• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Herrera and Shaw. They were allegedly interested in Kroos at one point. That's the only German I know of. Don't know much about Herrera but hopefully he's a proper midfielder and not another Mata/kagawa who really want to play behind the striker.
This is a worry because IMO his best work has actually been at 10. He is also a recognised CM though as well which Mata and Kagawa aren't.

Stating the obvious, but Hummels would be a terrific signing.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So that's it then the "Golden Generation" gone, unless Cashley makes a comeback. Well they had a few decent matches, but in the end they did okay to get to Quarters, which is all England should hope for, they and we aren't that good. Perhaps it really was golden. Yet any thought of us winning things was always twaddle.

duffer

Hummels for 16m would be ****ed up. No way he should go for less than 30 million in todays market.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Why would Dortmund consider selling Hummels? Why would Hummels want to go to Manchester United? Why, even if those two questions can be answered, would the price be as low as £16m when he's worth more than that and United have shown they're not worried about paying 30m + for the right players?

Btw, that last article only really says that Dortmund have shown no interest in selling. It's basically suggesting that by signing the hottest young German defensive talent for a cheap price when he wanted to join means they want to sell Hummels....

And even that Independent article only seems to be saying Barca have backed out.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Why would Dortmund consider selling Hummels? Why would Hummels want to go to Manchester United? Why, even if those two questions can be answered, would the price be as low as £16m when he's worth more than that and United have shown they're not worried about paying 30m + for the right players?

Btw, that last article only really says that Dortmund have shown no interest in selling. It's basically suggesting that by signing the hottest young German defensive talent for a cheap price when he wanted to join means they want to sell Hummels....

And even that Independent article only seems to be saying Barca have backed out.
He is odds-on to be at United after the transfer window, and odds-against to be at Dortmund. Mats Hummels Club After Summer Transfer Window Betting Odds | Football Betting | Oddschecker

Bookies are far more reliable than newspapers on this sort of thing for very obvious reasons. Seeing as they also have us odds-on to sign him ridiculing it as you are seems a bit silly.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So that's it then the "Golden Generation" gone, unless Cashley makes a comeback. Well they had a few decent matches, but in the end they did okay to get to Quarters, which is all England should hope for, they and we aren't that good. Perhaps it really was golden. Yet any thought of us winning things was always twaddle.
More or less my thoughts.

Gerrard's a decent enough player, but one I've never really liked, and he punched that bloke in a bar, and I'm not terribly sad to see him go. Out with the old, in with the new.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbf to the Golden Generation, weren't there like 10/11 Englishmen in the Champions League final 2008? I know you'd obviously expect that with two English clubs but the fact English clubs were so successful in that era shows that those players were very strong at club level. They were obviously very, very good players, despite the international failures.

grecian

Tbf to the Golden Generation, weren't there like 10/11 Englishmen in the Champions League final 2008? I know you'd obviously expect that with two English clubs but the fact English clubs were so successful in that era shows that those players were very strong at club level. They were obviously very, very good players, despite the international failures.
Well that was kind of what I said, there is nothing shameful getting into the quarters, and being close to going further. It was just this expectation they were World-beaters, and blame of the management when they didn't achieve the over-due hype. In the end most of the biggest stars of those sides where forn anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well that was kind of what I said, there is nothing shameful getting into the quarters, and being close to going further. It was just this expectation they were World-beaters, and blame of the management when they didn't achieve the over-due hype. In the end most of the biggest stars of those sides where forn anyway.
Tbf, golden or not it was, on paper, an England side of quality we could only dream of now

James was average - keeper was the weak spot
Neville - class
Campbell/Terry/Ferdinand - clas
Cole - best in the world at that point
Beckham/Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes - all class but clearly couldn't all fit into the same side
Rooney/Owen - class

Sadly they all peaked separately, didn't work as well as a team as you might (or might not) have suspected and the backups were by and large not of the same quality

Was it a golden generation? Probably not but on paper the best England side of my time.