• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Of course you are aware that their (not at all unexpected) failure will impact on Rangers don't you?

cpr

International Coach
Given counts. If anything the new ruling will push prices for half decent young English players to an even more insane level.

Newcastle capturing Gosling on a free could possibly one of the best bits of business this summer. Another one we were talking about today... nothing stopping a club taking a punt, then flogging him on after a season if it doesnt work, cant really make a loss.....

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know Yaya can play at the back, but do you think he'll get used their often? Obviously a DM qualifies as a defensive player, but it wasn't a postition you were exactly lacking in.
Kolarov and Boateng were good buys though.

Craig

World Traveller
Newcastle capturing Gosling on a free could possibly one of the best bits of business this summer. Another one we were talking about today... nothing stopping a club taking a punt, then flogging him on after a season if it doesnt work, cant really make a loss.....
They have also picked up Sol Campbell on a free transfer as well.

In other news, Javier Garrido is almost certain to leave Citeh and join Lazio as Kolarov's replacement. And seeing Raul play for Schalke will be interesting.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Of course you are aware that their (not at all unexpected) failure will impact on Rangers don't you?
I'm quite happy for them to qualify for the group stages of the Thursday Cup and go on a bit of a run for the sake of the co-efficient, if that's what you're getting at.

Given our financial state though, the extra couple of million we'll get as a result of Celtic failing to qualify is hugely important.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm quite happy for them to qualify for the group stages of the Thursday Cup and go on a bit of a run for the sake of the co-efficient, if that's what you're getting at.

Given our financial state though, the extra couple of million we'll get as a result of Celtic failing to qualify is hugely important.
Have I missed something, I don't get this

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit late here because I've been in Glasgow for a week. But no, I don't think Gerrard is comparable to Keane or Vieira. The closest equivalent of today would be Michael Essien, but he doesn't visibly influence the performances of everyone else in the team quite the way Vieira and Keane did. Gerrard isn't in the same mould at all, much more attacking, comparable to (but imo better than) Lampard or Scholes. It's telling that if someone had suggested that Vieira or Keane play out of position they'd have been universally lol'd at.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know it's not what you're getting at, but Keane played centre-back for Man U on a fair few occasions

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Have I missed something, I don't get this
The money teams earn from TV rights in the Champions League goes into a pot specific to that country: the greater your domestic TV audience, the more money you earn. It's why a couple of seasons ago Bayern Munich made more from the Champions League than the eventual winners Barcelona.

If Celtic go out, Rangers take the entire TV pot for Scottish clubs. If Celtic somehow make it to the group stages, the Scottish TV money gets split. I'd reckon Celtic getting knocked out is worth at least £2m to us.

vcs

Bit late here because I've been in Glasgow for a week. But no, I don't think Gerrard is comparable to Keane or Vieira. The closest equivalent of today would be Michael Essien, but he doesn't visibly influence the performances of everyone else in the team quite the way Vieira and Keane did. Gerrard isn't in the same mould at all, much more attacking, comparable to (but imo better than) Lampard or Scholes. It's telling that if someone had suggested that Vieira or Keane play out of position they'd have been universally lol'd at.
Better than Scholes? Coming from a ManU fan? :D Can't say I agree, at all.

Uppercut

Better than Scholes? Coming from a ManU fan? :D Can't say I agree, at all.
It's a pretty difficult question to answer. As with Bergkamp, there's huge variation in how highly Scholes is rated. I don't think there's a player in Premiership history I'd have swapped Scholes for but I do think Gerrard's the better player.

The interesting thing about the comparison is how much they've changed over their respective careers. Scholes started out as a striker in youth sides and made his name as a free-scoring midfielder, before reverting to a box-to-box passer late in his career. Gerrard has done almost exactly the opposite.

Craig

World Traveller
Carles Puyol has come out and said that it's a mistake by not selling Fabregas to Barcelona 'because Fabregas already has his heart in Barcelona', but next year Puyol believes that he will join Barca. It's absolute BS that Barcelona have been able to get away with this, I'm no Arsenal fan but I'm glad they're not going to allow themselves to be bullied by Barca to sell Fabregas to them.

WAC.

Uppercut

Presumably you're not being ironic either. They've essentially taken one of Barcelona's best young players for free because Spanish regulations didn't let them offer a long-term contract, got five years excellent service from him, then offered to sell him back for £30m. Not that I give a damn, but it's laughable that people see Arsenal as the good guys in this saga.