• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Mourinho strikes me as way more hypocritical than Ferguson.

His whinging in the lead up to the PSG game particularly so seeing as his Clasico tactics for 2 years were 'stick Pepe in midfield and assault as many Barca players as possible.'

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also, the fact there are no Chelsea fans on here means you can really stick the boot in without pissing people off. Though I appreciate some might enjoy the pissing people off part.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Watched the vid of Stevie and Jamie picking their sides for the Charity match. Such good banter, but also a melancholic reminder of the glory days...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, the fact there are no Chelsea fans on here means you can really stick the boot in without pissing people off. Though I appreciate some might enjoy the pissing people off part.
Yeah but you can get into heated arguments here with fans of other clubs and end up wanting Chelsea to win by default. My enjoyment of a hilarious late-season Chelsea crash would be tempered by Smitteh digging my provocative old posts to stick the boot in.

Wednesday night was just awesome though.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I wouldn't bother digging your posts, I'd just bring it up again next season when the entire thread claims Chelsea as undisputed champions 7 games into the season again for the 14th year in a row.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Liverpool are the biggest club mentioned. I just don't want us to be paying him 100-150k when he loses his pace.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Would be really annoyed if Theo left. He has a unique skill set and we missed him so much last season.

But I wouldn't be that surprised if it happened. He's hardly played recently for some reason. City also need homegrown players and he's better than Navas.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Would be really annoyed if Theo left. He has a unique skill set and we missed him so much last season.

But I wouldn't be that surprised if it happened. He's hardly played recently for some reason. City also need homegrown players and he's better than Navas.
From an England pov, I want to see Walcott playing regular first team football in a set-up that's going to bring his game on. By rights that should be Arsenal, and I always worry about English players going to Man city and disappearing without a trace. If he does leave Arsenal, maybe Everton would be a beneficial move for him. Or even Liverpool, playing behind Sturridge rather than on the right.

EDIT
Just read Duffer's post about Liverpool. Great minds and all that.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He's not Sinclair though. He's a proven player in the premier league at a top club. If Navas can get game time so can he. I doubt Everton could really afford his wages, especially if they get no European football next season.

I think he's got things pretty good at Arsenal though, so I'm not sure why he'd leave. Though maybe I rate him higher than Wenger does and he's actually slipped behind Welbeck and Chamberlain in the pecking order. In which case I can probably understand a potential move from both the player and club's perspective. I think he's still the third highest earner at the club, so if he's not in the first team picture...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What was your earlier point about Man City needing more English players? Is there some ruling that's slipped through my radar?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, you need 7 homegrown players in your Premier League and Champions League squads. Homegrown isn't just English, it's people who have trained in England for a few years before their 21st birthday, so people like Gael Clichy get in, but they're still quite short. If Milner leaves I think they'll be needing to bring people in. Lot of talk about Barkley for instance.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, you need 7 homegrown players in your Premier League and Champions League squads. Homegrown isn't just English, it's people who have trained in England for a few years before their 21st birthday, so people like Gael Clichy get in, but they're still quite short. If Milner leaves I think they'll be needing to bring people in. Lot of talk about Barkley for instance.
Thanks. I suppose being in the squad still doesn't mean starting regularly, but I don't know if there's a maximum squad size with that ruling. It strikes me that Walcott's being a bit optimistic leaving for a better team if the idea is to get more first team football. I do quite rate him though, so I hope it all comes to something.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think all the English blokes currently at top clubs that are thinking of forcing a move are a bit crazy. At least Milner has entertained the idea of a lower wage and playing abroad, but I don't really know what Walcott or Sterling think are going to improve for them if they stall on contracts or whatever.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The generous view would be that they're being badly advised by their agents.
The less generous take on it would put it down to greed + stupidity.