• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

EmJo

Banned
Interesting to note Chris Sutton watched Towns game against Fulham thinking it was a Tuesday even though Mark Chapman kept reminding him it was Monday.

EmJo

Banned
What's the consensus on the European Super League idea? Apparently it'd have a number of permanent members and a number of "guests". I don't like the idea of permanent members and that they include Arsenal but not Ajax. No disrespect to Arsenal, but if permanent membership was on the basis of football then Ajax with their four European Cups would surely be ahead of Arsenal. Also bare in mind that AC Milan would be a permanent member, which would imply deference for their history given their lack of recent success. The elephant in the room here is the finance which could be generated by a team like Arsenal with their millions of fans. But then, surely that would go against footballing meritocracy which such a league should be about.
It will happen as money talks. The fat cats get fatter and stuff the rest.
The current setup to the Champions League is the compromise to the debate on a European super league.

EmJo

Banned
What's the consensus on the European Super League idea? Apparently it'd have a number of permanent members and a number of "guests". I don't like the idea of permanent members and that they include Arsenal but not Ajax. No disrespect to Arsenal, but if permanent membership was on the basis of football then Ajax with their four European Cups would surely be ahead of Arsenal. Also bare in mind that AC Milan would be a permanent member, which would imply deference for their history given their lack of recent success. The elephant in the room here is the finance which could be generated by a team like Arsenal with their millions of fans. But then, surely that would go against footballing meritocracy which such a league should be about.
It will happen as money talks. The fat cats get fatter and stuff the rest.
Yep, that was the whole point of the Champions League in the first place.
As a compromise to a breakaway European Super league. The current Premier League is the same as it allows Teams to be promoted and relegated the initial concept negated this notion.

Spark

Global Moderator
So the substantive content of these Spiegel articles is pretty shady, but **** me have they drawn it out and milked it for all its worth.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Well at least United are showing the gumption of a good Mourinho side. Not much else to celebrate.

EmJo

Banned
Well at least United are showing the gumption of a good Mourinho side. Not much else to celebrate.
Not really, I feel Juventus made key mistakes in the last ten minutes and should have won. The game against Bournemouth I'll admit they showed great depth but then scrapping wins is part of a winning spree.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They basically drag every team down to their level and make it a scrappy game, doesn't matter if they're playing Barcelona or Burnley.

The players don't yet seem to have given up on Mourinho, but I don't see a long term future for him there.

EmJo

Banned
They basically drag every team down to their level and make it a scrappy game, doesn't matter if they're playing Barcelona or Burnley.

The players don't yet seem to have given up on Mourinho, but I don't see a long term future for him there.
Mourinho has just lost his edge. maybe a matter of time his mojo returns but feel united are not far off being a decent side.

flibbertyjibber

is it a coincidence the upturn in results has come with Lukaku out of the side? Scores goals but has the touch of a baby elephant and brings very little else to any team he plays in as his link up play is rubbish.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Uli Hoeness getting beer sprayed on him after Dortmund's winner today will be a moment hard to top this season.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
is it a coincidence the upturn in results has come with Lukaku out of the side? Scores goals but has the touch of a baby elephant and brings very little else to any team he plays in as his link up play is rubbish.
May well be true, but I'd still take him at Palace in a heartbeat. Admittedly being better than Benteke and Ayew isn't setting a particularly high bar, but Hodgson's failure to sigh a remotely decent forward over the summer is going to see us relegated.

Uppercut

Uli Hoeness getting beer sprayed on him after Dortmund's winner today will be a moment hard to top this season.
Great game and so good to see Dortmund playing like that again. Especially loved the second Reus goal, reminded me of Rooney vs Arsenal.

flibbertyjibber

May well be true, but I'd still take him at Palace in a heartbeat. Admittedly being better than Benteke and Ayew isn't setting a particularly high bar, but Hodgson's failure to sigh a remotely decent forward over the summer is going to see us relegated.
Benteke was brilliant at Villa till the injury and like Yakubu is half the player after it.