• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A bit late, but: Rotherham boss Steve Evans hits back at Millwall: Bottle it? I've got 12 bottles of Champagne - enjoy League One - Football - Sport - London Evening Standard

Steve Evans told Millwall striker Lee Gregory to "look forward to League One" after Rotherham secured their Sky Bet Championship survival and sent the Lions and Wigan down...

South-Yorkshire born Gregory had said he "(hoped) Rotherham bottle it" in their final two games of the season, which would have allowed his side the chance to stay up.

And Evans was quick to remember those comments in the aftermath of the Millers' victory.

In a live interview with BBC Radio Sheffield shortly after full-time the Scot said: "A Millwall player said we've not got bottle. I've got 12 bottles of pink finest Champagne and we'll be drinking them for about a week.

"Look forward to League One, son, and keep your trap shut."
:laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Our fans want him too. Seems he won't be a Tranmere player next season.
He just turned up to a speaking event at Exeter a week ago. Yeah wish him well.

On a happier note Gimp we need a midfielder, is this Max Power any good, ill-wind that blows no good I say.
He's out of contract like, mid season he was reportedly attracting championship clubs but he's not that good yet. I like him. Some of our fans don't, but he'll give his all and he scored 13 this season. Needs a ball winner next to him and he'll thrive.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm not sure if that's an especially valid reason for eschewing any good performances he's had tbf. Chelsea are a side that is clearly set up to play to Terry's strengths. I'm not sure saying "he'd do worse if he was playing for a side that didn't set up in this way" is really a particularly convincing criticism. Or at least, if it is, it would be broadly applicable to loads of players.
Yeah, it's a hallmark of a good coach to recognise his players' particular strengths and play to them. Terry was utterly useless under AVB but that's hard to hold against Terry particularly, as playing a high line with a defender like Terry is ****ing stupid.

He would be hopeless in a Guardiola team but there's more than one way to skin a cat; he'd be amongst the first defenders I'd consider if I wanted to play negative anti-football like Mourinho.
I'm not really sure it's a system specifically to suit Terry tbh. I just think Mourinho sets his side up very well defensively. CBs get protection from tucked in fullbacks, strong DMs. What other highly rated centre backs do you think would struggle or look worse playing for Mourinho's Chelsea? Maybe some of their skill set wouldn't be noticed as much but I don't think they'd actually perform worse. It's not a benefit to regularly be exposed/isolated.

This isn't to discredit Terry ftr. You can only do it in whatever circumstances you're given. I just don't rate the current version quite as highly as a few other CBs at top clubs.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Intended barbecue rained off but can't be bothered with Hull v Arsenal so watching a 38 year old journeyman win the World Snooker Championships.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's out of contract like, mid season he was reportedly attracting championship clubs but he's not that good yet. I like him. Some of our fans don't, but he'll give his all and he scored 13 this season. Needs a ball winner next to him and he'll thrive.
I read Rangers were looking at him, but not sure he needs to step down a level at this stage of his career....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I read Rangers were looking at him, but not sure he needs to step down a level at this stage of his career....
Yeah aside from the obvious step down it would be from the conference, we get nothing for him if he goes there. Lose lose

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Really hope Arsenal can keep up their strong end to the season and finish second. Symbollically I think that'd be a huge improvement over previous years. If that's accompanied by another FA Cup win I think the season on the whole can be considered a very good one.

Pothas

Just the Champions League defeat to Monaco that stops it being an excellent one really. The general trend is certainly upwards though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
An intriguing question is who Arsenal look to sign in the summer. The obvious answer is 'a striker' but I can't actually think of a name of someone who'd realistically be available who would represent a clear and obvious upgrade on Giroud.

Football in the last 5 mins there was incredible. Shame half time came when it did.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
There's bene some negativity about Arsene saying he won't look to bring in lots of players, but I think we only need 2 or 3. I want a GK, a DM/CM who is strong in possession and all-round awesome and a forward (preferably a nine who is better than Giroud but I'm not sure one exists in the market at the moment). I'm thinking Cech/Lloris/Leno, Gundogan/Xhaka and no ****ing clue for the final one.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just the Champions League defeat to Monaco that stops it being an excellent one really. The general trend is certainly upwards though.
Yeah, that was just so weird as well. In some ways it was just typical Arsenal, but in others it's amazing how a team that has looked as effective as Arsenal have this year could blow it against a side like Monaco.

One also wonders how things might have differed if Wenger had bought Gabriel in August, thereby circumventing the need to play Monreal at centre back for all those games. No point thinking to much about ifs and buts, but that's the only other significant point of annoyance that I can pin on this season.

Pothas

Any chance of Benzema moving on from Madrid? Is usually something talked about at this stage of the season.

Someone better than Mertesacker, is that Gabriel?