• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
why is ball technology a problem?
It allows players to hit the ball further and straighter thereby taking a lot of the skill out of the game and making many great courses redundant due to lack of length/hazards being in wrong positions

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Technology in general does that. It's been a problem for a long time. The R&A and USGA can change the rules but within any rules they go to the golf companies will pour money into how to stretch those rules and thereby have an advantage over others and the course. There are many problems in golf, but it's still a fun game 'cause you can get pissed and have fun, like B grade cricket.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Stenson's second shot on the 18th was absolutely ridiculous. One of the finest golf shots I've seen, what a way to end not only Stenson's week, but the Race to Dubai. He's had one hell of a year. Poulter's tee shot on the 17th was pretty tidy too, wasn't too far from taking home that BMW 6 series.

social

Are scoring averages significantly lower than they were 10 years ago?
Not sure.

Main argument against the current ball technology is that it provides a massive boost to lesser ball strikers and that has allegedly enabled some guys to compete against others of otherwise far greater ability

Last edited:

social

Technology in general does that. It's been a problem for a long time. The R&A and USGA can change the rules but within any rules they go to the golf companies will pour money into how to stretch those rules and thereby have an advantage over others and the course. There are many problems in golf, but it's still a fun game 'cause you can get pissed and have fun, like B grade cricket.
Wayne Grady told an interesting story whilst commentating on the Oz PGA the other day

A couple of years ago he attended a meeting of the R & A where Nicklaus and Player argued that ball technology needs to be wound back.

The R & A dismissed them as retirees whose opinions were largely irrelevant

Shortly thereafter, the R & A approved course changes to St. Andrews that were deemed necessary to protect the old girl from being slaughtered by players armed with new technology :wacko:

The Battlers Prince

Are scoring averages significantly lower than they were 10 years ago?
Not for about 30 years, which was about the time that Faldo. Norman and Ballesteros were starting to use metal woods not the Persimmons. The courses have since been tricked up (longer holes, longer rough, and faster greens typically) and so protecting the courses from genuine golf. Of course with everything professionalism seems to increase aswell but when Greg Norman in particular was setting scoring records everywhere the administrators were getting nervous that the game would not be seen the right way or something and so took these measures for the betterment of the game and keep the fans interested (as though we wouldn't enjoy seeing birdiefests). Summing up, courses are being protected so that scoring averages don't get too low.

Wayne Grady told an interesting story whilst commentating on the Oz PGA the other day

A couple of years ago he attended a meeting of the R & A where Nicklaus and Player argued that ball technology needs to be wound back.

The R & A dismissed them as retirees whose opinions were largely irrelevant

Shortly thereafter, the R & A approved course changes to St. Andrews that were deemed necessary to protect the old girl from being slaughtered by players armed with new technology :wacko:
Sounds about right, Grady probably won't commentatetoo long if he keeps telling the truth I would have thought, not keepin to the party line etc.

The Battlers Prince

just flicked to the golf for 2 minutes, Graeme McDowell hits an eagle on a par 4. Beautiful shot.
Apparently Adam Scott had a 9 on the 12th ffs

social

Brilliant putting performance from Rory to win Oz Open whilst Scott was polar opposite

Latter would've been so far out of sight if he was any better than ordinary with the flat stick that it wasn't funny

The Battlers Prince

Brilliant putting performance from Rory to win Oz Open whilst Scott was polar opposite

Latter would've been so far out of sight if he was any better than ordinary with the flat stick that it wasn't funny
4th week in a row I'm guessing he was getting tired. I'm a Rory fan as well as Scotty so I didn't mind. Heartbreaker for him tho.

Son Of Coco

Had to listen to this on the radio on the way home to catch the ending and who is doing the commentating!? ****ing Jim Maxwell. Knows even less about golf than he does cricket. Was excruciating, but had to hear who won. I fear I may never wash that voice out of my ears...at least I know who paved the way for all the clueless ****wits masquerading as 'sports commentators' these days though - good ole Jimmy boy.

The Battlers Prince

Haha yeah I was in the same boat had to listen to it in the car. I could barely here him he was whispering so softly. He said he was in amongst the gallery ffs. Could abc not get a media pass? Though having met Sandy Roberts a few times I can barely stand his voice too, so I was happy to not have the tv on.
On a happier note, last year when Scotty lost the Open he rebounded and won the Masters. I'm predicting him to do the same or better and win the US or British Opens this time as well (although it's a different open, he lost it the same way).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

yeah scott threw this away...must have been a great relief for rory to finally win one...now let's see how follows it up at the sherwood country club...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Straight-forward pars at the last then:wacko:
yeah it was a weird but spectacular finish at sherwood...tiger putted horribly on sunday, he had many chances on the green to put this out of zach's reach but couldn't and then paid the price on 18th...that approach to the 18th in the playoff from the middle of the fairway was just weird...kudos to johnson for hanging in there and closing strong but tiger threw this one away...

The Battlers Prince

Lydia Ko to be bigger than any golfer in terms of marketability. Woods' marketing charm is going to possibly never recover to where it was. Adam Scott and Rory McIlroy Might be around for a while. But Lydia Ko is showing real talent.
Definitely watching this space