• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think the big chink in grecian's argument may be that Federer is indeed incredibly special and we're witnessing the greatest career in tennis history and near future. It's impossible to know right now for sure and that's why this argument is impossible to have. We talk about this regularly in our group, and agree that it might be the peak of men's tennis for the next 50 years, maybe more. Add Nadal to the mix (even leaving aside Djoko) and it is obvious why it may be considered the golden age for many generations to come.

With the ladies, while it's obvious Serena is a touch above the rest and an incredible player, she hasn't played transcendent tennis like Federer or Nadal.

grecian

Think the big chink in grecian's argument may be that Federer is indeed incredibly special and we're witnessing the greatest career in tennis history and near future. It's impossible to know right now for sure and that's why this argument is impossible to have. We talk about this regularly in our group, and agree that it might be the peak of men's tennis for the next 50 years, maybe more. Add Nadal to the mix (even leaving aside Djoko) and it is obvious why it may be considered the golden age for many generations to come.

With the ladies, while it's obvious Serena is a touch above the rest and an incredible player, she hasn't played transcendent tennis like Federer or Nadal.
nonsense, if that's the chink in my argument it proves my point utterly. Fed does something it's incredible, serena does something it's meh.

Watch Williams dismantle Sharapova in the 2012 Olympics final, it's as close to perfection as you'll get in any sport, and I say that as soeone who desperately wanted theother player to win.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Serena is equally amazing in her own right. It's just that people don't notice her skill when her physicality and athleticism are so outstanding. With Federer, it's the other way around, his skill tends to overshadow his immense fitness and mental strength.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Am I wrong or did Federer win this without dropping a set in the entire tournament? At 35? What a ridiculous player. While I disagree with grecian about there being no difference in competitiveness between the men's and women's in recent years, I do agree that the past couple of months has shown that without the big 4 the men's cupboard is otherwise looking pretty bare. Makes you appreciate freaks like Fed and Nadal all the more.

Last edited:

grecian

Am I wrong or did Federer win this without dropping a set in the entire tournament? At 35? What a ridiculous player. While I disagree with grecian about there being no difference in competitiveness between the men's and women's in recent years, I do agree that the past couple of months has shown that without the big 4 the men's cupboard is otherwise looking pretty bare. Makes you appreciate freaks like Fed and Nadal all the more.
Serena also did it at the Oz open, whilst pregnant.

social

I couldn't be bothered watching so much as a point in the entire tournament as every time I checked, the matchups just seemed so underwhelming

Funny thing is that I am personally playing more tennis now than I have for years so I obviously like the game but the top level just seems so meh

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sampras had the same arguments against him at the time. There weren't that big competitors. Winning a slam isn't exactly easy. You have to go through seven opponents over two weeks.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Grecian, I agree about you on how WTA is over shadowed by the ATP most of the time. But at least with respect to Serena and Federer, I think it also matters how they look while they dominate. Federer looks a lot more graceful to the average watcher than Serena and believe it or not, that does play a part in all this. If we see Serena play like Federer does, I am sure there will be a lot more praise thrown her way for the same things that Federer gets praised for right now. There is definitely a bit of ***ism in how ATP is always considered greater than WTA but I dont think its that major a reason when it comes to how much praise Serena gets compared to Federer.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
it is racism and ***ism in serena's case...why her achievements are often belittled i mean...
I don't think anyone belittle's Serena's achievements. She's pretty universally regarded as an atg and a modern legend of the game.

DriveClub

International Regular
The reason men's tennis is followed more is because it's played at a significantly higher skill level. That's reality, wta will always be in atps shadow because they just don't match up in skill level. This will be the case for most sports including cricket, football etc. Don't know why people keep cribbing about it.

harsh.ag

nonsense, if that's the chink in my argument it proves my point utterly. Fed does something it's incredible, serena does something it's meh.
Winning and dominating is not the same thing as transcendence.

I don't even know why we are arguing about this. When Federer plays like he can, it's beyond beautiful. You feel like you're watching something magical. It's not the case with Serena. Full stop. And I love Serena. Been cheering for her since around 2010 (I think)

harsh.ag

Fwiw, I don't think WTA's struggling. But its highest ranked players are beaten quite frequently in the majors (apart from Serena) and that points to a lack of elite level players (again, apart from Serena).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well women's sport is generally at a lower standing than men's sport. Less people watch it and think highly of it. It's true across the board. Similarly some sports are more followed than others. Was Sobers less of a champion as less people know about him? Serena is a great champion. I am not sure what we are arguing about here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't back against Federer at the US Open either right now given the injuries and dorm of his biggest competitors atm.