• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's been better than last season's Ngog, but that is saying very little. In my eyes, he's been wasting countless opportunities in all competitions so far. He has scored a couple aswell, but when you're playing as a lone striker (the majority of the time) for a club like Liverpool, you will be given bountiful opportunites to score.

TOIVONEN INNNNNNNNNNNN
How true is that though? Alright they're the 5th or 6th best team in the league, but they've also been one of the most defensive. Besides, it's seriously tough playing up front alone, and Ngog is particularly ill-suited to it.

I think he's okay. Not terrible but not really the type of player Liverpool would expect to be looking for.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
How true is that though? Alright they're the 5th or 6th best team in the league, but they've also been one of the most defensive. Besides, it's seriously tough playing up front alone, and Ngog is particularly ill-suited to it.

I think he's okay. Not terrible but not really the type of player Liverpool would expect to be looking for.
Yeah, would largely agree with this. To his credit the guy does seem to put in a fair amount of effort and hard work. But unfortunately when you're just not very good there is only so far this will take you.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBF Spurs played 4-4-2 against Citeh's 4-5-1 last week and completely schooled them. Bit simplistic to just blame the formation.
Considering it was our first game we played it for an entire game against City...it's simplistic enough. Anyway, the City that played us was a tad different than the city that played them.

4-4-2 is not going to cut it when the majority of sides now play 5 in the middle and most have a middle 3. Amateurish stuff. What was worse is that we conceded 3 in 67 minutes and it took Roy another 10 minutes to make a change.

He wasn't hot last night, but tbf to him he's been doing okay lately hasn't he? Haven't seen much so going purely off what the pundits were saying and match reports in the press.
Ngog > Babel. Nnanden's a bit harsh with the former and too easy on the latter. Ngog is getting better and better but starting both forwards in a 4-4-2 where they've not played any games nor are they suited to was foolish. Ngog does seem to waste some chances but that inconsistency comes with his age. He works much harder than Babel and is in the right position much more often than he is.

Also, must say that people seem to think 4-2-3-1 is a defensive formation. It is not. The greatest piece of evidence against it was the season we came runner-up and scored the most in the league - and that's with Torres and Gerrard only playing some 14 or so games together. As with all formations, personnel is important but with a 4-2-3-1 you are looking to dominate possession and in order to create more chances that would seem to be one of the more important traits you'd need.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Liverpool having to deal without Gerrard and Torres is one of the most overrated excuses ever.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Liverpool having to deal without Gerrard and Torres is one of the most overrated excuses ever.
We scored the most goals in the league without our two best players/top scorers playing much together. Where is that an excuse?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Would say barring Gerrard and Torres, the team they had out the other night against City is worse than Arsenal's man for man. Oh, and Reina also a massive exception to this as well obviously.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Also, must say that people seem to think 4-2-3-1 is a defensive formation. It is not. The greatest piece of evidence against it was the season we came runner-up and scored the most in the league - and that's with Torres and Gerrard only playing some 14 or so games together. As with all formations, personnel is important but with a 4-2-3-1 you are looking to dominate possession and in order to create more chances that would seem to be one of the more important traits you'd need.
Agreed with this. 4-2-3-1 can be very versatile and allow you to shift to 4-3-3 and/or 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 or 4-2-4 whilst counter-attacking and breaking.

We play this formation with a number of the senior teams at school and, whilst it takes a bit of getting used to for the boys, particularly in terms of positional discipline for the two wide midfielders and the two holding midfielders, who also can need encouraging to get properly stuck in, but I won't be changing tactics any time soon.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We scored the most goals in the league without our two best players/top scorers playing much together. Where is that an excuse?
Wasn't replying to you. I just hate hearing Liverpool fans mention that Gerrard and Torres were missing for x amount of games as though they're the most unlucky side in the world when it comes to injuries.

Your 14 figure, is that starts or appearances?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
4-4-2 is not going to cut it when the majority of sides now play 5 in the middle and most have a middle 3. Amateurish stuff. What was worse is that we conceded 3 in 67 minutes and it took Roy another 10 minutes to make a change.
Bit harsh on the 4-4-2 formation TBF. Liverpool & England in the WC had the wrong players for that formation. But United this season so far & Munich in the CL last season - made the formation look good.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't replying to you. I just hate hearing Liverpool fans mention that Gerrard and Torres were missing for x amount of games as though they're the most unlucky side in the world when it comes to injuries.

Your 14 figure, is that starts or appearances?
I'd have to check mate, I remember reading it in an article. This says they started 12 games together that season. His soccernet profile has Torres being subbed in 4 EPL games so, even if we were to say Gerrard was present in those matches it is 12 starts and 4 sub appearances in 38 games.

From memory, they didn't really play a whole lot together. When Torres was injured Gerrard was fine and when Gerrard was injured Torres was fine.

It may sound like an excuse but if we had Torres for more games I am fairly sure we could have made up the difference and won the title.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Question for the English: how do you think it would go down if Capello picked Arteta?

I reckon the media is already looking for the jugular and it would just be one more thing to attack him with.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Question for the English: how do you think it would go down if Capello picked Arteta?

I reckon the media is already looking for the jugular and it would just be one more thing to attack him with.
Would cause a massive stir for sure, think the media would not be overly pleased at all. Myself I don't really mind. Ideally I suppose I would rather an English player, but he's as English as Keven Pietersen is I suppose, so I'd have no major qualms. He's certainly one of the most talented players eligible for selection in any case.