• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ever sporting come backs

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Many unless you are United fan may not rate this game that highly or remember it. But it was United vs Tottenham @ WHL in 2001 or 2002 not sure & the spurs were 3-0 after 30 minutes or so & United came back to win 5-3. The Red Devils at their best..

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
did anyone mention that legendary outburst in the Ali-Foreman match - 8th round of the Rumble in the Jungle?
premeditated or not, Ali was dominated before coming from the ropes to smash his rival.
i think this qualifies as a comeback.

Fiery

Banned
did anyone mention that legendary outburst in the Ali-Foreman match - 8th round of the Rumble in the Jungle?
premeditated or not, Ali was dominated before coming from the ropes to smash his rival.
That was an amazing performance by Ali...stuck to his game plan, covered his head and took the body blows to tire Foreman out... then...as you say....

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
it certainly was his plan, he admitted so after the fight, and it worked a treat.

still one of the most overrated sportsman of all time by the casual viewer, he is without a shadow of a doubt one of the top 3 heavyweights of all time and an utter legend, but most casual fans are too dismissive of the other greats i.e joe louis.

Fiery

Banned
it certainly was his plan, he admitted so after the fight, and it worked a treat.

still one of the most overrated sportsman of all time by the casual viewer, he is without a shadow of a doubt one of the top 3 heavyweights of all time and an utter legend, but most casual fans are too dismissive of the other greats i.e joe louis.
It was his great personality and humour and things like his stance on the Vietnam War that probably had just as much with the legend of Ali though

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, Ali's legacy isn't just his boxing, there's so much more to it.

Anyone seen the doco Rumble in the Jungle? All about the lead-up to the Ali-Foreman fight. Excellent viewing.

Fiery

Banned

Anyone seen the doco Rumble in the Jungle? All about the lead-up to the Ali-Foreman fight. Excellent viewing.
When We Were Kings? Not sure if that what you meant but that's a great doco

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain

no doubting that, but i was talking about activites in the ring.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
I think The Greatest tag is fair tbh
greatest of his era, no doubt. joe louis and rocky marciano though could easily lay claim to the greatest heavyweight tag, just as ali could, but it's no clear cut deal.

the all time greatest boxer imo though, and many others is sugar ray robinson. the original pound for pound no.1.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
greatest of his era, no doubt. joe louis and rocky marciano though could easily lay claim to the greatest heavyweight tag, just as ali could, but it's no clear cut deal.

the all time greatest boxer imo though, and many others is sugar ray robinson. the original pound for pound no.1.
Agree re ray Robinson. Great fighter.

Styles make fights, though - which is why Frazier gave Ali so much trouble, yet Foreman was a perfect match for Ali, though no one expected him to win how he did.

On the Zaire fight, if anyone gets a chance, read Norman Mailer's book The Fight. Fantastic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
When We Were Kings? Not sure if that what you meant but that's a great doco
Actually yeah that's the one!

I should have known it was called "When we were kings' because the other day I had the song in my head, and to no surprise, the lyrics are "When we were kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings"

I watch it whenever they show it on Foxtel here.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Many unless you are United fan may not rate this game that highly or remember it. But it was United vs Tottenham @ WHL in 2001 or 2002 not sure & the spurs were 3-0 after 30 minutes or so & United came back to win 5-3. The Red Devils at their best..
Always makes me laugh when I hear of that game, Hoddle was the Tottenham manager, just as he had been Southampton manager when they threw a three goal lead away to the Mighty Whites. I think it was 01 mate.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Always makes me laugh when I hear of that game, Hoddle was the Tottenham manager, just as he had been Southampton manager when they threw a three goal lead away to the Mighty Whites. I think it was 01 mate.
Yes, was in 2001, September or October time. We were playing fairly direly at the time, it must be said. Was a fairly impressive comeback, but others > that one.