• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2011-12

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Unlikely Young will be a starter though. He'll get plenty of games but I'd wager Nani and Valencia are ahead of him.
I would think all 3 will start equal number of matches. With the in form ones starting the bigger games.
Park would also be in contention too.Though both Park and Young can play centrally too.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Young isn't that good, IMHO, but I guess that's the premium for average English players with the news rules. Oh and Veron was hideous in English football, cut Fergie was somewhat bailed out by Ranieri, I often wonder what would of happened if he wasn't, Fergie did blow a lot of money on ****e in that period. Bellion, Klebersen, Veron, Djemba Djemba, Miller.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It was a great time in sport tbh, United were ****, England were beating everyone in cricket and Tendulkar averaged around 12 in that period. ****ing great times.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair I'd say Forlan is just one that didn't come off rather than a shocker. His direness at United is an aberration in a fantastic career.

£30m for Berbatov has to be one of the worst.

grecian

To be fair I'd say Forlan is just one that didn't come off rather than a shocker. His direness at United is an aberration in a fantastic career.

£30m for Berbatov has to be one of the worst.
Same could be said of Veron too, if he's not good for the team you signed him for, he's not a good signing.

oh and Smalling has proved little yet, Cevno.

sigh, picking arguments with United fans, I must be bored, I think it's because Exeweb is doing this type of thread. I do realize the classic quality of "bloke down the pub told me" stylee threads, but they're getting a tad tediuos.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
He was a pretty good player tbh.

Just did not fit into the system with Scholes and Keane around and also the tempo of English football.
Which is why it was £28m spunked, you'd kind of expect when your spending £28m to either
A) Know a player will fit and adapt to the team/league.
B) Be that desperate for quality in that particular position.

Can say the latter was definately not the case. At the height of our strongest ever midfield when we signed Veron. Admittedly he wasn't a complete carthorse, and if he'd have been about £5m and not a huge name he'd be in the Anderson position of was he/wasn't he worth it....

sigh, picking arguments with United fans, I must be bored.
Theres a difference between picking arguments and pointing out facts. Alas most utd fans (no accusations of those on here) can't tell the difference.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Which is why it was £28m spunked, you'd kind of expect when your spending £28m to either
A) Know a player will fit and adapt to the team/league.
B) Be that desperate for quality in that particular position.

Can say the latter was definately not the case. At the height of our strongest ever midfield when we signed Veron. Admittedly he wasn't a complete carthorse, and if he'd have been about £5m and not a huge name he'd be in the Anderson position of was he/wasn't he worth it....
We got back 15 million for him from Chelsea IIRC?

Yes ,he has made bad signings too like every manager but the ratio of good to bad is what counts.
At the end of the day he is human too and so are the scouts ,so there are bound to be bad signings.Ronaldo alone made up for Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson that summer and plenty more.

Nobody is disputing the fact there have been bad signings too(i even listed 2:p) so listing them out is futile because if you start listing the good decisions then the list is massive and that's what counts.

Young is also a heaps safer signing than any of the above mentioned as he is premiership proven with Proven statistics and is only coming for 15 million which is not much in today's market for domestic English talent which is right side of the age bracket.

oh and Smalling has proved little yet, Cevno.
He has shown large potential tbh and has been pretty decent in the games he has played(was the best player at the recent u21 euros for England too). He will prove a very good signing in the long term.

In any case even discounting him can list heaps of players if you want me too.

The 80 million for Ronaldo actually makes up the net loss on every player mentioned so far ,btw if we are going to start talking fees as people seem to be mentioning.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
That couldn't have gone in 1 post because....
Because it is late night here and i am feeling sleepy and Cbf multiquoting and then only leaving the relevant portion in each quote after editing at the moment.:ph34r:

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
And done.

If anything it makes reading it difficult and the points open to be taken out of context:p. But there you go.....

grecian

That couldn't have gone in 1 post because....
Because each post was so horribly boring and dull, that they had to be split up, because that way one post couldn't totally sink the internet with a black hole of tedious love for the jocko ****, and a string of rubbish players.

cpr

International Coach
We got back 15 million for him from Chelsea IIRC?

Yes ,he has made bad signings too like every manager but the ratio of good to bad is what counts.
At the end of the day he is human too and so are the scouts ,so there are bound to be bad signings.Ronaldo alone made up for Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson that summer and plenty more.

Nobody is disputing the fact there have been bad signings too(i even listed 2:p) so listing them out is futile because if you start listine the good decisions then the list is massive and that's what counts.
Young is also a heaps safer signing than any of the above mentioned as he is premiership proven with Proven statistics and is only coming for 15 million which is not much in today's market for domestic English talent which is right side of the age bracket.
Way to blow my point out of proportion.

First of all, it was PF, then yourself, who started with the figures. PF states Fergie would be pretty sure about spending £17m on someone, all i did was point out the failures over £17million. Never once said the bad outweighed the good, or they should be tallied against each other etc, just merely pointed to one hell of an expensive flop (£13 million loss, before wages....). I'm personally looking forward to seeing Young play for us, and I think it'll be a good signing, but I'm not blind to the fact Fergie does make expensive mistakes from time to time, here's hoping we've seen the last of them.

It might be worth looking at my location and avatar before launching into a Utd-defence post with me :cool:

grecian

First of all, it was PF, then yourself, who started with the figures. PF states Fergie would be pretty sure about spending £17m on someone, all i did was point out the failures over £17million. Never once said the bad outweighed the good, or they should be tallied against each other etc, just merely pointed to one hell of an expensive flop (£13 million loss, before wages....). I'm personally looking forward to seeing Young play for us, and I think it'll be a good signing, but I'm not blind to the fact Fergie does make expensive mistakes from time to time, here's hoping we've seen the last of them.

It might be worth looking at my location and avatar before launching into a Utd-defence post with me :cool:
Yeah, but that just proves you're a secret Citeh supporter. :p

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

And this is why i was posting each post seperately,Marcuss .:laugh:

Cpr that post was not targetted at you specifcally ,but was meant to be a stand alone post to others like Grecian and Neil Pickup etc... who were just listing bad signings only.... after PF listed the figures and made that statement.

Nobody is disputing that so engaging in listing them out continuously is a bit futile.

To say that Young who is a proven premiership performer would not succeed because Veron,Kleberson,Djemba Djemba did not is pretty ridiculous tbh as some are doing in this thread.

Checking back PF was claiming that Sir Alex won't spend 17 million on Garbage or a useless player.
You posting a Veron Pic there wasn't justified either as he wasn't "Garbage" ,infact he was among the best ACM'S in world football. He wasn't used properly if anything.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Because each post was so horribly boring and dull, that they had to be split up, because that way one post couldn't totally sink the internet with a black hole of tedious love for the jocko ****, and a string of rubbish players.
The Rubbish players and manager who have had unprecedented success over the last 2 decades and more?
Or only the ones specifically that won the Premiership last season and reached the CL final? Bitter much?:p

grecian

The Rubbish players and manager who have had unprecedented success over the last 2 decades and more?
Or only the ones specifically that won the Premiership last season and reached the CL final? Bitter much?:p
Nah, mines a Stella thanks.......