• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The REAL allrounders Poll

The real best allrounder

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well DUH !
Does it take a rocket scientist to figure out that most 1st gen. immigrants are not typical 'natives' of either land - the land of their origin or adoption but somewhere in between ?
Do you really think that a 1st Gen. Chinese immigrant who comes over to America in his/her teens think like typical Americans or typical Chinese poeple ?!?
Err, no?

Why on Earth would I?
You were born in a far more affluent and priviledged position than i was then. We didn't have a TV in our house till i was 5 years old.
When your folks rely on the radio,you tend to hear the matches involving your team a lot more often !
Your experience does not encapsulate mine
Evidently so...
You are, sadly mistaken and i understand your perspective now.
If you think your country has completely moved on, try talking to immigrants in your country and you will find that your country still has a very long way to go for it to've 'completely moved on from the impunities of the past'.
How laughably naive of you to assume that institutions and ways of thinking that've dominated your country for hundreds of years will just vanish inside of a generation or two.
I've lived in your country and i didn't mind it. But i can categorically say that your 'completely moved-on' spiel is just fanciful thinking from your part.
Where on Earth did I say our country as a whole? I was absolutely certain that'd be your response - Britain is still a massively racist country, etc. etc. Yea, I'm perfectly well aware of that, but my society, the relatively well-off middle-classes, and the fine upstanding families such as mine, have, completely moved-on from racism and I can fairly say it's something I've not once experienced in my own "prism", in over 21 years.
Right !
How you perceive a person has nothing whatsoever to do with you. Is your first name Jesus and last name Christ ?!?

Maybe what you mistake for racism is conflict of viewpoints from my part and your's : You are the typical westerner who sees western civilization as the pinnacle of human civilization while i see it as something that has a long way to go to match some non-western civilizations and its a very young civilization. I don't see it as an inferior one- but merely in the sense of what a child would compare to with the parent in terms of western civilization vs some non western civilization comparisons.
You perceive this as racism from my part, as i said, because the problem lies solely with you and the cultural background you've grown up in. And you are not alone in that.
I see Western civilisation as nothing of the sort.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Seriously C_C, I can't be the only one who has had enough of you constantly trying to take a moral high-ground over everybody, and thinking your word is law on EVERY ******* TOPIC you discuss. I don't want to put you on ignore, because you do make interesting posts here and there, but give over and get over yourself, it's annoying.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Either your memory is playing tricks on you or you must think its great courageous display to get utterly owned and smacked around like a doll in front of a annoyed tiger but to me that is the very definition of humiliation.
You could see fear in Close's eyes and every time Holding came down the pitch, Closey averted his eyes. Holding owned him that day and if it were me, i'd have quit after that game.
But anyways, very cogent and well thought out response as usual from you.
8-)
Woosie

You pretty much defeated your own argument to.... if Close was so utterily humiliated as you suggest, he would've packed it in. Fact remains that he didn't, instead he stood defiant and took it like a man. Holdings tactics were nothing short of disgraceful, and if anyone were humiliated, it could be strongly argued that it were he. Why? because as hard as he tried to crack Close, he obviously couldn't/didn't, and in effect lost the battle.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Seriously C_C, I can't be the only one who has had enough of you constantly trying to take a moral high-ground over everybody, and thinking your word is law on EVERY ******* TOPIC you discuss. I don't want to put you on ignore, because you do make interesting posts here and there, but give over and get over yourself, it's annoying.
GeraintIsMyHeroIsMyHero

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Sean Fuller said:
...I tried to type a reply to a C_C post today - sat there for a sec and looked at what I'd typed and just closed the window.

Just had the same experience tbh.

Had to re-open the window to type this, obviously...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, with most people you just get the post being there for a few seconds and then an EDIT appearing instead. :p

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha, with most people you just get the post being there for a few seconds and then an EDIT appearing instead. :p
Yeah. I've seen him post one line replies, come back the next day and see it's been edited to nearly a page worth.

Has some interesting things to say but doesn't realise the way he tries to get somethings across are downright condescending and blatantly untrue.

Most of his opinions though are simply East>West, which gets extremely old extremely quickly. Especially when he's not prepared to concede a point.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Either your memory is playing tricks on you or you must think its great courageous display to get utterly owned and smacked around like a doll in front of a annoyed tiger but to me that is the very definition of humiliation.
You could see fear in Close's eyes and every time Holding came down the pitch, Closey averted his eyes. Holding owned him that day and if it were me, i'd have quit after that game.
But anyways, very cogent and well thought out response as usual from you.
8-)

Of course it takes great courage to attempt to battle it out when under pressure. I've no doubt you would have thrown your wicket away and quit. That's why Closey was a professional sportsman and you're a loser.:cool:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Of course it takes great courage to attempt to battle it out when under pressure. I've no doubt you would have thrown your wicket away and quit. That's why Closey was a professional sportsman and you're a loser.:cool:
A very mature response indeed. ;)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Clarification - I dont expect a mature post from a cricket illiterate who starts a thread/poll on real allrounders and leaves Allrounders like Hadlee and Kapil out of the poll.

What next - start a thread on real fast bowlers and exclude Amby and Marshall out of it and instead include Frank Tyson and Soaib Akhtar ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Frank Tyson's record is the 2nd-best in 20th-century Tests after SF Barnes taking some sort of qualification.

C_C

International Captain
Its pretty hard to even 'throw' your wicket away when you cant connect with the ball because you'r too slow.

As per throwing my wicket away : I wouldn't be egotistic and dumb enough to face down a tyro alltime great fast bowler at his pomp while i am a 45 year old who was at best a mediocre batsman(even in his peak) in the first place !! Hell, i wouldn't be dumb enough to face a raging holding at 45 years of age even if i once had the skills of Tendulkar, nevermind an extremely ordinary player like Close.

It takes far more courage to say 'err sorry Alec, i aint good enough anymore, i am a mid 40s guy, i pass'.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Clarification - I dont expect a mature post from a cricket illiterate who starts a thread/poll on real allrounders and leaves Allrounders like Hadlee and Kapil out of the poll.
Does anyone actually rate Kapil or Hadlee as the greatest all-rounder of all-time?