• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It's interesting to compare him with Rory

The latter's swing is so much better but as always, it's not a case of how but how many

Anyway, I think I've mentioned previously that Spieth putting is other-worldly but his general game is good but not great

As such, it is hard to believe that he will have an extended stay at the top unless there are substantial improvements in other areas because putting is the first thing to go
he is also great with his irons and around the green...so it's not just putting...and it's not as if he is the worst or shortest off the tee...i think that will be enough to keep him around the top for many more years...those strengths start degrading maybe in your late thirties or early forties and the guy is only 22...rory is just not that good in the wind or on fast greens...he will have to improve in those areas to win more majors (other than maybe the pga championship)...he can't always hope to get a drenched congressional or kiawah or a soft hoylake..

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
It's interesting to see these young pros play in tough conditions. They are so used to playing target golf today (no wind, no run) that they struggle more than old timers do. The older guys used to and still do think their way around a course and it shows when conditions are tougher the types of skills different generations have.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's interesting to see these young pros play in tough conditions. They are so used to playing target golf today (no wind, no run) that they struggle more than old timers do. The older guys used to and still do think their way around a course and it shows when conditions are tougher the types of skills different generations have.
Nope

Today's golfers are infinitely better with far greater competition

Don't want to spoil the party but I have no doubt that Langer is anchoring from time to time (as he has done for about 25 years btw) and this is basically a putting competition

He wouldn't have a prayer on a weekly basis

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's interesting to compare him with Rory

The latter's swing is so much better but as always, it's not a case of how but how many

Anyway, I think I've mentioned previously that Spieth putting is other-worldly but his general game is good but not great

As such, it is hard to believe that he will have an extended stay at the top unless there are substantial improvements in other areas because putting is the first thing to go
He putts like Justin Leonard used to when he was on a hot streak but does it nearly all the time which is scary. His holing out for pars was phenomenal yesterday, whether that is going to remain the same today could be the difference between winning and losing for him.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Sorry Social I think you've misunderstood me. I mean a 58 year old shouldn't get as close as he has to them, and the the reason imo he is so close is his better golfing knowledge and course management in tough conditions.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Except one older guy, most of the older guys have struggled. Most of the guys on the leaderboard are young. This is one of the youngest leaderboards ever. Usually you find more players in their late 30s+ in there say.

grecian

Pfft, not sure how Social can whinge on about anchoring putters, when the youngsters have all the advances of modern technology which means it's less about ball-striking and more about weights nowadays, of course it's going to become a young mans game. It's why genuinely my favourite player is Lydia Ko nowadays, someone that doesn't just smash the course into oblivion.

Anyone that's hit a modern golf club and an old-fashioned blade or persimmon wood will know how relatively easy the game has become. Same with modern bats, down with this sort of thing.

grecian

Spieth bringing it now it has to be said, amazing hole-in-one from Louis though, never seen anything like that.

social

FMD his putting is just ridiculous

Whilst everybody else is tentative (and generally missing), he just steps up and whacks it in from everywhere

grecian

Stop the coronation, lead is one, would be great if on the 20th anniversary of Faldo's greatest moment another Englishman could grind down a runaway leader.

Wow chokety-choke in the water.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
well spieth stumbling big time, bogeys on 10 and 11 and in the water on 12...willett has more or less caught up, wow!