• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope Lenny Hayes gets a hold of this match on Saturday. He is the definition of a big game midfielder. The sort of **** who can will himself to every contest and get harder and lower. The question will be whether he'll have enough help in there to consistently get the ball moving forward.

A big issue for me is forward line pressure. I think St Kilda have to play a defensive forward on Nick Maxwell. Maxwell's biggest asset is his ability read the play and just zone off and get to the drop of the ball. If you put the onus on him to mark an opponent, all of a sudden Collingwood lose the innitiative in the backline, opposed him him just floating around taking uncontested grabs.

If the saints, in particular your Schnieders and Milnes, can pressure the kicks coming out of the backline it will go a long way towards negating one of Collingwoods biggest assets, their movement from the backline. O'Brien is a key here, as is Dale Thomas when he drops back.

On the flip side, St Kilda have to display urgency and precision coming out of their backline. Collingwood are the best pressure side in the comp, it's the main reason for why they clinically disposed of Geelong. They need to help out each other so they can spot a target coming out of defence. They possibly need to take a leaf out of Collingwoods book and come out of defence along the boundary when a clear option isn't available in the midfield, that way, if there is a turnover their re-entry into the fifty becomes harder than if you have the whole 50 to spot a target.

Collingwood have a distinct style, they'll work the boundary. If you play man on man, you can't stop a lead up target provided the kick is good enough. They'll hit up along there all day. What St Kilda have to do is employ a zone to chop those link men off. But it's easier said than done.

I reckon Collingwood by 4 goals. But I hope Sainters get up in a close one.

Norm Smith: Allan Didak.

Matt79

Global Moderator
In 2003, Rocca out suspended was a huge thing for us. Structurely he was the most important player we had that year and was in career best form. In the end we went down without a whimper. Have to lol when people say the MRP don't suspend players for GFs. 02 - J. Cloke got done. 03 - Rocca

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Correct me if I'm wrong here, as Riewoldt may have won one recently. But the media bleats on about the Brownlow being a midfielder's medal all the time, backmen and forwards are underappreciated, etc.

When was the last time a key position player won a media award?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Brownlow is most definitely a midfielder's medal nowadays, but I'm sick of how that gets all the attention yet no one complains about the Coleman medal being a forward's medal :ph34r:

pasag

RTDAS
Just got home and noticed my neighbours had a Collingwood flag up. You really think you know some people....

howardj

International Coach
Collingwood seem too keen to emphasise how normal this week is, and how relaxed they are. I suppose they have to say something when they're being interviewed though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just got home and noticed my neighbours had a Collingwood flag up. You really think you know some people....
You think that's bad? I put up my Collingwood flag yesterday, and this morning I came out and found the pasty kid from next door, who's some kind of marketing nerd, standing on my lawn in his Craig Bradley pyjamas, clutching his Brycey Gibbs soft toy, pointing at it and making the bushman click/grunt noises he uses. That wasn't great, but what was really heartbreaking was that the poor kid had wet himself.

You think you know your neighbours. :no:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Correct me if I'm wrong here, as Riewoldt may have won one recently. But the media bleats on about the Brownlow being a midfielder's medal all the time, backmen and forwards are underappreciated, etc.

When was the last time a key position player won a media award?
Key's occasionally win the MVP, but I can't remember the last time they won a Brownlow.