• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick to miss England tours

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Time for England to completely forget about him. I could understand it if he rules himself out for long tours, but ruling himself out of short tours when he travels around for Somerset anyway somewhat kills any sympathy I have.

pskov

International 12th Man
Time for England to completely forget about him. I could understand it if he rules himself out for long tours, but ruling himself out of short tours when he travels around for Somerset anyway somewhat kills any sympathy I have.
As far as I understand, it's not the actual act of travelling away from home, but the stress of being on tour with England for months at a time and being expected to perform for your country etc. Hence stress-related illness.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
As far as I understand, it's not the actual act of travelling away from home, but the stress of being on tour with England for months at a time and being expected to perform for your country etc. Hence stress-related illness.
Indeed. Otherwise all he'd need were a paper bag and problem solved.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It doesn't kill my sympathy. But I agree, England should plan without him. We should stop hearing that 'Trescothick is missing' when talking about the current ODI openers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to Tres. Can't have been an easy decision. Our ODI team will doubtless continue to miss him, but his health must come first.

A real pity that he's been affected like this as he strikes me as one of nature's good guys.

Nishant

International 12th Man
yep..england should no longer continue to make him part of their plans now. Making him part of their plans is followed by him rejecting them....leading to disappointment which can affect the mental balance of the team. Whether im a supporter of england or not does not matter when i say that it is quite awful to see. I remember making a thread abt whether Tresco should be dropped or not...well, i defo believe now that he should be dropped from their plans and england should move on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Strauss can start scoring (or continue scoring, as I think he's passed 50 in the last two tests now), then at least we're not missing him too much in Tests, but damn shame tbh :(

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Hasn't said "I'm never touring again, though", has he?
But he's put himself in the position were he will never be able to go into any form of international cricket ever again without people, most likely not least of all himself, worrying about what state of mind he is in. That will increase the pressure on him, which is the cause of the term "stress-related illness" in the first place. Then he becomes a liability.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
As I said at the beginning of all this, I think he wants to get a full season at Somerset under his belt so he feels confident in his ability. He desperately misses playing for England, as he has always maintained.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Ha, you haven't been around in term time! Am usually up quite late when at Uni; my PB last term was about 4:30am I think.