• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who the 15 kolpak players

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was Googling about looking for eligibility criteria regarding a question Goughy had asked in the Mascarenhas thread & found this (wiki actually) regarding Kolpaks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolpak_ruling

It gives an incomplete list of those currently over here as Kolpaks:

Greg Smith, Derbyshire
Dale Benkenstein, Durham
Grant Flower, Essex
Grant Hodnett, Gloucestershire
Anthony Ireland, Gloucestershire
Sean Ervine, Hampshire
Greg Lamb, Hampshire
Martin van Jaarsveld, Kent
Ryan McLaren, Kent
HD Ackerman, Leicestershire
Claude Henderson, Leicestershire
Charl Pietersen, Northamptonshire
Riki Wessels, Northamptonshire
Lance Klusener, Northamptonshire
Charl Willoughby, Somerset
Murray Goodwin, Sussex
Heath Streak, Warwickshire
Deon Kruis, Yorkshire.
Jacques Rudolph, Yorkshire

19 by my count & it includes Wessels & Ervine. Although wiki not infallible, tbh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was Googling about looking for eligibility criteria regarding a question Goughy had asked in the Mascarenhas thread & found this (wiki actually) regarding Kolpaks:

Greg Smith, Derbyshire
Dale Benkenstein, Durham
Grant Flower, Essex
Sean Ervine, Hampshire
Greg Lamb, Hampshire
Ryan McLaren, Kent
Murray Goodwin, Sussex
Deon Kruis, Yorkshire.

19 by my count & it includes Wessels & Ervine. Although wiki not infallible, tbh.
Didn't know about several of them - indeed a few I've only ever heard of at the start of this season.

brockley

International Captain
Sean ervine has to make up his mind if he's australian or english he is running out of time when the 4 years up is he either going to be one or the other.If he chooses england he won't be playing in australia as he is not good enough for an overseas pro.
He is still dating geoff marsh's daughter 8-) .

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not entirely sure why that deserves a rolleyes, TBH.

(Sorry, I'll stop being Gelman now :ph34r: )

FBU

International Debutant
Can you believe that Leics have signed their 4th Kolpak player. This makes my boil boil. :ranting:

Kruger
Ackerman
Jacobs
Henderson

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would be very interesting to see a full list of players broken down into Kolpaks, Overseas pros and players playing in CC on an ancestral European passport but hail from other parts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I'd bet that Kolpaks, the most recent of the three to become available, would be the largest group, too.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
And I'd bet that Kolpaks, the most recent of the three to become available, would be the largest group, too.
Im just drawing up a list now and you would be wrong :)

The largest group is players born and raised overseas that play on a European passport due to family decent.

EDIT- I should add that those qualified through residency but born and brought up overseas are included in the same list

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Right here goes. This could take some time.

I dont claim this to be a complete list as it is only the players I spotted. I have also left out players that may fit but have played for England like Gallian, Hick, Jones, KP etc and I have also left out Scottish and Irish players.

One or 2 maybe debatable in how long they lived overseas but by far the vast majority were born and schooled in foreign fields and now play on an EU passport.

By my count it is 34 players :blink:

Overseas Born and Raised Players playing for a County on an EU/British Passport
(Kolpaks not included nor Official Overseas players)

Michael Lumb- Yorks-SA
Matt Mason- Worcs- Aus
Stephen Moore- Worcs- Aus
Ant Botha- Der- SA
Garry Ballance- Der- Zim
Callum Thorpe- Dur- Aus
Paul Wiseman- Dur- NZ
Mitchell Claydon -Dur-Aus
Gareth Breese- Dur- WI
Ray Price- Wor- Zim
Ottis Gibson- Dur- WI
Craig Spearman- Gloucs- NZ
Kevin Latouf- Hamts- SA
Nic Pothas- Hants- SA
Ryan ten Doeschate- Essex- Neth
Stuart Law- Lancs- Aus
Paul Horton- Lancs- Aus
Amjad Khan- Kent- Den
Jim Allenby- Leics- Aus
Marc Rosenberg- Leics- SA
Nick Compton- Midd- SA
Chad Keegan- Midd- SA
Ben Hutton- Midd- SA
Andrew Crook- North- Aus
Steven Crook- North- Aus
Craig Kieswetter- Som- SA
Jade Dernbach- Sur- SA
Christopher Jordan- Sur- WI
Stewart Walters- Sur- Aus
Neil Carter- War- SA
Tim Groenewald- War- SA
Jonathon Trott- War- SA
Alexei Kervezee- Wor- Neth
Neil Dexter- Kent- SA (though maybe a Kolpak)

