• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loving Novak's fathers shirt. There are some seriously kooky tennis parents out there..

Match point to custard nuts..

And he wins it. Well played to him.. Now for de snooze-fest tomorrow with Nadal.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ouch, another missed final for Federer. :ph34r:

How many times is he going to run away from a Fed/Rafa final?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That was ****ing awesome Novak!

Bit torn for tomorow, really want Nadal to get that US title but that was so great.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Come on Fed, save us from the one-dimensional abject boredom that a Djokovic-Nadal final will be.

Spare us commentators doing loads over the fact blokes just hit the ball back like machines and let's have a bit of artistry in the final eh?

Cue a Jono "you're ignorant" comment cos I disagree with him. :p
Hasn't beaten a top 10 player this year (though he may today tbf).. A myth IMHO, biggest downhill skier on tour.

Edit: he's broken here for 6-5. If he serves it out I will have to waste a morning tomorrow
watching the epitome of new-monied Euro douchebag trash square off in the final. Dire.

Though at least Novak has a decent haircut, Nadal's is a joke.
The irony of you being a Sydney Swans supporter, a team that played ugly football, has not escaped me :ph34r:

Burgey

That was ****ing awesome Novak!

Bit torn for tomorow, really want Nadal to get that US title but that was so great.
Just switch on that Pong game Roddick played against in those TV ads for a preview of it..

Only Pong has more personality :ph34r:

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, Djokovic finally toppled Federer. Not sure he has enough left in the tank for tomorrow.
This is where Super Saturday is unfair for the players. Really tough for the player that played in a second semi to be up for tomorrow, particularly when their match goes 5 sets.

Having said that, apparently in the 11 year history of 'Super Saturday', the player who played the second semi has won 9 times. :shrug:

Burgey

The irony of you being a Sydney Swans supporter, a team that played ugly football, has not escaped me :ph34r:
The irony of you liking a team that refuses to win matches at all, let alone refusing to play in a dinner suit is not lost on me.. :p

Where's Murphy anyway? He's always into the Swans.. Suppose he's busy relocating to Manuka Oval?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Novak winning was bitter sweet. That was a terrific tennis match (except for your Anil's and Burgey's who expect everyone to play in one style :ph34r: ), but it's a bit of a shame that we've never had a Fed vs. Rafa final at the US.

Burgey

Novak winning was bitter sweet. That was a terrific tennis match (except for your Anil's and Burgey's who expect everyone to play in one style :ph34r: ), but it's a bit of a shame that we've never had a Fed vs. Rafa final at the US.
I don't expect everyone to play with one style..

Just with some style...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Look, I'm not going to try and argue that Nadal is more attractive to watch than Federer, who is the most talented player I've ever seen (if not the most talented sportsman I've ever seen).

But to not actually think Nadal plays some amazing shots, and has one of the most unique forehands in the history of the sport, is just hating him on for the sake of hating on him.

You can't play one of the greatest matches of all time like this baby without both players being amazing to watch.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
That was an epic epic match. Made my day. Look write of Djokovic all you want, but be warned that you do it at your own risk. He will make it interesting tomorrow, and I wouldn't think now that Nadal is a guarentee for the final. Novak's a great player and he is what tennis needs as well like Nadal and Fed and Isner. It's going to be a great match tomorrow and I would not be surprised if Nadal loses it either. Saying that I am pulling for Novak but I do think that it's going to be MUCH more competitive than an straight sets blowout. Say what you want about Novak but remember that he has a Grand Slam for a reason.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I haven't done the calculations but I suppose Federer and Djokovic will be playing off for the No. 2 rank in the semis.
Yep. As it stands, Federer is on 6,735 and Djokovic is on 6,665.
If Djokovic beats him he gains 480 points because he's defended semi final points from last year. That gets him to 7,145 regardless of the reslt in the final while Federer is at 6,735.

I could very well be going wrong somewhere here, but that's how I'm reading it.

EDIT: Didn't see it went to another page.
It's academic anyway, as Federer will beat him.
Now that it did happen, if SBI is right, and Novak is #2, this could have a very interesting effect on the Australian Open.

It is plausible that from between now and the ATP World Tour Finals, where the 8 best players play off, that Novak will outperform Federer. Novak generally enters more Masters 500 and 1000 tournaments than Federer, so I imagine he'll earn more points (although he's defending a win in Paris, which will be difficult).

That being the case, it is incredibly possible for Federer to enter the Australian Open ranked (and hence seeded) 3. If this happens, it is possible he is on Rafa's side of the draw.

Burgey

Look, I'm not going to try and argue that Nadal is more attractive to watch than Federer, who is the most talented player I've ever seen (if not the most talented sportsman I've ever seen).

But to not actually think Nadal plays some amazing shots, and has one of the most unique forehands in the history of the sport, is just hating him on for the sake of hating on him.

You can't play one of the greatest matches of all time like this baby without both players being amazing to watch.
Tennis is like boxing.. Styles make fights. I don't hate Nadal btw, I just get the ****s when Federer refuses to play to the standard I expect of him.

As for style, Nadal and Djokovic are ugg boots and acid wash, Fed is a Paul Zileri suit and an Italian silk tie.

Doesn't mean the first two aren't decent blokes though, though tbf I think Novak is a douche tbh. Nadal seems very self-effacing.

Edit: how does Novak get to number two when he's beaten one top ten player all year? One of those things about the system I guess. And tbf he's always played **** loads of tourneys.

Last edited:

vcs

Tennis is like boxing.. Styles make fights. I don't hate Nadal btw, u just get the ****s when Federer refuses to play to the standard I expect of him.

As for style, Nadal and Djokovic are ugg boots and acid wash, Fed is a Paul Zileri suit and an Italian silk tie.

