• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2007 NRL Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How did Mathers go?
He was solid, but didn't get too many opportunities. Matt Rodgers was all over it for the Coast.

From what I saw, Mathers didn't do anything wrong, just didn't get too many chances. The conditions were not helpful for a fullback.

Not the worst NRL debut by any means.

McEvil!!

Banned
Tips for Round 9

My tips this week

Sharks vs. Broncos

Sea Eagles vs. Eels

Knights vs. Warriors

Rabbitohs vs. Raiders

Cowboys vs. Panthers

Roosters vs. Titans

Tigers vs. Dragons

Storm vs. Bulldogs

Johnners

Was watching the Warriors/Sharks game today, Logan Swann is the worst tackler. Hits so many blokes high.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FWIW:

Sharks
Sea Eagles
Knights
Rabbitohs
Cowboys
Titans
Tigers
Storm

I'm currently 3187th out of 50,127 on NRL.com. 38 for the season.

howardj

International Coach
Origin team picked on Tuesday. The Newspaper is up here is speculating that Qld will pick some bolters, like Costigan and Reynoldson etc. For mine, we actually won a Series last year FFS. And, in my view, our 2006 team is a team on the rise. So, there's no need to pick bolters. Stick to guys who proved last year they can actually hack it. And please no Slater or Bowen off the bench.

My little squad:

1. Hunt
2. Inglis
3. Hodges
4. Bell
5. Tate
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston

8. Civoniceva
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Crocker
12. Thaiday
13. Johnson

14. Webb
15. Kaufusi
16. Myles
17. Berrigan

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Surely you would pick players in form over Myles, Webb and Thaiday. Im sure one, maybe two would play as impact players, but there has to be a couple QLD backrowers/bench forwards in better form. Also Bell doesn't have much chance of getting infront of Slater, he should get infront of Tate though. Don't see him playing in the 1st match, which is good for NSW.

Mister Wright

I found this article on r.league.com

It is a reader submitted article that deals with player poaching. I think this person brings up some very valid points, and an interesting way to handle player poaching.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The problem i see is that a lot of youngsters get poached at junior level. Take Travis Burns for example, he played for the Sharks at Jersey Flegg level and then came to Manly and played Premier League and then First Grade. Under a system like that would he classified as Manly junior or Sharks, or neither.

I reckon they should at salary cap exceptions, but it should be for long term service to a club like in AFL. Most young Rugby League juniors these days play for couple sides after they are 16, till they play 1st grade.

howardj

International Coach
Surely you would pick players in form over Myles, Webb and Thaiday. Im sure one, maybe two would play as impact players, but there has to be a couple QLD backrowers/bench forwards in better form. Also Bell doesn't have much chance of getting infront of Slater, he should get infront of Tate though. Don't see him playing in the 1st match, which is good for NSW.
No mate. For mine, form is sooo over-rated when it comes to Origin selections. Only certain players are up to Origin level. For instance, NSW built a dynasty in the early 1990's by choosing from the same limited pool of players each year. Why? Because, regardless of form, some guys aim up in Origin, while others are simply not up to the task. I don't think your current club form changes that fact.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The problem i see is that a lot of youngsters get poached at junior level. Take Travis Burns for example, he played for the Sharks at Jersey Flegg level and then came to Manly and played Premier League and then First Grade. Under a system like that would he classified as Manly junior or Sharks, or neither.

I reckon they should at salary cap exceptions, but it should be for long term service to a club like in AFL. Most young Rugby League juniors these days play for couple sides after they are 16, till they play 1st grade.
Yeah, the Veterans list is one of the best innovations that the AFL has come up with in recent times.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I found this article on r.league.com

It is a reader submitted article that deals with player poaching. I think this person brings up some very valid points, and an interesting way to handle player poaching.

I can't see how poaching works. Do players at junior level not make a commitment to the club they're playing for?