• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 4m
Bayern Munich have turned down Man Utd inquiry for Müller two weeks ago. Player will not be sold, to any club. (via @Bild)

Maybe United fans should just change their red shirt?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I think it's definitely a good signing because they needed a striker so desperately but it is definitely also still to some extent a gamble, yeah. His credentials really amount to one good season. He'd had a couple of decent seasons before this one but nothing outstanding. Again also I don't think he features that highly on the list of strikers who offer the most apart from goals.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Again also I don't think he features that highly on the list of strikers who offer the most apart from goals.
His link-up play isn't great but you do get a hell of a lot of energy out of him. Strikes me as a player who would be a total nightmare to play against but not great to play with.

No use denying that it's a very good signing. There's surely no better striker they could have got for cheaper.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Paying £30m+ on a player is always a bit of a gamble, but I think when you take everything into account with Costa, it's one of the better gambles one could make.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's definitely a good signing because they needed a striker so desperately but it is definitely also still to some extent a gamble, yeah. His credentials really amount to one good season. He'd had a couple of decent seasons before this one but nothing outstanding. Again also I don't think he features that highly on the list of strikers who offer the most apart from goals.
Talking about it from an Arsenal POV. If we had Chelsea's money then sure, go for it. I'd be more gutted if they got Cesc.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Sounds like Cesc to Chelsea is really happening. Don't know how to feel tbh. A mix between gutted and angry.

duffer

Sounds like Cesc to Chelsea is really happening. Don't know how to feel tbh. A mix between gutted and angry.
When you consider the prices for other players 30m is a snip for the guy who was the best midfielder in the league. Emergence of Ramsey and the purchase of Ozil means we really don't need him at the moment. We still have to replace Sagna, find competition for Giroud and get a backup keeper.

That being said, we have first option on him and he loved playing at Arsenal. We surely can't watch him strengthen a direct rival by a huge amount.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I would be slightly less leaved if I was confident of us actually filling those areas regardless. We've had no serious links with anyone and the only mutterings from within the club have been confirming that we're NOT going to get someone (Aurier, Cesc). Meanwhile the three sides above us are already getting transfer business done and it looks like Chelsea are going to have a complete side before even the WC starts.

I don't care if he's not needed in some theoretical mystical fully fit first XI. We've never had any of those and we probably won't for a while either. Flamini and Arteta started enough games together last season for the rubbish about him not needed being redundant.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd be far more sad than angry if Cesc ends up at Chelsea. I wouldn't blame Cesc himself at all, he's a player in his prime, and should be playing for a top side. If Barca want to kick him out, and Chelsea are the only side that are prepared to stump up the cash and make a move for him then what's he to do?

What grates with me most is the fact that Barcelona were real ****s about acquiring Cesc from Arsenal in the first place, causing Arsenal to give up their best, most beloved, and most talismanic player, only for them to then give up on him after a few years for seemingly no good reason. He'd have been due a testimonial for Arsenal by now if he had stayed ffs. The fact that he's now apparently signed for Chelsea when he could quite conceivably still be playing for Arsenal is absolutely horrid.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Oh yeah, I have no anger with Cesc himself. From the sounds of it, neither Arsenal nor Barca want him, so why should he care about upsetting them. I'm more angry at the club for allowing our clubs best player in the last ten years join a rival who will now have no weak points in their team/squad.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There are very few players who've played for Arsenal over the last decade or so who really showed a passion and fight for the club (I hate using these words, because they're often just trite cliches - but I feel they are appropriate here). The select few that showed this, for me anyway, will always be thought of as "Arsenal players", regardless of what happened to them and where they ended up.

For me, Cesc is the only player since Vieira, Henry, and Bergkamp who has struck me as being truly Arsenal through and through. You could tell than on the pitch he absolutely gave it his all, and that when he left, despite being overjoyed to join Barca, it was with a heavy heart. I think he will always be a favourite of mine, and an Arsenal guy, but the idea of him playing for Chelsea of all people...****ing hell.

duffer

There are very few players who've played for Arsenal over the last decade or so who really showed a passion and fight for the club (I hate using these words, because they're often just trite cliches - but I feel they are appropriate here). The select few that showed this, for me anyway, will always be thought of as "Arsenal players", regardless of what happened to them and where they ended up.

For me, Cesc is the only player since Vieira, Henry, and Bergkamp who has struck me as being truly Arsenal through and through. You could tell than on the pitch he absolutely gave it his all, and that when he left, despite being overjoyed to join Barca, it was with a heavy heart. I think he will always be a favourite of mine, and an Arsenal guy, but the idea of him playing for Chelsea of all people...****ing hell.
Vieira spent summers flashing his **** at Real and United. Great, great player but just a mercenary who we got the best years of.

Eds

International Debutant
Well it looks like Barca are getting Rakitic for £15m now.

Fabregas sale not looking so bad.