• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose opening batsmen for all-time ODI XI

Please choose two opening batsmen for the All-time ODI XI

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 47 71.2%
  • Sourav Ganguly

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • Sanath Jayasuriya

• Saeed Anwar

• Mark Waugh

• Matthew Hayden

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Chris Gayle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Desmond Haynes

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Gary Kirsten

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gordon Greenidge

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Herschille Gibbs

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I'd have to agree with Anil here, but in the end you have to look at overall balance of the team and with Gilchrist being the opener/keeper, this leaves alot of room to create the perfetly balanced team.
gilly has done a lot of damage to so many bowlers in the first 15 overs with field restrictions in place. he is the ideal one day opener for me. average above 35. strike rate above 90. lefty, complimenting the right handed sachin at the other end.
nothing will happen to the overall balance of the team with two exceptional openers and gilchrist in the middle, in fact i would argue that it would make such a team an even scarier proposition...and bagapath, i never said gilly hadn't done any damage as an opener, but there are so many other players with similar credentials who are so much more consistent...even if you need to necessarily have a left-right combination which i don't believe is as much of a requirement as the quality and the reliability of the players involved....

Fiery

Banned
Knight's simplistic career record is better than Gilchrist's FFS... this doesn't even remotely resemble the Hussain-Hayden case.

Hussain's record is better than Hayden's if you look beyond the obvious, but with Knight and Gilchrist you don't even need to do that!
Absolute crap post on many levels. The only thing Knight has over Gilchrist is a slightly better average. Gilchrist's SR of 97 compared to Knight's 71 more than makes up for that, not to mention 10 more centuries and nearly 6000 more runs. Take your blinkers off Rich

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I couldn't care less if the strike-rate's a bit higher. The difference in average more than makes-up for that. And I care even less about the difference in runs and centuries, Gilchrist played nearly 3 times the number of matches.

It's the "the more dominant player must be the better" stuff coming-out again - but in fact Knight could and did play every single shot in the Gilchrist locker, too.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Richard is still living in the 1970s. When a score of 180/2 after 60 overs was very acceptable. We are now in the 21st century lad. A score of 300/9 is very good these days.

Pull your barkin' 'ed in there lad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, what? Knight and Gilchrist were exact contemporaries, the 1970s has no relevance to either's careers.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
I'm trying to say that your mindset seems to be that of a 1970s Boycott-type batsman.

Tell me, what is more beneficial for a team (in terms of an opening batsman starting the innings off): 60 off 65 balls (Gilchrist), or 70 off 100 balls (Knight)???

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, and hence, if a bowler can bowl economically, a batsman's strike-rate will be lower.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm trying to say that your mindset seems to be that of a 1970s Boycott-type batsman.
Not really, SRs of those type of batsmen tended to be in the 50s. Anything over 70 is the stapletype for the modern era.
Tell me, what is more beneficial for a team (in terms of an opening batsman starting the innings off): 60 off 65 balls (Gilchrist), or 70 off 100 balls (Knight)???
Err, those offer absolutely no comparison to the situation in question. It's much more like 35 off 40 balls or 70 off 95, and if so I'd take the latter, no question.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Err, those offer absolutely no comparison to the situation in question. It's much more like 35 off 40 balls or 70 off 95, and if so I'd take the latter, no question.
If we're talking from a purely numerical point of view then Nick Knight isn't going to score twice as many runs as Gilchrist, on average.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, of course not. But averages don't work that way. Knight played more large innings than Gilchrist. Gilchrist played more cameos than Knight.

Gilchrist also played one hell of a lot more games, too, and also didn't have to open on seam-friendly wickets especially often.