• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
For similar reasons as to why you're not allowed to block throw ins and other dead ball situations, I imagine. Obvs the situation is a bit different when the keeper is kicking it out of his hands, but I imagine the rationale behind the rule is more or less the same.

cpr

International Coach
Thats surely down to his lack of match practice rather than his designated position? Surely Barca wouldn't tell a £70m striker 'if you do find yourself in an advanced position which you used to score from, try and remember to pass this time'. Rather his lack of game time means he's less confident to take it on, and doesn't want to come across as too selfish to new teammates.

I'm sure he'll come good in his new role, once he gets his teeth into it.....

Eds

International Debutant
Don't think either of them are playing a genuine CF role right now. Messi ends up dropping deep to CAM quite a lot and Neymar & Suarez are given license to cut inside ahead of him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Messi's days as a true centre forward are numbered according to various sources. Bloke has played in over 400 competitive matches and isn't even 28 yet. Doesn't have the legs for it anymore.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That's what comes of appointing someone as clueless as Warnock - losing at home to Sunderland, despite the best efforts of Wes Brown to reverse the position, and generally looking clueless.

With most of the bottom teams finding some sort of form, relegation beckons, surely.

So how do we persuade Warnock to just **** right off and put anyone else in charge? ,

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah not a very high quality match I think it is fair to say. Some nice goals from Sunderland though.

I can't believe they actually appointed Warnock in the first place.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah not a very high quality match I think it is fair to say. Some nice goals from Sunderland though.

I can't believe they actually appointed Warnock in the first place.
Given the seeming dearth of other options it never struck me as being that surprising to be fair. I'm sure hardly anyone was happy with the appointment, and I'd include the Palace higher management in that regard, but I honestly can't think of anyone significantly better they'd have had any chance of getting.

Pothas

Nah you really can.

I know Leeds are well...Leeds but he did a poor job there and he has never done anything of note in the Premiership. I suppose when they said they wanted someone with Premiership experience they limited their options because there are loads of better managers than him in the Championship that they could have gone for.

Last edited:

grecian

It was an appointment of pure stupidity, plenty of young managers out there, forn and British, all desperate for a Prem job, even at Palace.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This is true. I think the timing of the whole thing was probably quite significant too. Pulis; quitting just moments before the start of the season, it was probably not the most appealing prospect time-wise for any manager to jump ship. From some perspectives anyway.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It seems like they wanted someone as close to Tony Pulis as possible. Except Pulis had a record of consistently keeping teams up, where Warnock has the opposite.

Pothas

Haha yeah, if they really wanted an 'old school' manager they could still have done better. Even Mick McCarthy would have been a better appointment.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He is good at moaning about the ref in that 'I am kind joking' way though.
He was one of the forerunners of it really. It is probably his most hateable attribute actually. One of those people who is more unpleasant when trying to be chummy than when he is in full-on rant mode.

I still remember that time he spent several minutes on Match of the Day 2 trying to convince how everyone how Shola Ameobi was one of the best players in the Premiership though. That was funny, so it redeems him a little in my eyes.

Pothas

Basically that we should differentiate between how Qatar won the bid which is obviously a joke and the fact that if we are ever going to have a World Cup in the middle east (which it should) then some change would have to be made as to when it would be played.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Basically that we should differentiate between how Qatar won the bid which is obviously a joke and the fact that if we are ever going to have a World Cup in the middle east (which it should) then some change would have to be made as to when it would be played.
Yes, good point that.