Its a big list. :)

EDITED- to give the list a title

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And the thing that alarms me about it - and you haven't even listed the Kolpaks here, though that might have been done in completeness earlier, can't remember and CBA to look down - lazy I know - is that only a tiny number of those I would say are players who genuinely raise the standard. Mason, Price, Spearman, Pothas, Law (though he was once an overseas-player, as with the Flowers) and Trott. Though Dexter and Kieswetter look like they might do in the near future.

The rest, IMO, qualify as "needless waste of money".

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
And the thing that alarms me about it - and you haven't even listed the Kolpaks here, though that might have been done in completeness earlier, can't remember and CBA to look down - lazy I know - is that only a tiny number of those I would say are players who genuinely raise the standard. Mason, Price, Spearman, Pothas, Law (though he was once an overseas-player, as with the Flowers) and Trott. Though Dexter and Kieswetter look like they might do in the near future.

The rest, IMO, qualify as "needless waste of money".
The Kolpaks were listed here

Greg Smith, Derbyshire
Dale Benkenstein, Durham
Grant Flower, Essex
Sean Ervine, Hampshire
Greg Lamb, Hampshire
Ryan McLaren, Kent
Murray Goodwin, Sussex
Deon Kruis, Yorkshire.

With Kruger and Arno Jacobs added at Leics since then.

So these rough lists give us 21 Kolpaks and 34 overseas raised players but European classed. If you add in the Overseas pros you are talking approx more overseas players in CC than total players in all the SA Franchise teams put together.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And one hell of a lot of those overseas-players would come under the "pointless waste of money" slogan too IMO. Especially those middling pros like Steven Magoffin who're brought in for 3 weeks.

Anyway - as I've said countless times, I'd be quite happy to see the overseas-player slot abolished entirely for the duration of the Kolpak and EU-passport qualification. How long it'll last, we still don't know.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There's also Ambrose @ Warwicks. Born in NSW & holds a UK passport from courtesy of parentage I think.
adds another to the list :)

Of all the guys I listed this guy sounds interesting. Id never heard of him but cricinfo seems to rate him, especially as he has never played a senior game. :dry:

Christopher Jordan

http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/288992.html

Cricinfo ( Jenny Thompson ) said:
Now then, here's a prospect. Chris Jordan's allround ability is such that after just five minutes Surrey second XI coach Nadeem Shahid rang Alan Butcher with excitement. Five days later Jordan was at first team nets. He impressed there and he continues to impress. Jordan's talent first came to light in his native Barbados, where he was spotted by Bill Athey, who was scouting for a recipient of a cricket scholarship back in England, at Dulwich College. He wants to play for England and the good news is that he's eligible; his English grandmother lives in Hertfordshire. If this top-five batter, who plays straight and correctly and already bowls in the late 80s, can keep improving, his wish may be fulfilled.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sounds good, dunnit. Let's hope things keep going when he gets into the Surry first-team.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds good, dunnit. Let's hope things keep going when he gets into the Surry first-team.
Having never seen the guy play or know nothing about him this may be a little harsh.

However, that cricinfo write up sounds like it is over egging the pudding.

The guy is already 19 and a bit. If he really was a quality top order batsman and can also bowl close to 90mph dont you think he would have got a chance by now or at least a bit more pub than he has?