really bad for Anton Oliver and Byron Kelleher, it happened to them 8 years ago too :(

Loony BoB

International Captain
Urgh, don't know what would be worse. Going to work on Monday in New Zealand with a bunch of people feeling crap like I am, or going to work on Monday in Edinburgh with a bunch of Scots and - more notably - English guys who will love to rub this in my face. Honestly, I'd rather work with French people than them after NZ lose. They take any loss the All Blacks have as a victory for them over me. Wouldn't mind the depressing state of NZ right now, actually, now that I think on it further. Rather a depressed country than my workmates out to rub my face in it. But to be fair, at least it's Saturday here so I have a day to prepare myself and, hopefully, get over it.

Henry shouldn't really get sacked, but he probably will.

Perm

Carter hasn't been on form for months and months now, and his kicking has gone to pieces. I'd have had McAlister at first five going into the match.

Fair play to France though, they played their kicking game and kept it in the forwards which suited them.
Despite McAlister being a greedy **** and bombing a try in this game? I've never been a fan of his, Aaron Mauger would have been a far better option at 12.

HeathDavisSpeed

Didn't the Saffies make a farce out of the Tri Nations? Should their coaching team be sacked also?
I would say that they do. Not a fan of detracting on one competition to the detriment of all others when ticket prices for the fans do not change accordingly.

EDIT: On the other hand, the NZ TAB would have made a **** load of money now that NZ is out, and as a percentage of TAB profits on rugby go directly to NZ Rugby, they'll actually end up quids in!

Last edited:

PY

International Coach

In all fairness, Wilkinson's kicking has gone to pot a bit this WC (and both have levelled the blame at the new ball which is being officially investigated) and I think he has a fair claim to being the best place kicker the game has seen so I'm not sure plonking that one on Carter is all too fair.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Despite McAlister being a greedy **** and bombing a try in this game? I've never been a fan of his, Aaron Mauger would have been a far better option at 12.
Who setup the first try ;) I don't think Mauger would have made a lot of difference. It was the forwards that cost us the game IMO. The backs hardly got any decent ball all game, but as someone else said, Carter shouldn't have played considering he wasn't 100%.

chalky

International Debutant
I would say that they do. Not a fan of detracting on one competition to the detriment of all others when ticket prices for the fans do not change accordingly.
I actually agree I think it goes back to my point that that the World Cup detracts from the rest of test rugby. The fact is though the South African public will think their coaches have done the right thing if they win they win WC (as would the New Zealand public if they had won).

Perm

Who setup the first try ;) I don't think Mauger would have made a lot of difference. It was the forwards that cost us the game IMO. The backs hardly got any decent ball all game, but as someone else said, Carter shouldn't have played considering he wasn't 100%.
He still bombed one though and I stick by my point that he's greedy. As soon as he went through the gap he had the ball tucked under his arm, never any intention of passing it. Oh, Mauger may not have made a difference, but it was more of a general comment than a game specific one.

HeathDavisSpeed

I actually agree I think it goes back to my point that that the World Cup detracts from the rest of test rugby. The fact is though the South African public will think their coaches have done the right thing if they win they win WC (as would the New Zealand public if they had won).
Quite agree. These 'decisions' ONLY look good if you end up winning. If you don't, it gives the media a lot of rope to hang you by.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Well **** me sideways. Didn't see both England and France getting up in a million years.

Perm

Nah, it wasn't a sin-binning offence. A penalty at most, I didn't think McCalister could've made more of an effort to stop, his momentum was going in the direction of the player and he was watching the ball.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
DWTA. Definitely took him out. Not too au fait with union rules so I don't know if it should have been a sin binning offence but as he was binned I assume it should.
Rules are all very woolly... having just spent the best part of a couple of hours sifting through them and trying to learn them (need to referee next Saturday)... 10.5 states that "any player who infringes any part of the Foul Play Law must be admonished, or (my emphasis) cautioned and temporarily suspended, or sent-off."

So you have to tell them they've been naughty.

Johnners

Gah, shocking performance from the Wallabies. Credit to England though, smashed our forwards again and controlled the entire match barring that last 10 minutes of the First Half. Gregan was also rather ordinary, his delivery was on a whole dire.

Great stuff from the French as well, their defence was outstanding! Once again the All Blacks have a massive choke when the games was there to be won. How old is that Evans bloke? It's the first i've seen him play and he looked like he has a bit of talent. Made a few good runs in his short time on the field.