Doesn't mean the first two aren't decent blokes though, though tbf I think Novak is a douche tbh. Nadal seems very self-effacing.
These guys have 5-6 years advantage on Federer, no point expecting him to play like he did in 2005 and 2006. He still produces plenty of magic moments in every match (among all the shanks and misses) and that's good enough for me. He might win another major, but he's going to need plenty of luck with the draw.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That is such an awesome result.

Fed, get scared buddy. Rafa is on his way to his first US Open final!
Haha you're wrong, but we'll see.
Nope. So long as the match is played at night, Rafa can turn it in. His ball dies at night, which can get WRECKED by anyone with a decent inside-out forehand. Verdasco should knock him out in the quarters. If not it'll be a Fed v Nadal final, but Fed should walk away with title number 17 at that time and then announce retirement.
I'd like to see that too, and I think we're heading for a classic match here but I think Elena will have more in the tank. That said I know you love Rafa, but he's never really had game in New York so I never really expected him, nor will I until he proves me wrong, to ever get it. At the Aussie open he did well when he won that major but I think a lot of other factors helped play into why he did win there. For example the Semi-Final and Final were not blistering hot nor blistering humid like it gets in New York. Also he played those matches in the afternoon as opposed to the dead of night, which kills his ball (as I've stated many times before). That mixed with the chatty New York crowd which he doesn't enjoy mid-match and I think he allows too much to get on his mind while playing here. I think it's different because at other parts of the world he goes to people show up to see great tennis where at in New York they show up more to be entertained. He's always been over-rated in New York and I think he always will be. He's won the French and Wimbledon yes but those were two wildly different surfaces than the hard courts of New York and in two vastly different climates (from pleasant and mildly warm in France to mildly overcast and cool in England). The ball in New York just acts different than in Australia or France or New York, and that's partly because they use Wilsons over here, which Nadal has never posted good results with either. That's why I think there's just too many factors that Nadal has not been able to dominate with than at other slams or tournaments, so I don't expect him too. Certainly Federer is the favorite, but I must say Nadal's odds should be evened with those of a big slugger like Verdasco, who can really slam forehands like we saw from Del Potro last year. Certainly if Nadal were to face Del Potro at the slam here again this year then Martin would blow him off the court, so him being out is a tiny blessing in disguise. Having said that it's just that Nadal is too over-rated, and at the New York it's for his own good. I think it's fallacy to take results at the opposite hemisphere on opposite surfaces that do things way different than that of the hard New York courts and use them to predict what will happen. That's partly why results here at the Open are the best precursor to what will happen. That can't be said for Murray this year, and certainly he was better than 3rd round, but without a coach you wont' go anywhere at any major. Having said that this is why Federer looks so good right now, partly because he's good at the Open and has been. It's been his most successful slam for sure (slightly more than Wimbledon yes) and I think that's why he looks like the clear favorite, where as Nadal's game just never seems up to par here in North America. For me I'd put money on Verdasco, because since Nadal has under-performed for whatever reason here in the US, you might as well use the overly unintelligent hype towards your advantage. It will certainly be interesting to see but looking at the draw if Nadal does knock out Verdasco than he's got a favorable into the finals. This could give him the extra push to win it, but I still wouldn't like his chances over Federer, or even Soderling actually, but it is the quarterfinal he needs to win in order to even give himself a hope at winning the US.
That was an epic epic match. Made my day. Look write of Djokovic all you want, but be warned that you do it at your own risk. He will make it interesting tomorrow, and I wouldn't think now that Nadal is a guarentee for the final. Novak's a great player and he is what tennis needs as well like Nadal and Fed and Isner. It's going to be a great match tomorrow and I would not be surprised if Nadal loses it either. Saying that I am pulling for Novak but I do think that it's going to be MUCH more competitive than an straight sets blowout. Say what you want about Novak but remember that he has a Grand Slam for a reason.
Prepared to admit you were wrong yet Spudsy, or do I have to wait til tomorrow when Nadal is holding up the US Open trophy?

;)

In all seriousness though, I agree with you. Novak could win tomorrow, no doubt. But on the evidence of this tournament, it's going to be tough.

It isn't 2006-2008 any more. Nadal has come into this tournament fresher and with better tactics to handle the US Open surface. He's more attacking, and serving better than he ever has in his career. He was always a real good chance to win the title.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Tennis is like boxing.. Styles make fights. I don't hate Nadal btw, I just get the ****s when Federer refuses to play to the standard I expect of him.

yep that's what jono never seems to get...and the way he played today, he gets away with that against lesser opponents like soderling but djokovic was too good a player to pass up that opportunity...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yep that's what jono never seems to get...
What don't I get?

a) If you're saying I don't get that contrasting styles make tennis matches, than that's blatantly untrue. I said a few pages back that Soder vs. Fed is some of the most fascinating tennis because of how different they are. Obviously same with Nadal and Fed.

b) If you're saying that I don't get that Nadal is 'ugg boots and acid wash', well of course I don't 'get' it, because it's a friggin dumb thing to say and I strongly disagree with such a statement.

I remember Burgey's posts during the 09 French Open when Juan Martin Del Potro was taking it to Federer (the official arrival of JMDP) and Burgey was acting as if it was absolutely ridiculous that someone like JMDP could take Federer to 5 sets and almost beat him. And I came in this thread pissed off at such statements.

Just because players like Berdych, Soderling, Nadal and JMDP don't have the attractive strokeplay and one-hand backhand like Federer doesn't mean they're not great to watch.

Or should I accept the Anil way of watching tennis. That is anyone nowadays that isn't Federer or Henin is **** and not worth watching :dry:

Spare me. The negativity of your posts in this thread since Federer's decline is palpable.

Last edited: