• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Won the premiership in flukish circumstances.
No way it was a fluke. The Eels and Dragons choking is irrelevant, the Tigers were a damn good side that year and they got hot at the right time. Prince/Benji is one of the best 6/7 combos of the last decade.

howardj

International Coach
this is another reason to hate the new system, 2 strong chances of a gf preview, takes the shine off it if they just played a couple of weeks ago I reckon
With the new system, at least we know when we sit down to watch the games, what the consequences of wining and losing are

The old system was a farce in that regard

howardj

International Coach
still, that the team that finished 3rd could get eliminated in the first week, never sat well with me (and I suspect a lot of folk)

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
this is another reason to hate the new system, 2 strong chances of a gf preview, takes the shine off it if they just played a couple of weeks ago I reckon
There are a lot of reasons to hate the new system, but IMO the best part about it is you get theoretically higher quality matches in week 1. 1v8 and to a lesser extent 2v7 is putting teams with a bigger gulf in quality up against each other, and those matches were often fizzers as a result. The matches this week are absolutely awesome. I'd rather watch Dogs/Manly than Dogs/Broncos any day.

The consequences in the old system were known by the second match. I thought that was a good thing because the supporters of the clubs that had played earlier would be more interested in the following games as they had a direct effect on the fortunes of their team. Can understand why some didn't like it though.

It's just the "this system is more fair" argument that annoys me.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
still, that the team that finished 3rd could get eliminated in the first week, never sat well with me (and I suspect a lot of folk)
They got a home final against the 6th placed team with a pretty reasonable chance of a week off if they won. This year they get an away final against the second placed team for a week off. 3rd place has pros and cons in both systems.

howardj

International Coach
There are a lot of reasons to hate the new system, but IMO the best part about it is you get theoretically higher quality matches in week 1. 1v8 and to a lesser extent 2v7 is putting teams with a bigger gulf in quality up against each other, and those matches were often fizzers as a result. The matches this week are absolutely awesome. I'd rather watch Dogs/Manly than Dogs/Broncos any day.

agree 100%

Broncos v Cowboys will be a much better game

And imagine under the old Storm v Sharks in Melbourne – it would be a cake walk

Whereas Raiders v Sharks will be a cracker

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
And imagine under the old Storm v Sharks in Melbourne – it would be a cake walk

Whereas Raiders v Sharks will be a cracker
You know Sharks and Melbourne played an awesome game at AAMI stadium only a week ago with Melbourne securing a 20-18 win with two tries in the final 3 minutes? The Sharks are no pushover this year.

But it's not that the old system would never throw up good week 1 games, it's just that it's less likely.

howardj

International Coach
they only needed to change the order of the matches to fix that
that's true but the consequence of that would be that by the time 3 v 6, and 4 v 5 played, we could have known that those games were irrelevant (provided that 1 beat 8, and 2 beat 7)

howardj

International Coach
You know Sharks and Melbourne played an awesome game at AAMI stadium only a week ago with Melbourne securing a 20-18 win with two tries in the final 3 minutes? The Sharks are no pushover this year.

But it's not that the old system would never throw up good week 1 games, it's just that it's less likely.
Good points, all

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I prefer this system, mainly because it provides greater reward for top 4, as you get a definite second chance, win or lose.

But I also believe it is more realistic for a bottom 4 side to get on a run and win the comp. I much rather be Brisbane for example in this format, playing 5th not 1st. You can build momentum gradually in this format. Rather then going all out to beat 1st and peaking too early.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hasn't been borne out that way in the AFL thus far; 46 of the last 48 preliminary finalists finished in the top 4, I believe.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hasn't been borne out that way in the AFL thus far; 46 of the last 48 preliminary finalists finished in the top 4, I believe.
Key difference between the two sports is the benefit/disadvantage of the week off. In NRL I believe the week off isn't always a positive thing, as it does effect momentum. The last time we had this format (95 i think) the Bulldogs won from 5th spot. Many Manly fans believe the week off killed our momentum in that finals series.