• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it's been in that range forever...and no the answer isn't a 54 hole no-cut "entertainment" show...
lol

You sound like every person who predicted that professionalism, pyjama cricket & t20s would be the death of cricket

Fact is that there’s a massive market being ignored by tradionalists and there’s more than enough room for LIV or whatever comes next

Molehill

International Captain
lol

You sound like every person who predicted that professionalism, pyjama cricket & t20s would be the death of cricket

Fact is that there’s a massive market being ignored by tradionalists and there’s more than enough room for LIV or whatever comes next
Stuff like this does exist. Adelaide was essentially Phoenix Lite, they've been doing that for years.....and on a fantastic golf course too.

The average age of the PGA Tour viewer is well under 64, the highest interest group is actually the 35-45 range. I suspect because that's when a lot of people (like myself) take up golf having 'retired' from other sports.

I totally agree that there should be more options away from the traditionally great tournaments that don't need gimmicks to make them a wonderful watch, but a 54 hole shotgun funded by a tyrannical regime, led by an arrogant ****, is not one I can get behind.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
lol

i am not predicting the death of liv golf...?? where did i say that? just saying i can't take the format/concept seriously...and that i utterly despise their leadership...i still hate t-20, don't follow it at all but have no difficulty accepting that it has been very successful and is not going away as a form of crick...?...et...

social

Watching the Italian Open and field is rubbish

World golf needs to sort itself out as the DP World Tour is hot garbage right now

Molehill

International Captain
Watching the Italian Open and field is rubbish

World golf needs to sort itself out as the DP World Tour is hot garbage right now
It would've been rubbish with or without LIV and the same guy would almost certainly have won. The problem is, Meronk and Hojgard will almost certainly be on the PGA Tour next year (Hojgaard already has temporary status this year) so it will only get worse. It also seems that there are no young UK golfers of talent coming through at the moment, not quite sure why that is.

Meanwhile, it should be noted that in a hot field at Quail Hollow, Hatton and Fleetwood were 3rd and 5th.

Molehill

International Captain
Jason Day - Can only win when he's got Vertigo and his wife is pregnant. Fortunately, he's in the perfect zone at the mo (although not sure there's ever a time when Mrs Day isn't pregnant).

Not sure if you'd say Scott is in form or not, he's just doing what he normally does. Striking it nicely and missing putts so he finished Top 15 or so.

I'd have had no idea what's happening on LIV if you hadn't mentioned.

PGA this week, if Scheffler's putter turns up then I suspect he'll be very tough to beat. McIlroy's a member at the course though, but just can't see him winning.

Molehill

International Captain
Happy for Day! Who are your PGA championship favorites? Other than Scheffler I mean?
The trends (and this course) suggest you want a big hitting American under the age of 30 with some decent form coming in. There are two (apart from Scheffler) who tick that nicely, Cam Young and Sam Burns. At longer prices and also ticking boxes are Theegala and Wyndham Clark.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
don't know about the chances for the latter two (would like to see theegala in the mix on sunday though) but young and burns are definitely in contention going in...

Molehill

International Captain
A lot of stuff coming out about the length of the course and that the rough is quite thick too. It'll play more like a US Open. Fitzpatrick had to hit a 3 wood into the par 3 3rd in practice (230 yds into wind).

I'd probably throw in Koepka now too (I still don't think a LIV player can win, but this course set up should absolutely play to his strengths).

Molehill

International Captain
LIV golf is hardly a joke & I would put money on a few of their players before say Rory
It's not a joke at all. But when you've already been paid, I'm not sure the level of competitiveness is really there down the stretch (especially when they're all playing different holes). It was noticeable how Koepka tailed off at the Masters when Rahm properly applied the pressure.

Molehill

International Captain
Well that was seemingly the easiest this course was going to play with the wind due to get up over the next 3 days. Many big names are already out of it. Consistent ball striking is going to be key and to be honest I could see Scheffler winning this by a few unless DJ can hang on. DeChambeau is a notoriously poor wind player so despite the fact he's clearly getting back to somewhere near his best, I doubt he'll hang on. Adam Scott looks a decent e/w play, this course is negating poor putting and he drove the ball superbly yesterday.

Finau and Schauffele made excellent comebacks from horror starts and might just come back into it too.

Son Of Coco

Well that was seemingly the easiest this course was going to play with the wind due to get up over the next 3 days. Many big names are already out of it. Consistent ball striking is going to be key and to be honest I could see Scheffler winning this by a few unless DJ can hang on. DeChambeau is a notoriously poor wind player so despite the fact he's clearly getting back to somewhere near his best, I doubt he'll hang on. Adam Scott looks a decent e/w play, this course is negating poor putting and he drove the ball superbly yesterday.

Finau and Schauffele made excellent comebacks from horror starts and might just come back into it too.
I hope DeChambeau has 1000 each day from here on in. The epitome of an American ****wit.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I think the Masters was the first major he lost with a 54 hole lead…as arrogant as he comes across and I understand you don’t like him, it’s a fact that he plays spectacularly well in majors and has won two Wanamakers already…?