• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe. I honestly believe the lineup Arsenal played in the NLD was better than theirs. Says a lot about what they've done that people expected Spurs to rock up there with Sissoko in midfield, a 21 year old at CB and Trippier and Davies as wingbacks and win easily.
Yeah possibly, although Alderweireld coming back in would tilt it back to Spurs for me. There's not much in it.

Uppercut

I mean we can get very subjective here, but we did beat Pep's Barca and Bayern at the Emirates.
Yeah I mean I wouldn't want to go down the route of digging through Arsenal's best games of the past ten years to find something that might compare. My point was just that taking 10 points from four games against Real Madrid and Dortmund is indicative of a team with a very, very high ceiling.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I mean I wouldn't want to go down the route of digging through Arsenal's best games of the past ten years to find something that might compare. My point was just that taking 10 points from four games against Real Madrid and Dortmund is indicative of a team with a very, very high ceiling.
Said team did just get comprehensively outplayed by Arsenal though :ph34r:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also having to fight urges to talk about the ridiculousness of Ronaldo and Benzema drawing blanks across those two games (and so many this season) but yeah their CL record this season is fantastic.

Actually remind me a lot of Dortmund 10-13. A good league season followed by an even better season but also a group stage exit in the CL, then followed up by topping a group of death in the CL, but maybe regressing a bit in the league as well. We'll have to wait and see whether the same exodus follows and whether Poch will still be there in three years.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What makes this even more hilarious is the fact that they went on to lose the match. Serves him right, insufferable smug bastard.

Up there with David Moyes as one of these people who has inexplicably managed to carve out a reputation as being a nice man, despite the fact that he's an utter prick.

Uppercut

Has he? The only reputation I know of is the one for (allegedly etc) sleeping with his players’ wives.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Has he? The only reputation I know of is the one for (allegedly etc) sleeping with his players’ wives.
Haha maybe I have imagined it, but I swear he's always made out to be this decent, reasonable, down to earth, salt of the earth type bloke.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What makes this even more hilarious is the fact that they went on to lose the match. Serves him right, insufferable smug bastard.

Up there with David Moyes as one of these people who has inexplicably managed to carve out a reputation as being a nice man, despite the fact that he's an utter prick.
It's equally baffling that he's carved out a career as a football manager, despite years of achieving precisely **** all.

Niall

International Coach
Pardew's finest moment!

I've said some stupid ****e in the heat of the moment at times, but genuinely think this was planned which makes it even sillier. Was banned by the BBC iirc.

vcs

And Allardyce at Everton apparently.

I don't follow other leagues much but do the lower-league/relegation threatened clubs in Spain/Germany/Italy also keep cycling between the same 5-6 guys every few years? How are young British coaches supposed to break into this carousel? It seems Moyes, Pardew, Hodgson, Pulis and Allardyce will never run out of PL club owners who are ready to hire them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pardew's finest moment!

I've said some stupid ****e in the heat of the moment at times, but genuinely think this was planned which makes it even sillier. Was banned by the BBC iirc.

Haha holy ****. I either never knew about this or blanked it from my memory. Either way it's absolutely dire.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

I don't follow other leagues much but do the lower-league/relegation threatened clubs in Spain/Germany/Italy also keep cycling between the same 5-6 guys every few years? How are young British coaches supposed to break into this carousel? It seems Moyes, Pardew, Hodgson, Pulis and Allardyce will never run out of PL club owners who are ready to hire them.
By being good and showing said goodness over time. People harp on about the foreign coaches tekkin' all the jerbs, but it's not like the majority of them just magically fell into managing a big club without paying their dues and establishing their credentials elsewhere, and those that did for the most part end up being really ****ing good anyway (e.g. Pep).

The problem with English managers is that so many ex players just turn out to be total crap as coaches (e.g. Merson, Adams etc.), or just do not have the tactical nous to compete at the elite level (e.g. Keegan, Hodgson, Warnock, Curbishley etc.), or just play utterly turgid football (e.g. Pulis, Allardyce etc.), or are just genuinely complete crap (e.g. Iain Dowie, Les Reed etc.), or they are just a bit/averagely crap (e.g. Brent).

Edit: Although Brent isn't technically English tbf. Nor Dowie.

Last edited:

Uppercut

By being good and showing said goodness over time. People harp on about the foreign coaches tekkin' all the jerbs, but it's not like the majority of them just magically fell into managing a big club without paying their dues and establishing their credentials elsewhere, and those that did for the most part end up being really ****ing good anyway (e.g. Pep).

The problem with English managers is that so many ex players just turn out to be total crap as coaches (e.g. Merson, Adams etc.), or just do not have the tactical nous to compete at the elite level (e.g. Keegan, Hodgson, Warnock, Curbishley etc.), or just play utterly turgid football (e.g. Pulis, Allardyce etc.), or are just genuinely complete crap (e.g. Iain Dowie, Les Reed etc.), or they are just a bit/averagely crap (e.g. Brent).
It's a bit weird that Eddie Howe hasn't got more job offers, having achieved promotion then sustained mid-table finishes playing good football at a tiny club. When they got promoted everyone thought they were nailed-on relegation fodder. He doesn't even seem to get a lot of hype, you'd expect the media to be all over an English manager performing at that level.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

I'd argue that in Dyche and Howe there's 2 who've broken in in recent times.